International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Old 03-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Noob!

2003 Avalance a good donor vehicle?

Hi all,

I saw a 2003 Avalanche (5.3) with 133k miles on it. It has front end damage, but not too bad. Would this make a good donor vehicle for swapping in a 5.3 into a grand wagoner? The grand wagoner will not be used for rock climbing or the like. Mainly paved roads and some minor non-technical off roading on established non-difficult BLM roads.

Aside from the motor, how would the transmission and transfer case be for this application? What would be the biggest issues with this setup?

Lastly, how much would you expect to pay for the motor, transmission, and transfercase? What if I just bought the whole vehicle? It is not roadable.

Many thanks!!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:01 AM
350 Buick

what year wagoneer? it will work if you have a newer model with a drivers drop front axle. buy the whole vehicle, then you have all the parts needed for the conversion( less mounts). is it worth doing the conversion? what are trying to gain? you could put in a fuel injection system on the amc motor and be way ahead on money and time than a conversion.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley-moeracing
what year wagoneer? it will work if you have a newer model with a drivers drop front axle. buy the whole vehicle, then you have all the parts needed for the conversion( less mounts). is it worth doing the conversion? what are trying to gain? you could put in a fuel injection system on the amc motor and be way ahead on money and time than a conversion.

Hi wiley-moeracing,

Thanks for the reply. The wagoneer is a 1985. The motor I have now is in bad shape and the transmission/transfer case are not far behind. I figured in the end, this would be the most economical. Also, this will be a vehicle for my wife and will be her daily driver in the end, so it will not be a frame off, but it will be a nice build.

So, I think I'm hearing from you that this would be a good donor vehicle. Does anyone know what transmission and transfer case this vehicle has? Will the push button 4x4 cause any issues?

Lastly how much should I expect to pay for the whole avalanche in this condition?

Thanks a million. I really appreciate the info!!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:17 PM
350 Buick

there are a couple of transfercase options for it, you will need all the electronic parts, switches, wiring etc. It will make for a better swap experience to have the whole vehicle, price for the whole vehicle, 1000-1500 is a good place to start. no telling what condition the drivetrain is in. keep in mind that your old drivetrain is worn out but it will still be cheaper to rebuild and add fuel injection than the time and money in installing the modern drivetrain. just some thoughts...
Old 03-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley-moeracing
there are a couple of transfercase options for it, you will need all the electronic parts, switches, wiring etc. It will make for a better swap experience to have the whole vehicle, price for the whole vehicle, 1000-1500 is a good place to start. no telling what condition the drivetrain is in. keep in mind that your old drivetrain is worn out but it will still be cheaper to rebuild and add fuel injection than the time and money in installing the modern drivetrain. just some thoughts...

Hi wiley-moeracing,

You seem to be pushing the idea of just rebuilding and adding fuel injection. I may not have put enough thought into this. How would you go about adding fuel injection to the AMC360? its good to consider all options. Thank you for raising this again.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:42 AM
350 Buick

there are several companies out there that have self learning kits available from 1200-3500. i am looking at the fitech now, seems to be good price , just waiting to have someone use it and report back. you can also just keep the setup you have and rebuild it, a good carb rebuild and tune will work fine. there is nothing wrong with the amc motors, a good quality rebuild with good parts will last a long time and serve you well. same goes for the transmission and transfercase. sometimes better to deal with the devil you know than the one you don't.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 PM
327 Rambler

If

I'd agree that some type of FI may be the way to go. Preferably with timing control. Some People say carbs are just as good. I disagree. No carb can compete with a well setup FI systems ability to adj to varying conditions.