• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EL Grande Honcho
    258 I6
    • Jun 01, 2006

Towing my J10..what the heck am I doing wrong

Fellas:

Well, I was doing some chassis rust removal on my 1980 J10 build this morning, and decided to pull it out of my garage. I have the engine out and the front clip off. Well, I bought this tow bar from harbor freight that I bolted to the front frame. It takes a little patiences, and a tall hitch receiver, but I can hook up my F150 to it pretty easy to inch it out of the garage stall (I have about 6 inch clearance on both sides). Anyway, today I noticed that it was a little crooked, so I decided to pull it way out in the driveway, and then straighten out, and then back it in. I should say I'm good with a utility and boat trailer. Well, backing it up was a pain in the you know what. I did not have the drop pitman arm attached, so the wheels were pegging to the left everytime I tried to straighten the J10 out. Oh, yeah, I monster south Texas thunderboomer was about on me too, and the rust remover was still wet. I put the pitman arm on thinking that would give me some resistance, but, nope, still pegged to the left. I locked the steering, and that worked enough to skid the truck back on track.

Living down here, you see people using this front tow bars all time time hauling vehicles down to Mexico, with no one in the tow rig. Is the J10 just too big to pull like this? Once I put the engine back, wouldn't this be too much strain on the front steering when the F150 decides to turn? I guess someone could be in the J10 and steer just like you do with a tow rope. Is this the only way?

I know I could get a hauler to lift the front tires off the ground, or a trailer, but just looking for a way to get it to the body shop and/or exhaust shop, etc.

Oh, by the way, rain came hard, but I made it by 30 seconds! However, I spun the F150 tires once when i got my neighbor's lawn. He wasn't too happy. Gotta love these Jeeps!

• JeepinPete
    304 AMC
    • Dec 09, 2003

That is the problem with flat towing. They pull forward pretty well, but forget about backing up. About the only thing you can do is lock the steering and skid them around, pretty much as you described.
    Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
    Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
    Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• EL Grande Honcho
      258 I6
      • Jun 01, 2006

Originally posted by JeepinPete
      That is the problem with flat towing. They pull forward pretty well, but forget about backing up. About the only thing you can do is lock the steering and skid them around, pretty much as you described.
      When you pull forward, do you leave the steering unlocked?

Comment

• Elliott
        Cowboy Up
        • Jun 22, 2002

Yes, you want the steering unlocked. As far as backing up, hah hah, that's the way it goes.
        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• EL Grande Honcho
          258 I6
          • Jun 01, 2006

one other thing

The power steering gear box is dry. New re-manufactured unit. Is this okay for towing? Figured there won't be much pressure on the gear box, but wanted to make sure.

Originally posted by Elliott
          Yes, you want the steering unlocked. As far as backing up, hah hah, that's the way it goes.

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

I would think so... they musta used some fluid to put it together with... to lube the seals.
            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Long&Low
              350 Buick
              • Jan 03, 2008

Backing up with a tow bar is near impossible.
              Breakfast amounts to one live toad, I choke that mofo down, and I am rest assured that nothing worse will happen to me for the rest of the day.

CJ truck project
              '18 Jeep Renegade
              '15 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Working...
              X