International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Classifieds > "Look Here" for Parts, Vehicles and Vendors > Homegrown Vendors: (Members who produce FSJ related items)

Old 11-27-2018, 05:13 PM
232 I6

Seirhill Headlight Harness

Almost four years ago I purchased a Seirhill headlight harness. The improvement was imeidiate. No more loss of headlights on a hot night.
Recently, I lost high beams. I replaced the floor dimmer switch. The indicator light works. Now I have low beams and no high beams. I’m thinking the high beam relay is shot. I understand, that since I purchased the harness Seirhill has passed away. Therefore, I’m not sure to whom to direct my question to.

Last edited by patspickup : 11-28-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:43 PM
232 I6

If you're looking to buy a quality Serehill style harness I should have my first ones ready in a few weeks. Sourcing top shelf parts and is going to be a terminal to terminal build. 12 gauge load wire, Hella waterproof 40 amp relays, butt splices only where the wires "T" etc.
Price will be ~$90 shipped.

I'll post it here in the vendor section when its ready.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:31 AM
304 AMC

If anyone wants to buy a ready to run harness, they can contact Rob.
His harness for FSJ's is shown here.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=184652&page=2

However I think the question is about who to contact for fixing Serehill's harness, which is different design tthan Rob makes or Mass is intending to make. Partspickup, if that's your question, I think the answer is we'll have to solve it here on the forum. Rick's son was intending to followup on the making and selling harnesses, but for whatever reason has not done so. In fact I sent him the one I purchased so he'd have a model.

So if its a tech question, probably just start a thread in the FSJ tech fourm. When you do, please mention at least the year of your SJ, as the wiring went through a few changes, the biggest one probably in '86. In the meantime I'll look how Rick wired his harness, but from memory your theory its the relay seems reasobable.
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish
Old 11-30-2018, 05:59 PM
232 I6

Ah ok. I think your message was cut off but I see you edited it. Now I understand I think.

Agreeing with Nograin, might want to post in the tech section but since you're here.

You could try swapping the relays around to see if the problem is duplicated on the low beam. if so it's probably just the relay. Also look for corroded contact points like where you plugged it into the factory headlight plug. Check for voltage while you're there. Should see ~12v + or -to trigger the relay.

If it just the relay that failed you can take the relay to your local parts counter and have them match another one up. They are just the standard 5 pin Bosch style relays. Every parts store should carry them. They just pop in and out.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:31 PM
232 I6

I was unsure as to where to post my question I was hoping that someone took over Seirhills operation and would see my post. I’m going to switch out the relays in the morning.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 PM
304 AMC

Yea. The board seems bad about cutoff messages. Had that this morning even when using my older browser.

Pat. If its not the relay and you need help on figuring out where to check for voltage, I've now sketched out Serehills schematic based on the one I had.
I agree with Mass. The next most likely culprit is the high beam wire terminals at the original headlight connector or at the relay.
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish