International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 05-12-2015, 12:51 PM
232 I6

AMC HEI unit bulltear

looking to swap to the AMC HEI Bulltear.
any one running this? and whats the set up? one wire hook up or more?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:24 PM
1st Chair, Cowbell

One wire. I ran my existing hot start/crank to a relay as the trigger and ran a pure 12v to the HEI. One wire is reduced voltage while cranking I beiieve. (don't remember which color, but you can figure it out from the wiring diagram) It won't work for the HEI, but it works fine as a trigger. I think using a relay is the way to go.

Mine runs fine, but I'm kinda disappointed in the cheesiness of the spring and coil contact to the rotor. It's my 1st HEI, so I don't know if they're all like that or not. I think they are. But it runs fine.

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 05-12-2015, 02:30 PM

you can get the same distributor on ebay for about 50 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 05-12-2015, 07:52 PM
232 I6

50$ on eBay huh just take the old gear off and put on the new HEI distributor?
And does this bypass the ignition module so I can just scrap it?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:28 AM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristow
you can get the same distributor on ebay for about 50 bucks.
No you cant. You can get the chinese equivalent for $50
"We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"
Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13evin
50$ on eBay huh just take the old gear off and put on the new HEI distributor?
And does this bypass the ignition module so I can just scrap it?

Yes, it does away with the ignition module. It completely self contained.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360
Old 05-14-2015, 08:51 PM

i wasn't aware anyone other than china/taiwan was making hei's. enlighten us as to where yours are made.

Quote:

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 05-15-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
i wasn't aware anyone other than china/taiwan was making hei's. enlighten us as to where yours are made.

I've been running 3 White Performance HEI with 8mm wires [>$99] for 3 years now. I did swap the gears to be on the safe side. One wire hook up--10awg hot at the harness plug.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:22 AM

i've run 2 skip whites. one was issue free,the other was junk. they looked like they were from 2 different suppliers.

my brother bought a mallory 85 series a couple years back,chinese junk and it self destroyed in short order.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 05-15-2015, 11:09 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
No you cant. You can get the chinese equivalent for $50

That's correct, but you could buy 4 of them for the price of the ones that you sell which is nice.

This is one part that I don't see the need to go to bulltear for, oil pump, mechanical parts? Every day of the week but a distributor? Too simple, too easy to fix. Even if you bought a cheap $52 SW off of eBay you can put all new guts in it, including a new HEI and still come out a bit ahead.
: Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg
Old 05-15-2015, 12:03 PM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

Quote:
All you need to know is the Chinese ones look almost identical. Skip white units are the Chinese ones.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:06 PM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probesport
That's correct, but you could buy 4 of them for the price of the ones that you sell which is nice.

This is one part that I don't see the need to go to bulltear for, oil pump, mechanical parts? Every day of the week but a distributor? Too simple, too easy to fix. Even if you bought a cheap $52 SW off of eBay you can put all new guts in it, including a new HEI and still come out a bit ahead.
You can buy a Chinese distributor and then youll need to swap the main shaft as well. Depending on the time of year, the rising of the sun and the attitude of the workers that made the main shaft on the Chinese distributor you can get one with the drive tang not cut deep enough. I say this after doing R&D on HEI units for AMC from 2003-2009 for several companies. We even had our own billet units we built with high end aftermarket guts. I still have all the models and blueprints for those. But as folks see it nowadays and I cant blame them .."why not buy a couple of $50 dizzys and get one that works for a while". That way you don't have to spend more.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 PM
232 I6

Quote:
All you need to know is the Chinese ones look almost identical. Skip white units are the Chinese ones.

I know i'm new here, but are you really against sharing your product info? Seems like a very snide remark to make to a customer base even if it is just an angry statement at one member.
: Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg
Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 PM
232 I6

Quote:
You can buy a Chinese distributor and then youll need to swap the main shaft as well. Depending on the time of year, the rising of the sun and the attitude of the workers that made the main shaft on the Chinese distributor you can get one with the drive tang not cut deep enough. I say this after doing R&D on HEI units for AMC from 2003-2009 for several companies. We even had our own billet units we built with high end aftermarket guts. I still have all the models and blueprints for those. But as folks see it nowadays and I cant blame them .."why not buy a couple of $50 dizzys and get one that works for a while". That way you don't have to spend more.

It's about value, if your oil pump sets were 2 grand i'd probably still buy one. I feel your pain and completely understand as well. Me and my company made racing parts for about 15 years, we had a flagship product that was eventually copied out by the chinese market for 1/5 the cost (and quality) however under the conditions that 90% of my target market used, it performed just fine.

I also explained to any customer willing to listen how they could go about making their own and what was involved - the people that were going to made their own and the people who didnt want to invest 5 grand into the tooling and equipment to do it themselves did not.

All that said, everything must be taken with a grain of salt because I can build, machine, or make whatever I need so I may have an advantage over some DIY'ers.

Last edited by Probesport : 05-15-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 PM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probesport
I know i'm new here, but are you really against sharing your product info? Seems like a very snide remark to make to a customer base even if it is just an angry statement at one member.

Not snide at all just not willing to share anymore. I used to give out engine blue prints, sources for mfgs, helped the aftermarket make good parts for AMC engines for free and give out and give out and give out. Would it change your life if you knew these were made in Spain? Ristow is a decent guy...maybe wished he was willing to not throw his opinion in the ring where the fact is different. But we both shoot from the hip.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:42 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Would it change your life if you knew these were made in Spain?

Yes, quite a bit I know more about labor regulation in Spain than I do in China so for me personally, I would now give your value a bit of a boost - I still think its over inflated for current market, but now worth easily double with that info.

Thank you for providing.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 PM
www.Bulltear.com Chief

I don't need a boost I just need to get our parts out of this penny ante' market where people are constantly comparing quality parts with garbage. It isn't worth $30 we make on the distributor to argue about it online. Look at the parts in a Chinese distributor and you would quickly see the bushings are made out of a different material, the plastic is different, the measurements but they look similar. Skip white should be kissing my rear and anyone selling the Chinese distributor because the guys who originally had that clone made needed help and I helped them with measurements. Eventually they quit listening and the market flooded about 5 years ago. /crabby
Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 PM
232 I6

Quote:
I don't need a boost I just need to get our parts out of this penny ante' market where people are constantly comparing quality parts with garbage. It isn't worth $30 we make on the distributor to argue about it online. Look at the parts in a Chinese distributor and you would quickly see the bushings are made out of a different material, the plastic is different, the measurements but they look similar. Skip white should be kissing my rear and anyone selling the Chinese distributor because the guys who originally had that clone made needed help and I helped them with measurements. Eventually they quit listening and the market flooded about 5 years ago. /crabby

We've all seen it, all of us who made niche parts. I can list off the same complaints for everything we made that was cloned. Resting on laurels will not help, complaining about the competition doesn't improve marketability.

Educate your consumers more, let knowledge and experience speak for itself instead of alienating an entire culture and those who may be customers that cannot afford a top tier brand.

This isn't the Rolls Royce board where people come to debate the merits of where their hidden in door umbrella was hand carved.

And since you don't need the boost, I retract all value based on the attitude and comprehension of the salesman.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:04 PM

i aint' attacking bulltear by any means. just saying all these aftermarket hei's look the same,and as far as i know,none of them are made elsewhere than china/taiwan. as i said above mallory is china now.

if someone is wanting 3 times the amount,it would be smart to put why,when most gearheads pretty much know these are all repacked chinese.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 05-15-2015, 01:05 PM

i bought a parts truck with a DUI in it. those are hi-buck. and it was cheap crap under the cap.

Quote:

Quote: