• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snook
    232 I6
    • Jan 30, 2002

backfire 1977 wagoneer 360

the jeep backfires sometimes when i let off the gas after accelerating or sometimes when i let off the gas after just cruising down the road. any ideas? 1977 with a 360 amc momo. this thing has only 42,000 miles (real mileage, you should see this thing) and has been sitting for years before i got it. i'm thinking that maybe the intake valves are sticky and might free up after i drive it for awhile. any ideas?
    chuck emery, 1977 Wagoneer
  • J20 project
    304 AMC
    • Dec 27, 2000

Whoa, a man after my own heart. I ran a Jeep and a MOPAR for years myself. Unfortunately only have the Jeep now but I still have a 383Mag tucked away for the right vehicle, like maybe a 73-74RR. At any rate, check your exhaust system real well, it kind of sounds like you might have a hole somewhere. While accelerating you are dumping a lot of unburned fuel into the system and then it ignites when you let off as it sucks in more O2 to allow the explosion. J20
    BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
    775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• Sgt. Dave
      258 I6
      • Nov 05, 2001

If the AIR diverter valve is bad, or there's a leak in the system, it will cause it to backfire in the exhaust. Disconnect the air line to the exhaust manifold, and cap it. Should cure the backfire.
      \"If you don\'t have time to do it right, you sure don\'t have time to do it twice\"

Comment

• snook
        232 I6
        • Jan 30, 2002

thanks for the responses guys, i'll check it out.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: snook ]</p>
        chuck emery, 1977 Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
        X