• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • F. Townsend
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2004

Help removing chrome drip rail trim

I have nice new (plastic) chrome drip rail strips ready to go on my 1989, but I am having terrible trouble removing the old ones.

Someone said that they just slide off but that is clearly not always the case. I was able to pry off/break off some but still a lot to go. There is no rust beneath.

Has anyone removed these?

Any tips/pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank
  • Duke(Gwag)
    232 I6
    • Jan 14, 2007

need pic's
    DUKE ()

Comment

Heat them up, Propane torch on low.................watch the PAINT!!!
      Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
      Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• my 2j20's
        258 I6
        • May 26, 2005

use a bottle opener! 2 works best..

Comment

• FSJ-Earl
          304 AMC
          • May 02, 2003

I starte3d at one end with a small screwdiver, pryed the top lip off and then carefully slid my finger to seperate, when I came to a tough spot,m I used the screwdriver, a bottle opener would work well as suggested earlier.
          FSJ-Earl
          2002 F350 Diesel - tow rig / family hauler
          2008 4 door JK Rubicon - Wife's Daily Driver
          1989 GW - the one that started it all
          1983 - J15 - J10 body + J20 running gear = J15 Trail rig

Comment

• Chrome
            Ph.D in Redneckology
            • Aug 30, 2002

TORCHES?!! BOTTLE OPENERS?!! JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE THIS IS CHROME WERE TALKING ABOUT HERE!!!! I think I need a Prozac.....
            ..,=====,o00o
            //__l_l_,\____\,__
            l_---\_l__l---0
            lllllll0
            _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\

Comment

• 91G-Dub
              360 AMC
              • Aug 21, 2004

Originally posted by The Chrome-a-nator
              TORCHES?!! BOTTLE OPENERS?!! JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE THIS IS CHROME WERE TALKING ABOUT HERE!!!! I think I need a Prozac.....
              91G-Dub = Bill Houston

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running
              1991 Grand Wagoneer Gray Ghost (bone stock) STATUS Gone but not forgotten

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
              It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• schnerdad
                232 I6
                • Dec 26, 2004

Hopefully these suggestions (from the members here) will help you out there Frank... I'll be do'n the same this spring, and am look'n to buy some new trim for my GW....Share some info if you'd please, Where did you get your New Drip Edges from? Cost?
                87 GW... TFI and MSD 6A Upgrade "THE GiFT"---- "Grizwald Family Truckster" 2000 Jimmy..."Mama's Ride" 89 Cavalier College Kid's Beater

Comment

• F. Townsend
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 27, 2004

Well, I finally got back to the drip rail trim replacement and thought I would post the results.

In retrospect, I think it was a lot harder to do when I first tried because of the cool weather at the time- the plastic covering of the old drip rail trim was very brittle and tended to break apart as I pried it off. On a hot sunshiny day, the plastic was softer and everything went much more smoothly.

As others said, the way to start is with a small screwdriver blade tip pushed into the space between the very rear of the drip rail trim and the drip rail itself. Not under the lip at first, but between the two lips. The idea is to get the top lip to start to come off. Once it's started, then you can use your fingertips to pry the top edge off little by little. If there are hard parts, then use the screwdriver again to get it going. Eventually the whole thing should start to peel off, going from the back to the front of the Jeep.

The stainless steel corner piece just clips on with small obvious tabs. The front pillar drip rail extension then comes off in the same way as the roof piece.

Once I had everything off, I inspected the drip rail for rust, etc. Mine was not too bad, but was dirty. After scraping off any rust I found, I used some degreaser to clean the rail and rinsed. Once everything was clean, I used POR-15 metal prep followed by some clear POR-15 down in the rail and touching up some small divots I made with the screwdriver.

After the paint dried, I opened up my new trim rails. For ease of installation, I applied some silicone grease to the lower edge of the drip rail. Then, starting from one end, I hooked the top edge of the trim over the drip rail all the way from from one end to the other. Once it was lined up evenly with the metal ends, I just snapped the lower hooked edge into place walking the length of the Jeep as I did so. The silicone grease did seem to make things easier. I did the same with the pillar pieces and finished off with the stainless corners.

The new trim looks much better than the old yellowed stuff!

New replacement rain gutter trim can be found at:

Comment

• jc turtle
                    258 I6
                    • Dec 05, 2002

Hi Schnerdad, You can get the mouldings from your local Jeep dealer. They are reasonably priced, if I remember correctly. John

Comment

• scantar
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jul 16, 2005

Is the rail a pinch welded thing? Like if I wanted to trash the chrome (sorry Scott! someone get him a chair ) is the rail finished under there?

Steve
                      '76 Waggy, TH400, Quadratrac and a fourOH!one Sold

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL

Comment

• CowtownGW
                        230 Tornado
                        • Sep 08, 2007

anyone tackled this recently? BJ's no longer has it available - any ideas?

thanks,
                        Chris
                        '89 Grand Wagoneer
                        Fort Worth, TX
                        '89 Grand Wagoneer - 170,000 mi.

Comment

• Crist Clapper
                          I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
                          • Apr 28, 2008

CowtownGW: Anyone ever get you info on these? I'm looking too!

Originally posted by CowtownGW
                          anyone tackled this recently? BJ's no longer has it available - any ideas?

thanks,
                          Chris
                          '89 Grand Wagoneer
                          Fort Worth, TX
                          1990 Grand Wagoneer:
                          Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
                          Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)

Comment

Working...
                          X