International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Introduce Yourself.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 AM
Noob!

New '78 Cherokee owner

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself.

After owning a '78 Wagoneer for two years, i was searching for a Cherokee and found it 2 months ago in Atlanta.

I am 47 y old, father of adult twins, living in the northwest of Germany and love to bring old stuff to new life.
From 2013 to 2017 i completely rebuild a 67 Fastback, which was a lesson in keeping ambitions together

At the beginning of this year i bought a Mach 1 428 CJ Project which will start this summer.

Well, the Jeep was meant as a driver and advertised in a good condition, with a few holes in the quarter panels.

It arrived a few days ago and the condition is unfortunately worse.

The rocker panels are through, the inner quarter panels are gone by 30%, the rear wheelhousing isnt connected with the trunks floor and the floor panels are very poorly patched.

So, it will take now much more work to bring it back to life than planned.

But my love for FSJ's will bring me through and hopefully your support

Maybe somebody has an idea for my first issue:

Are the rear inner quarter panels really not reproduced or just hard to find?

Thanks for reading, have a good week!

Martin

Last edited by cheerok : 05-09-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:19 PM
304 AMC

Welcome. She looks good in the pic! So that's the start.

Check with Z&M Jeeps and BJs Offroad to see if they can help with sheet metal parts like that. If the answer is "NO", and it probably will be, ask in the wanted section to see if someone will cut some out for you. I have some rear flares someone cut for me. I cut some drip rail so a member could make a new piece for his rig.

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 05-09-2017, 06:47 PM
350 Buick

Sure does look great in the picture! Always a challenge buying without seeing/inspecting first. I don't know how you guys overseas do it. Look forward to seeing your progress.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, Aussie rear, LDS front, 4.10s
http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD
Old 05-09-2017, 07:30 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Welcome to the asylum, too bad about the seller not disclosing those flaws, not too sure how the chero was bought, ebay has some warranty, anything that is sold using mail or electronic communications is considered to be under the juridiction of the post office, and can be reported to the post master general as interstate crime, even as you are in Europe. I had a deal gone bad many years ago between Canada and the USA, got my money back after 6 months... I filed an online complain with both countries... forgot, it is called mail fraud...

How are the engine and transmission and axles behaving, what about the quadra trac transfer case, it does not look like you have a part time kit installed, no locking hubs on the front axle.

The rust damage description is typical of this vintage for vehicle exposed to marine weather. My 74 has all those symptoms... but at least the floor is still attached at the end of the transmission tunnel... check the A pillar structure at the roof line... and go to a car wash and check for water infiltrations at all 4 corners... of the wheel wells.

for body parts,

Z&M

http://stores.zmjeeps.com/rockers-quarters-bed/

or this vendor which does not have a good feedback for some customers , seems to carry the needed body panel

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/body-parts-4/

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work

Last edited by letank : 05-09-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Noob!

Thank you guys for your answers and hints, much appreciated!

In the past, when i bought cars overseas, most of the time i found somebody on site who was able to inspect it for me. So no bad surprises here.

But this time i bought from a dealer who looked very trustworthy, i also got lots of pictures but these areas were covered well. I also suppose that the rocker panels didnt have been checked at all there...

I will for sure contact them and ask how we're going to deal with that.
Nevertheless i knew, there was a risk for me.

But i was looking for exactly that model, in this color combination for a long time now.

Technicaly everything seems to be OK so far... Was'nt able to drive too much to see potential problems. But no strange noises from the drive train the engine is running very smooth. Just have to renew all rubber in the chassis and to limit the steering because the tires are rubbing...

The transfer case should have been overhauled, but it is leaking some drops a day, same with the engine.

The interiour is already out, in the next week we will seperate the cabin from the frame and start to disassemble.

I will do a seperate thread for that if people here are interested.

Again - thanks guys, have a good afternoon!

Martin
Old 05-10-2017, 02:57 PM
304 AMC

welcome, i like also this two-tone paint
Old 05-10-2017, 03:24 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Welcome to the madness

if you need entire 1/4 panel throw a wanted post up

BJS offroad has the flares
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Widetrack-...ar-_p_192.html
80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold