• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Waggy
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 13, 2001

Rusted/Stuck Tailgate Latches

Anyone have experience freeing stuck latches? Mine are stuck on both sides, presumably rust (here in New England). They were stuck when I bought the Wagoneer. Have used penetrating oil (Kroil; highly recommended, this is the first time it has let me down). Also, various combinations of hammers, pry bars, etc. as can be used given the small space. I am ready to apply heat but am concerned about ruining the latch springs. Is there an EASY way I've overlooked?? No telling how long the gate has been stuck shut but this has been unbelievably stubborn. Anyone been there done that? Thanks in advance.
  • smithhl
    258 I6
    • Jan 10, 2001

My tailgate was stuck also. It didn't help that I hit a tree at about 55 mph in reverse (I lost power & brakes going up a mountain, the tree didn't survive) Hammers didn't work and I skipped pry bars, penetrating oil, and didn't think about heating it. As a downhill mountain bike racer I have some pretty strong legs, (enough to push the wagoneer one space over in the my driveway that looks like the rubicon.) I got behind the rear bench and kicked the tailgate as hard as I could with both legs spread about a foot apart, by the third time it popped open. And no it didn't brake the glass. If your legs do not offer enough grunt, get a friend (one with strong legs). I'm sure they wuoldn't mind kicken the hell out of it!

------------------
    81 Wagoneer Brougham
    327 Vigilante T-18 NP-208

74 Volkswagen Sunbug
    Superbeetle
    81 Wagoneer Brougham 74 Volkswagen Sunbug<br />327 Vigilante T-18 NP-208 Superbeetle<br />95 Olds Achieva 87 Fullsize<br />4cyl 5-speed Jimmy

Comment

• WINGO
      327 Rambler
      • May 06, 2000

Before you try any more prying, kicking etc., confirm that in fact your release handle is in fact disengaging the latches.

Have you tried using a cable winch (come-a-long)?

Attach one end to a secure no moveable object and attach the other end to the top of the tail gate.

Good luck!

------------------
      WINGO
      Vineland, NJ
      USA

1984 GW 360
      Rough Country/Heckethorn 2 1/4" AAL (actual lift)
      Rough Country/Heckethorn Nitro 9000 Shocks
      Performance Accesories 3 " Body Lift
      31" X 10.5" Kelly MT

Soon to Have:
      1- Rhino Grill
      2- Alis-Chalmers Orange & Black Durabark exterior paint.
      <b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg

Comment

• smithhl
        258 I6
        • Jan 10, 2001

Yeah my latch was stuck open, so that wasn't a problem.

------------------
        81 Wagoneer Brougham

74 Volkswagen Sunbug
        Superbeetle
        81 Wagoneer Brougham 74 Volkswagen Sunbug<br />327 Vigilante T-18 NP-208 Superbeetle<br />95 Olds Achieva 87 Fullsize<br />4cyl 5-speed Jimmy

Comment

• smithhl
          258 I6
          • Jan 10, 2001

Well my release handle was stuck open, not the latches, they were stuck closed

------------------
          81 Wagoneer Brougham

74 Volkswagen Sunbug
          Superbeetle

Comment

• Strangedawg
            230 Tornado
            • Apr 12, 2001

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Waggy:
            [B]Anyone have experience freeing stuck latches? Mine are stuck on both sides, presumably rust (here in New England). They were stuck when I bought the Wagoneer. Have used penetrating oil (Kroil; highly recommended, this is the first time it has let me down). Also, various combinations of hammers, pry bars, etc. as can be used given the small space. I am ready to apply heat but am concerned about ruining the latch springs. Is there an EASY way I've overlooked?? No telling how long the gate has been stuck shut but this has been unbelievably stubborn. Anyone been there done that? Thanks

try checking the control arms on the latch,,,, mine were rusted through and i replaced them and not a problem now...the control arms are two pieces of flat metal that extend from the center latch to each side of the door...hope this helps.......

89 Grand Wag \"DAWG WGN\"<br />T.F.I.<br />K&N<br />Flowmaster exhaust<br />YOU CAN\'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, SO SPEND IT ON THE JEEP

Comment

• andy d
              Shade Tree Shaman
              • May 06, 2000

strangedawg has nailed the trouble. sounds like the latch arm pivots are frozen. some times body flex is the culprit. park wag on a level spot. hold the release leverup and have an assistant in the wayback kick against the t/g. if this fails a long scewdriver can be used to trip the latches inside the t/g. once the gate is open, you' ve got several hours of restoration ahead of you. its a common problem esp for us rust belters. post questions and search the archives.

------------------
              '88 gwag,pure stock
              \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• JeepFreak
                304 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2000

Man you guys are going through all this trouble trying to open your gates and I just got finished bolting mine closed. My hinges have rusted away so this kept my gate from clunking after every bump and has since gotten rid of a few headaches.

------------------
                JeepFreak

Comment

• andy d
                  Shade Tree Shaman
                  • May 06, 2000

Jeepfreak,many's the times ve been tempted to to do just that. but it would greatly reduce the wags utility. i find that once i had repaired the t/gs many problems, regular usage has kept it working well.

------------------
                  '88 gwag,pure stock
                  \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

Working...
                  X