• Show
Clear All
  • YellowJeep
    350 Buick
    • Jan 20, 2007

More on Tellico

Sorry, this one is a few days old...

FOREST SERVICE ANNOUNCES PROPOSED CHANGES FOR UPPER TELLICO OHV TRAILS
    Steve Lohr, Tusquitee District Ranger, on the Nantahala National Forest, today announced proposed changes in the 39.5 mile Upper Tellico OHV Trail System. The proposal calls for maintaining approximately 24 miles of trails, upgrading five miles of Davis Creek Road for street-legal vehicle use, and closing and restoring 11 miles of other trails.
    Under the proposal, the agency would construct about one mile of new OHV trail to preserve loop routes on existing OHV trails and correct water quality problems. In addition, seasonal closure of the entire system from January 1 to March 31 would be continued to prevent rutting and excessive sedimentation during winter wet and freeze-thaw periods. Temporary closures would be implemented after high rainfall events to prevent excessive erosion.
    "No decisions have been made at this point and the proposed action is just a starting point for additional dialogue among all interested parties and a beginning of the formal environmental analysis process," stated Lohr.
    For the next 30 days, the Forest Service will be inviting public comment on this proposal, which may be found at http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm. Comments may be sent to the Tusquitee District Ranger, 123 Woodland Drive, Murphy, NC 28906. Comments may also be sent via email to [email protected].
    THE COMMENT DEADLINE IS JULY 9, 2008
    Interested parties are also encouraged to attend a public open house with informational displays where participants will be able to ask questions, learn more about the proposal and submit written comments and suggestions.
    The Upper Tellico Off-Highway Vehicle Trail System Open House on new Trail Management Proposal is scheduled for Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:00 PM until 4:00 PM. It will be held at the First Baptist Church, 517 Hiwassee Street, Murphy, NC. The church is located at the intersection of US 74-19 and Hiwassee Street in Murphy (across the street from McDonald's); entrance for the open house will be marked. Individuals may come anytime during the open house hours.
    For additional information about the open house, contact Candace Wyman at 828-837-5152 extension 113, or go to http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm
    Thanks in advance for your support,
    Brian Hawthorne
    Public Lands Policy Director
    BlueRibbon Coalition
    208-237-1008 ext 102
    Chad-
    88 Wrangler - TBI350 SM465 Ford 8.8
    79 Cherokee Golden Eagle - AKA "The Screamin Eagle" 5.3 Runs and Drives. TH400 and Q-Trac!
    77 Pontiac CanAm - 6.0LSx/4l80e swap
    2010 - Ford Flex Limited AKA the wifes wagon
    Carbs suck!
  • yellowxj
    232 I6
    • Feb 08, 2007

If anyone is vaguely local they should feel free to camp/stay at my shop near Murphy and GO TO the meeting on the 28th. We have room for camping and a bunk room with 4-6 bunks + room for cots. We need to communicate with the forestry service, atleast write emails and letters. The forestry service claims we are not communicating with them and our opponents are.

My address is 4820 Murphy Highway, Mineral Bluff, Ga
    706-374-3547
    Not broke now but I'm badly bent.

Comment

I'm still formulating my letter. I want mine to be full of ideas or at least good talking points. I keep meaning to put this in here but I just don't have much time lately. I'm glad you did though.

Please everyone, send letters!!
      Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
      I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
      Originally posted by johnny019
      I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• Casey
        • Oct 08, 2003

Tellico is closed.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...7xlWmTYvPJw%3D

Sounds permanent.
        Last edited by Casey; 02-28-2009, 02:44 PM.
        1994 YJ
        1986 Comanche
        '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
        www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
        "Go forth and be a tool".
        Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
        This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• sungoesdown
          350 Buick
          • Jan 16, 2008

We need letters sent please!!!! Just take 2 minutes to do this, please.

83 j-10
          86 grand wagoneer

Originally posted by HeadHoncho
          BTW, how does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey?????!!!!!!!
          Originally posted by holley2346
          I hated to hear this as I was really wanting to do an ox in the rear.

Comment

• cajun_lad
            350 Buick
            • Feb 17, 2006

Since I have nothing better to do at work but play on the net, I've decided to dedicate my free time to writing letters. Here's #1:

The decision to close the Upper Tellico OHV is a big negative impact to the local economy. OHV users spend far more money in the local economy than the trout fisherman do. Everyone has a right to PUBLIC land, that includes OHV users. The recommendation of closure insinuates the US Foresty Service's lack of willingness to manage the area. At what point does the decision making process infringe upon the rights of one group while maintaining the rights of others? Closing the area to OHV users infringes upon our rights to use the public land. Would the USFS even ever consider closing the park to fisherman? Never. And why not? More damage is done by drunken fisherman polluting the streams and waterways and driving in prohibited places just to get closer to their favorite hole, than any respectful OHV user. And lets not even start to discuss the man hours OHV users put in to keep the trails clean, usable, and open. How many fisherman are policing the waterways for trash? Zero. Do you think we will continue our efforts once Tellico is closed? Absolutely not. We'll go where we are welcomed. We just wish we were welcomed at Tellico.
            Joey
            Jeep-Less

Comment

Working...
            X