• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wagoneer88
    258 I6
    • Jan 13, 2004

Good subs?

I'm looking to install two subs in my 87 wag but i don't know what brand, size, or power. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to get or what not to get?
    Davis Merritt<br />1988 Silver GW<br />91k Miles<br />Stock-for now
  • FSJnovice
    350 Buick
    • Dec 17, 2003

Depends on what amount you want to spend, you want to shake apart fsj go with 15's nice even sounds 10's are good so are 12's. The sony speakers are not that bad neither are kenwood, pioneer. Just remember $$ is the key, buy an amp that will handle the speakers. In stores the sound rooms are built to sound good and make a sale. Go to sterio places and see what is being installed and listen to installed components in a vehicle that has same dimensions as the vehicle you are wanting to install items in. Anyone else have ideas, and what are you running.
    Mike
    88 GW stock
    360/727/229
    project

Comment

• BigBrownTriz
      232 I6
      • Feb 08, 2003

JL, Eclipse, and many others make good subs, just remeber that the box can make as big a difference as anything else. I like 10s personally.
      79 J20 360 QT TH400<br />TFI in near future

Comment

• wagoneer88
        258 I6
        • Jan 13, 2004

I'm looking to spend around 150 for the pair and i will build a box that fits the slant off the back seat. As far as the size of the speakers or the power of the amp goes i am still undicided and hoping for good suggestions.
        Davis Merritt<br />1988 Silver GW<br />91k Miles<br />Stock-for now

Comment

• woodybeone
          304 AMC
          • Sep 02, 2001

I have two "W" bins you could use. You could really get yourself in good standing and rattle the neighboring house windows when you drive by. Of course the back seat would have to come out. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "

Comment

• az mike
            258 I6
            • Oct 01, 2002

thers way to many chioces out ther to really give one brand but i have had good luck with pioneer fosgate jlaudio and audiobahn
            for what u have to spend if u want loud
            go with fosgate if u want good sound
            go with pioneer or even adiobahn
            sony dont sound bad as long as u dont push them to hard if u listen to rock stick with 10s or 12s if u listen to rap or country go with 12s or 15s and unless u know alot about subs dont build your own box just buy a cheap box that is built with 3/4 inch wood preferably with m/d/f

Comment

• Freddy
              258 I6
              • Nov 23, 2003

I prefer Infinity 10"s myself. Just remember with Infinity's, you need a pretty strong amp to push them correctly. JL's and Solo Barics are nice too but pricey.

Spend your money on the high and mid speakers. Again I prefer Infinity Kappas because of the clean sound.
              Freddy Tran
              89 GW
              previous 83 Wag Ltd

Comment

• BigBrownTriz
                232 I6
                • Feb 08, 2003

Don't get 15's whatever you do, and a prefab box will only sound good if it happens to be the right airspace for the speakers. I have been installing stereos for 8 years and do it for a living (sad huh). 15's need a ton of power to really sound good. I would do 10's or 12's. If you want the box snug to the backseat be sure to fire the subs towards the rear of the vehicle or downfire them with the slot to the back. Downfiring gets rid of cone noise which can be loud w/o a lot of power. Another option is a ported box which recquires less power, but is more difficult to calculate and build and is larger than sealed. The best sounding system I have done in a waggy was 2 JL 10w-3V2 in a sealed downfiring enclosure with 500 true RMS watts of power with focal 2-way mids and a 4 cha amp. It didn't drop like 15's but the tight bass was what my customer wanted and it was loud enough to make your gnads tingle.
                Don't get pioneer, kenwood, sony, or any other brand that isn't known for their subs. They simply don't last. I have swapped all of them enough times to hate them. If it only lasts for a month, who cares how loud it is.
                79 J20 360 QT TH400<br />TFI in near future

Comment

• 89grand
                  Resident ***hole
                  • Feb 23, 2003

Sounds similar to my system. I've got a Alpine CD player, Audio Contol Epicenter, Audio Control 4.1 pre-amp, Audio Control 24XS crossover, Focal 130k's in the front doors, 2 JL Audio 10W3-D4's in a sealed box of .75 ft3 each, A Precision Power A200 running the Focals and a Precision Power A600.2 bridged mono to the subs. I've got another A200, I'm going to bridge the two of them with one powering the left Focal's and the other powering the right side. I'll have 1000 watts total. I agree that Sony, Kenwood and other mas produced brands usually suck. Look at JL Audio, MTX, Image Dynamics etc. You might have to spend closer to $200 but it'll be worth it. JL Audio 10 WO's are like 100 each and they're a great sub.
                  Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
                  31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
                  2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
                  2000 Jeep Wrangler
                  1988 Cadillac Brougham
                  1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
                  1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• mojolounge
                    232 I6
                    • Mar 16, 2002

If you have a good budget go with a solobaric sub they use very little air space. I use Rockford Fosgate, they do not need alot of air space and you can use a sealed enclosure which means there is not alot of math to do to figure out how deep your port needs to be. I use 2 10" Dual voice coil Rockford subs in my chero and that is more than enough. Remember no matter what sub you choose if the box is not built for the sub, no matter which one you use it is not going to perform well. Also 10 or 12 guage cable to run from the amp to the sub.
                    83 Cherokee \"Shultz\" <br />Ditching the Cummins idea, and just getting it running now

Comment

Working...
                    X