International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-20-2018, 11:16 AM
304 AMC

Funny you should ask. When I first saw where the water was coming from, I assumed my door was full of dirt and dust like the rear quarters were. When I removed the panel it was clean and dry inside the door and the drains were open (no rust! yay). Then I closed the door, poured water down my windshield and watched it leak like rayray311 showed. My plastic liner was old, dry rotted and falling apart. Then this thread happened:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=185010
I added this stuff to my list of to-do projects.

Honestly, I am hoping rayray311 does figure out a way to keep the water from coming inside the door. at all.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 04-23-2018, 12:59 PM
232 I6

Im gonna work on it next weekend...start tinkering around.
I pulled out the carpet this weekend to let it dry out

Dirty...cleaning suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Funny you should ask. When I first saw where the water was coming from, I assumed my door was full of dirt and dust like the rear quarters were. When I removed the panel it was clean and dry inside the door and the drains were open (no rust! yay). Then I closed the door, poured water down my windshield and watched it leak like rayray311 showed. My plastic liner was old, dry rotted and falling apart. Then this thread happened:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=185010
I added this stuff to my list of to-do projects.

Honestly, I am hoping rayray311 does figure out a way to keep the water from coming inside the door. at all.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:28 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Get a couple of cans of Tuff Stuff upholstry cleaner from any box store (Bi-Mart, Wally, or parts store), and an upholstry brush. May take a couple of sessions, but it works well for the heavy dirt/mud and grease/oil. Once you scrub it, wipe down with clean rags or an old towel.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:31 PM
232 I6

Welcome to Portland! We don't tan, we rust.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 AM
232 I6

Aint that true...this Jeep spent its whole life in southern California....its not used to this wet climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoggerFogger
Welcome to Portland! We don't tan, we rust.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:35 PM
304 AMC

This would be ALOT easier to explain if I took pictures (but I didn't); I think I have an idea, rayray.

So on my doors, there is the rubber door seal that is pressed on the body that is supposed to seal it from wind/water. This is the one we all know and love (and we can see you have it in your pictures, too). Then, when I open my door, there is a rubber channel that is pinned inside to the leading edge of my doors near the hinges.
This picture is not my jeep but you can see a tiny part of it on the far left of the picture:

On my driver side, this little rubber channel is soft and flexible and seems to land in a place so that when my door is closed, the water that spills out of the drip rail, would hit this little rubber channel and drain down the outside of my door seal. On the passenger side, the seal is torn and hard so I THINK water is getting passed that little channel and running down the inside of door and pooling on my floor.

I don't see this little rubber channel drawn in my service manual.

If that is the case with mine (I'll try to experiment with it this weekend) maybe that is Jeep acknowledging that water does overflow the drip rail at that spot. When you look at the inside of your door jamb, do you see this little rubber channel, too?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:16 AM
232 I6

Yeah I saw that I actually don't have that rubber piece....Im gonna experiment with some ideas this weekend to try to resolve this. Ill post what I do

Quote:
This would be ALOT easier to explain if I took pictures (but I didn't); I think I have an idea, rayray.

So on my doors, there is the rubber door seal that is pressed on the body that is supposed to seal it from wind/water. This is the one we all know and love (and we can see you have it in your pictures, too). Then, when I open my door, there is a rubber channel that is pinned inside to the leading edge of my doors near the hinges.
This picture is not my jeep but you can see a tiny part of it on the far left of the picture:

On my driver side, this little rubber channel is soft and flexible and seems to land in a place so that when my door is closed, the water that spills out of the drip rail, would hit this little rubber channel and drain down the outside of my door seal. On the passenger side, the seal is torn and hard so I THINK water is getting passed that little channel and running down the inside of door and pooling on my floor.

I don't see this little rubber channel drawn in my service manual.

If that is the case with mine (I'll try to experiment with it this weekend) maybe that is Jeep acknowledging that water does overflow the drip rail at that spot. When you look at the inside of your door jamb, do you see this little rubber channel, too?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 AM
304 AMC

I have a spare driver's door and the rubber channel thing is on it. I'll send it to you for shipping if you want it. I can't remember if it's soft or not off the top of my head.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:47 AM
232 I6

My driver door is good...I don't need the whole door. I probably just need to build myself that little rubber channel....unless its just easier to just buy that piece from you

Quote:
I have a spare driver's door and the rubber channel thing is on it. I'll send it to you for shipping if you want it. I can't remember if it's soft or not off the top of my head.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 AM
304 AMC

HAHA! That's what I meant! I can send you the rubber channel and it's little pins that hold it in, not the whole door.