• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harrinad
    232 I6
    • Jan 22, 2019

Help with door wiring

I am working on an 86 Grand Wagoneer and am having trouble getting the door controls to work. I tried looking into the wiring diagrams on ol jeep but had trouble reading it. Can somebody help me with which wires are supposed to be 12V in the door so I can troubleshoot?
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

For some reason I think you're asking about the locks so I'll try to splain them.

With the switches in their center position both motor leads are grounded through the front left switch. When you lock or unlock with either switch that switch applies voltage to one pole of the motor while the other remains grounded and the motor runs. Only one pole of the switch moves when it is actuated. They don't move together

If both door switches are actuated in opposite directions the motor gets 12v on both terminals and nothing happens.

Stare at the diagram a while and it makes sense. Maybe print a few out and use a highlighter.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Harrinad
      232 I6
      • Jan 22, 2019

I think I am still a couple steps behind this. My electrical is all screwed up and I do not have 12v to any wires. In order to trace it back I was hoping somebody would know which wires are hot with the car in the on position but no switches activated.

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

Looks like Red/Wht to both front doors for the locks. Fed by a breaker on the fuse box. Says they's always hot.

Windows are fed by another breaker but are switched power.

You initially said you were working on door controls, not window controls. Now no power to any wires???

You need to be more specific about which system you're working on and where.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Working...
        X