• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

My tailgate doesn't lay 'flat'

I am embarking on an upgrade that includes a slider for a fridge and some sliding cabinets. This will mean that stuff will slide out of the cabin and over the tailgate.

But my tailgate isn't level with the cargo floor. When opened, the top most edge of the tailgate is almost 2" above the level of the cargo floor.
    I temporarily removed the hinges and it made it so the top most part of the floor actually went lower than the cargo floor (although the bottom of the gate is still a bit above the cargo floor).

Is this common? I think I can 'correct' this with some modified hinges. If this is normal, do you have any thoughts on why JEEP made it this way?

If your does sit more level, please let me know what year jeep you have and if you can, take a picture of your setup.
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

• Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

very pretty sure its not the hinges or torsion bars causing this ( if it wont go all the way down with weight on it) its probably the chrome folding arms on the sides that support the load - look into modifying those a bit? simply make a cut on both arms (on the same hinge) and weld in a inch or two piece onto both....you have to do the same to both arms to maintain the pivot point geometry.... do the same for the other side..

i would buy a spare folding arm and practice first...

pm me, i may have one for you if you cant scrounge one up locally
    Last edited by Tripwire; 05-23-2015, 03:03 PM.
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

Working...
    X