• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

Sun Visor re-cover question

Hey guys. I found out that the material on sun visors are not sewn together, so I want to see about re-covering them myself. I already picked up the headliner material I'm going to need.

The mirror cover has a pad on it of the material. How do I get this off the door?

Has anyone done a set of these before? This is all I need to find out, then I can pull them back out of the jeep and cut the old material off. I found that after I cut it off, I can split the actual assembly in half by disengaging the clips around the edges. But I don't want to put new headliner material on them and still have dirty looking mirror covers.

oh and Rang, those trim rings ya sent me are coming out good. Got them repaired but still working on the finish. When done with them, I'm going to paint them the same black I painted my center console. Give a bit more of a contrasting look to the inside of the Jeep
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
    ...in pieces for more rust repair...
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

Oh, forgot to add this above.

Where can I get another of these decals/stickers?

I don't need it, but i'd like to get another to put back on the drivers side sun visor.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Sweet! (cups)

My visors are the cardboard looking crap so I am no help.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• ZackN920
        350 Buick
        • Nov 18, 2015

^Aren't those supposed to be vinyl covered?^

If I didn't have these mirror doors with cloth on them, I could get them done in one shebang!

So, no-one knows how to crack these little mirror doors in half? hmm. How about you prissy folks? You guys like your Jeeps being "fancily" restored, you should have been through this stuff. What'd you do?

...oh wait, the prissy types probably paid a shop to do it...

damn.

Comment

• Tripwire
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 30, 2000

I had a shop recover mine using extra headliner material from my re-do, so CALL ME PRISSY

I also found a extra mirror and put them on both visors

Trip
          Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• zyzx
            232 I6
            • Nov 26, 2016

I have done mine. They came out fine. You can buy a pretty good reproduction orange label from an Ebay seller. He's the only one that has these. He's based in Japan but he's fast and his reproduction stickers are quality. I actually just used the old one though. I cut the cloth off and re-glued to the newly covered visor.

To recover the actual visor, you don't need to spit it in half. Peel the old material off and clean off the plastic really well. Use the old material as a template. Line up the new material and apply glue to the visor. Use a small blunt flat screw driver or something similar to tuck the edges in, go all the way around and it should go in just fine.

For the mirror part, remove the whole assembly out of the visor. You 're going to have to remove it anyways first to cover the visor. Once out, you can split the edge apart using a razor blade or something similar. It should spilt with little effort.
            Last edited by zyzx; 02-27-2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• ZackN920
              350 Buick
              • Nov 18, 2015

Trip... ya priss.

lol

zyzx- Thank you! I didnt know if it would split or if I would ruin the plastic and just make it look really ugly by trying. If the mirror door wouldnt come apart, I would just leave the old material on the door rather than mess with it.
              Good to know about the label. I'll try to do what you did first before going out of my way and buying another.
              I know you say you don't need to split the visor for installing the material, but... Doesnt it have to be split to get the whole mirror assembly out if it?

I *plan* to get to this little project sometime this week. Does anyone want a "how-to" thread when i'm done? I always take pics so i'll probably have more than enough photos.
              I will update my headliner thread from the past, but that will most likely be a little more breif than a "how to". I'll also finally add what I did for the center console in that thread.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                350 Buick
                • Jul 09, 2009

Bleepinjeep over on the youtubes has a video on recovering the visors on an XJ. The later model Wagoneer's have the same design on the visor as the XJ's.

In this Video I'll show you how to remake your boring faded vehicle sun visor over into a custom one of a kind refurbished sun visor. For this video we'll r...

On the mirror pad.
                I went to Hommie Depot, and found a plastic Grout Cleaning Brush (found in the cleaning area, little white handle/ hard orange bristles). They are really hard bristles that will help clean off the contact glue, and foam from the headliner material used on them.

I used that on my mirror pads, and also my overhead console.
                (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• zyzx
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 26, 2016

The mirror assembly can be removed without splitting the visor. If you use a flathead screwdriver you can gently pry it out. That's how you would change the bulbs.

The way it's done by bleepinjeep would also work.

Here's a picture with the assembly removed and the visor un-split.

Comment

• ZackN920
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 18, 2015

Hey Asphalt, That's where I got my inspiration to want to do this myself from! That video just popped up one day in the suggestions when I was on youtube, and I'm like "holy ! Is it really that easy!" I looked at mine up close and realized I could split it. I always thought they were sewed up.

zyzx- I found that out, works quite easy using a 1" paint scraper. Just slip it in along the bottom to pull the tabs out. Then carefully work it the rest of the way.

I did the job today. It was ...interesting. Bit of a learning curve. Got the material apart, split the housing then put new material on. Im glad i split the housing because I was able to get the material in the spikes along the edge that help hold it nice and tight. No gluing on the front, just a little on the edges.

Bad luck with the mirror cover doors. I couldnt get the two halfs of the door to come apart. I was afraid of messing them up, so they still have old material on them. I used paint scrapers and even my exacto knife blade and couldnt get the plastic sides to split from each other. Even tryed working the one apart with my hands by putting pressure on the outside and holding the outer frame from the inside. Nope....

Bad luck with the trim/visor cups. They looked good but went to hell durring the install. The one broke down while tightening the screws into the headliner and the other one sounded (an i spotted them) like it cracked durring the same process. I thought they wouldve held together but... huh.

They were covered with a layer of JBweld on the backside and had a few layers of undercoat then paint on the front sides to help hide some blemishes. Well, if the visors come back off the Jeep, i guess I'll toss the cups. If i want some in the future i guess ill see about getting some metal ones from BJs or whomever i saw that had them.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 09, 2009

I bought these visor cups from Ross.
                      He's a great guy, and love supporting his hobby of making GREAT parts for us.

(Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• ZackN920
                        350 Buick
                        • Nov 18, 2015

Thanks for showing me that. Does he make the one's that BJ's sell? I've been on their site lately looking around at stuff and saw some they sell that look the same and are about the same price.

Comment

• PBG928
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 29, 2016

I took the material on the cover of the mirror off, cleaned off glue then sprayed the lid with SEM paint to match dash such as tan or burgandy. Of course recovered entire visor as well with new material.
                          1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                          1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer(sold)
                          1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                          1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                          1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                          1978 Jeep CJ-5 (sold)
                          1968 AM General M35 (Sold)
                          Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Comment

Working...
                          X