• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black Dynamite
    232 I6
    • Feb 04, 2016

90 SoCal GW

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a couple of months now, but decided it was time to post. I bought a 90 Grand Wagoner for a member on the forums a few months back he had just installed a LKQ rebuilt 360 w/edelbrock intake.

He had moved out of state and decided he was done with this GW. While he had it he did a great job going through it. It still needs some work here and there but all in all I thought I was getting an immediate daily out of the deal. The newly installed motor carries a three year warranty (which was already down to two years with only a 100 miles on it)

Unfortunately though the second day after picking it up from the mechanic who did the install on the motor, It threw a rod. So now my new toy has been in the shop for the last 8 weeks getting another motor installed.

Since its back in the shop the Mech is going to put the stock intake back on as there is no need for a 4bbl intake since I can't run a 4bbl carb in California anyhow.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions, because I already have a lot.

*Hydro boost
    *Howell
    *Fuel tank
    *Safari Rack
    *Seat mounted rear shoulder strap options
    *Increased towing capacity
    *Overdrive options

Here is a pic of the one of two days it was actually in the driveway before it went back in to the shop.

Jeep first day by printstron, on Flickr
    Last edited by Black Dynamite; 04-24-2016, 02:22 AM.
  • Black Dynamite
    232 I6
    • Feb 04, 2016

More pics

Here are some pis that were snapped at the mechanics before it was purchased.I won't have any other pics until I get back home.

I work in the oil fields and the only ones drilling are here in the middle East. So if any of you are in Abu Dhabi or Dubai and want to get a drink just let me know.

As long as its home in the driveway waiting for me when I get home all will be good.

Old motor by printstron, on Flickr

Jeepdriver by printstron, on Flickr

Rear Katskinz by printstron, on Flickr
    Last edited by Black Dynamite; 04-24-2016, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• Black Dynamite
      232 I6
      • Feb 04, 2016

OLJEEP

I just downloaded the manual for the 89 Grand Wagoneer on oljeep.com.

How different is it from 89 to 90?

I am new to the FSJs and need all the info I can get. Plus I think I need a rossetta stone to decode the acronyms you guys trow around.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Black Dynamite
        I just downloaded the manual for the 89 Grand Wagoneer on oljeep.com.

How different is it from 89 to 90?

I am new to the FSJs and need all the info I can get. Plus I think I need a rossetta stone to decode the acronyms you guys trow around.
        They are extremely similar, very few changes and those are very minor.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Black Dynamite
          232 I6
          • Feb 04, 2016

Hydro Boost

So looking through the Hyrdo Boost threads I am confused .

I see there are some kits out there to "bolt on" Hydro. But if I were to piece my own together what vehicles should I be looking to source it from?

Should I be looking for one with a complete master attached? Of find one that will accept my master?

I can tell the hose routing and reworking is an inevitability, but if I can go to a Pick-a-Part and get a hydro for a few hundred less I would like to.

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

The unit on my '88 is I believe from a '95-ish Astro van.
            I believe the brake master cylinder is also Astro van unit?
            If you email Elliott he may be able to verify? I bought it from him years ago.

his email is in the first post.
            Tony

Comment

• Black Dynamite
              232 I6
              • Feb 04, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
              The unit on my '88 is I believe from a '95-ish Astro van.
              I believe the brake master cylinder is also Astro van unit?
              If you email Elliott he may be able to verify? I bought it from him years ago.

his email is in the first post.

Thanks I'll check with him. Wasn't sure the amount of info he was willing to give up since he sells the units himself.

I see in your sig that you went FI. I'm assuming it is the Howell unit since you are in CA like me. How do you like it? Is that really our only option? No FITech or Edelbrock?

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Elliott is a good guy, I'll bet he'll share info. Way back when he used to sell used ones.

Howell is the only "legal" no smog hassle option.
                Nothing else is smog legal in CA.

You can DIY GM TBI and visit a smog referee, but check with your local referee before doing anything and ask if he would pass/allow it.
                If you want more specific info just send me a PM.

TBI is a good upgrade, once tuned properly, drivability is much improved.
                Just turn the key and go, it adjusts itself for altitude/temp/humidity/fuel etc.

Nice increase in CITY mpg, and slight increase in HWY mpg.
                When I had the carb it was really a PITA to deal with the wife starting the Jeep. She had never owned a carbureted vehicle, and setting the choke/starting the Jeep was always a challenge for her.
                No matter how many times I explained it, and how easy it was for me.
                Tony

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

welcome

This is Elliot's add search his name in Ebay & yiu see he's pretty broad banded.

This is a reproduction GM Astro Van hydroboost mounting plate. Note that it has the correct indexing "tooth" that engages in the keyway on the side of the hydroboost which is required to keep the hydroboost from rotating on the mounting plate should the nut loosen.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Edlebrock performer intake
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Black Dynamite
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 04, 2016

Look who's home

She's back at the house! I'm not there to see her but at least she's not at the mechanic anymore.

One more week

The rack will be coming off.

Comment

• Wlkr350
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 18, 2016

Good looking jeep!

In reference to the Katzkin seat upholstery you have...do the tops of the front seats come with the holes already cut for the headrest mounts? I have an 82 and BJ's website doesn't sale the covers for that year model but they do for 83 and up. The only difference I can tell between the 82 and 83 seats is the addition of a headrest. I really like the covers you have and would buy a set if they don't have the holes precut for the headrest mounts. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
                      1984 CJ7 (restored)
                      1982 Wagoneer Brougham (current project)

Comment

• Black Dynamite
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 04, 2016

Originally posted by Wlkr350
                        In reference to the Katzkin seat upholstery you have...do the tops of the front seats come with the holes already cut for the headrest mounts? I have an 82 and BJ's website doesn't sale the covers for that year model but they do for 83 and up. The only difference I can tell between the 82 and 83 seats is the addition of a headrest. I really like the covers you have and would buy a set if they don't have the holes precut for the headrest mounts. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
                        I'm not sure. The PO did a really nice job redoing the interior so the Katzkin was installed when I purchased. Not to be boastfull especially since I didn't do it myself but the interior does look really nice. If I were to build an FSJ from the ground I would definitely look into these seat covers.

The only problem I can see is the zipper on the arm rest is broken. Not sure if it came that way or the PO had an issue when installing it. I will fix it for the short term but I would like some storage and a cup holder.

Comment

• Wlkr350
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 18, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply. Jeep looks great! Good luck with the rest of it and safe travels back to the states. Spent a little time in Dubai myself a few years back. Can't say I'd want to go back but happy I had the chance to experience it.
                          1984 CJ7 (restored)
                          1982 Wagoneer Brougham (current project)

Comment

• Black Dynamite
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 04, 2016

Cant wait

Yeah I can't wait to get back home. So much to do before I have to be back here.

Comment

• Dave740
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 02, 2014

Do you remember what color the center of those katskins were? I have the same color interior and want something that will match as best as possible.
                              1991 Grand Wagoneer
                              Hunter Green Metallic

Silverdale, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X