• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ESikes533
    232 I6
    • Jul 26, 2014

1981 J10 Honcho Stepside -new to site

I am new to the site here... I currently own a 1981 Jeep J10 Stepside that I am rebuilding, a 1988 Jeep XJ that i am selling, and i have previously owned a 2001 TJ. Apparently i keep going older and bigger! lol I am looking for parts/advise on the rebuild of the J10 Stepside.

Also, can someone tell me how to make a picture of my truck my profile picture instead of picking from the list the site provides?

Here is a list of some parts I'm looking for as well:
    -J10 Stepside Fuel tank
    -Mirriors ( all 3)
    -J10 stepside rear bumper
    -Interior door panels (tan)
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

"Any correlation between Jeep gauges and reality is purely coincidence" - Source Unknown-

____ [____l
    ____l - -o||||o-
    ()_)¯()_)¯¯ )_)

1981 J10 Honcho Sportside 360
  • TexasJ10
    360 AMC
    • Jan 03, 2002

Welcome to the site. I also live in Houston and have a 1981 step side. I hadn't seen any others around here and would love to see yours.
    * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
    * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
    . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
    * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• ESikes533
      232 I6
      • Jul 26, 2014

Originally posted by TexasJ10
      Welcome to the site. I also live in Houston and have a 1981 step side. I hadn't seen any others around here and would love to see yours.

I just bought it a few weeks ago and just getting started on the rebuild, but its a good honest starting point for sure. I dont know how to post pictures on here, but here are some links to it on my FB page.

Last edited by ESikes533; 07-27-2014, 08:08 AM.
      __________________________________________________ _________________________________

"Any correlation between Jeep gauges and reality is purely coincidence" - Source Unknown-

____ [____l
      ____l - -o||||o-
      ()_)¯()_)¯¯ )_)

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Cool. Don't break those rear fenders. If you can even find them, according to the sellers they're "precious"
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• RWrightPhotog
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 07, 2011

Welcome! I appreciate what you said about going older and bigger - I went down that same road myself! Ha! Actually I'm still going down it... Sometimes I think it would be nice to own a new car, but them I come back to reality
          Rob

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited 360
          1979 Jeep Cherokee 4-Door 258
          1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 360

Comment

• ESikes533
            232 I6
            • Jul 26, 2014

Originally posted by joe
            Cool. Don't break those rear fenders. If you can even find them, according to the sellers they're "precious"

One of them has a couple small damaged areas on it. Im planning repairing it as they arent that major, but i can imagine they are next to impossible to find. Finding anything for this machine is tough.

I guess that comes with the territory when you purchase a vehicle that had such a small number made. I searched for about 2 yrs to find one in decent shape. They all seemed to be either roached almost beyond repair or completely restored and demanding huge money! This one needed just the right amount of work and the money was right...

____ [____l
            ____l - -o||||o-
            ()_)¯()_)¯¯ )_)

Comment

• Headhoncho
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Oct 11, 2006

The rear bumper is almost the hardest part to find for that truck. The hardest would be the plastic end caps.

JR
              [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
              1966 mustang fastback
              '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• WHSII
                Hack-Priss
                • Feb 06, 2010

Originally posted by ESikes533
                One of them has a couple small damaged areas on it. Im planning repairing it as they arent that major, but i can imagine they are next to impossible to find. Finding anything for this machine is tough.

I guess that comes with the territory when you purchase a vehicle that had such a small number made. I searched for about 2 yrs to find one in decent shape. They all seemed to be either roached almost beyond repair or completely restored and demanding huge money! This one needed just the right amount of work and the money was right...
                Headhoncho and I also have the Sportside version of the J, Check out the link in my signature, you will see mine in pictures from start to finish.

Good luck, let us know if we can help.
                WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• mud89
                  304 AMC
                  • Nov 18, 2009

Welcome ! Got also a '81 sportside but dismantled right now..
                  J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

The rear fenders were so messed up on mine that I'm going with steel ones (older style)
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• ESikes533
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 26, 2014

Originally posted by Carnuck
                      The rear fenders were so messed up on mine that I'm going with steel ones (older style)

Mine are in pretty good shape. One crack that is about 3 inches long and a decent size section missing that the very back bottom behind the tire. I would assume a previous owner threw something up from the road or a rock and broke it off. Both of those are on the same side too. I think i can repair it. gonna try my best...

____ [____l
                      ____l - -o||||o-
                      ()_)¯()_)¯¯ )_)

Comment

• ESikes533
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 26, 2014

Originally posted by WHSII
                        Headhoncho and I also have the Sportside version of the J, Check out the link in my signature, you will see mine in pictures from start to finish.

Good luck, let us know if we can help.

I checked out the pictures and WOW. Good job. I dont think i will be breaking it down to that point, but mine is a pretty honest and almost completely rust free truck as it is. Just putting it back together and changing out some oddball parts with as many originals as i can find. Eventually a new coat of paint on the whole rig to top it off.

____ [____l
                        ____l - -o||||o-
                        ()_)¯()_)¯¯ )_)

Comment

• ESikes533
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 26, 2014

1981 J10 Honcho Sportside. 360, Dana 44 & Dana 60. I just got it and its a work in progress.

____ [____l
                          ____l - -o||||o-
                          ()_)¯()_)¯¯ )_)

Comment

• men in black
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jul 08, 2006

Welcome aboard from Michigan

Nice J truck
                            1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
                            Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
                            Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
                            Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• 66Stepside
                              350 Buick
                              • Dec 23, 2010

That truck is a great start, we'll done!

Those seats look comfy; welcome aboard,
                              52 M38
                              54 Willys Truck
                              56 Willys Wagon
                              60 FC170
                              66 J3000
                              68 M715
                              70 1414C
                              71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

Working...
                              X