• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wacker
    230 Tornado
    • May 25, 2020

79' Waggy "John Candy"

Alright, after a few lessons learned on posting, starting a build thread for my new-to-me 1979 Jeep Wagoneer.

Recently drug home a Wagoneer Limited. Running and driving shape, poor cosmetics in and out.

-Mechanical

360 with Edelbrock 4 barrel, turbo 400 and Quadratrac. Working on deleting what emission and vacuum items I can to simplify before tuning the carb. Researching the ignition upgrades, currently has a Malory ignition coil.

Brakes; I'll go through and replace any worn parts. They work but are a little soft currently. Parking brake cable needs replaced.

Steering; just took apart and tightened the tilt column. Next will be replace the rag joint and inspect the TRE's.

Body; Ive got maybe 2 sq ft of floor boards to replace. Most of the damage on the driver's side. Rear quarters and inner fenders are rotten so I will be cropping and replacing as much as possible. I'm motivated to attempt making my own panels. If that turns out poorly I'll order patch panels.

Interior; Gutted it the first week home. So much moisture in the carpet, and the seats are beat. Looking at local Pick-N-Pull for fronts to swap in and will try to get rear bench recovered.

Pics to follow.

-wacker
  • levelhead
    232 I6
    • Nov 04, 2016

You'll want to stop the water coming in....vents, door seals etc. All covered in this forum.
    I gotta ask coming from Canada...Why the "John Candy" ?
    1988 GW (2)
    1980 Cherokee Laredo
    1979 Wagoneer
    1976 J10 401
    1977 Wagoneer 401
    1977 J10 4 speed
    1969 J3000 (2)
    1955 CJ3B
    1964 Wagoneer

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

I was hoping the John candy reference
      meant it was a Burgundy one
      like John drove in the great outdoors.

good FSJ project,.....John was great !

dave in NC
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• wacker
        230 Tornado
        • May 25, 2020

Comment

• bluehwy
          258 I6
          • Apr 28, 2014

Fun stuff! Being in CA I may have parts for you. I'm modifying my 79 and won't be using a lot of the original parts. Good luck with your project!

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Where you at in CA wacker? I might have some parts for you, too! I love giving parts away that I know someone is going to use (or not) so I do not have to store them anymore! hahaha!
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
            X