International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 08-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Noob!

86 waggie wiring harness in 87 J10?

Hi folks! I'm new here. I have been reading your forums for a while now. You guys have got some good info on here and have helped me solve quite a few problems and for that I thank you! Here is my latest problem.
I have a burnt up wiring harness in my 87 J10! I have a 86 Wagoneer donor that I have removed the under dash harness. FYI the fuse block on the 86 is not the same as 87. The pins on the through firewall block on the 86 run vertical and the pins on the 87 run horizonal. The size of the pin is different. I have already replaced the engine compartment harness and thought all was well! Sike! After starting the the newly rebuilt engine and flames shooting out from under the car from the headers I cut it off! Well my well meaning friend tried to start it to take it into a muffler shop only to find it wont start. Long story short, the harness under the dash is burnt to shreds!
Now that you have all the info here is my questions.
Does any one know if the wire positions on the fuse block is the same on an 87 j10 and an 86 wagoneer?
Thank you for any help you can give!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 AM
327 Rambler

You maybe able to find some help with the wiring diagrams at this site.

http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene
Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijess1
Does any one know if the wire positions on the fuse block is the same on an 87 j10 and an 86 wagoneer?
Thank you for any help you can give!

If the fuse boxes are not the same, then the wiring harnesses will be different also. Fuse locations in the panel will be listed in the diagrams linked above for the correct year.

You could try and find a wiring harness for an '86, you can repair the harness that you have (not as hard as it sounds), or you could remove the burnt harness entirely and replace it with a hot rod ("universal") harness from Painless or Easy-Wire or a dozen other suppliers.

One possibility - and likely what I would do - is to use the '87 harness as material to repair the '86 harness. Here is an article about the basics of repairing wiring - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ba...arted-1340134/

If I were repairing this harness, I would not replace any factory plugs that are melted, except for the bulkhead/firewall/fuse panel and the terminating plugs at places like the steering column. The plugs in the harness are there to make the car easy and fast to assemble on the factory floor, and are more of a liability than a benefit to the owner. Wire straight through, or use a replacement Weatherpac plug and socket.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 09-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Noob!

Hi folks! Thanks for your input so far! After further investigation I have discovered that the person that had the J10 before me doubled up the size of the fuses! I think that could have been what fried the harness. The layout on the fuse block itself is the same as on the 86 Waggie. I am about to begin the process of splitting the block and see if I can transfer the wires into the 87 fuse block. I will post pics later as well as results.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:06 PM

Front harness is the same up till the plug for the rear lights.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Noob!

Thanks TGREASE, The fuse panels are the same but when you split the block and try to transfer the wires is where I am having a problem. What I am trying to do is transfer the 86 harness into the 87 fuse block and I can't figure out what the pins on the 87 feed because some yahoo went in there and spliced all kinds of crap together that has no business being spliced! I am in way over my head but I don't quit! I guess that is why I own Jeeps. I would post pics but I can't figure out how to do it.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 PM

ijess1 I sent you a PM