Cherokee 6.0 Vortec project Germany - many pics!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andro
    232 I6
    • Sep 30, 2008

Cherokee 6.0 Vortec project Germany - many pics!!

Today I?d like to introduce myself and my running project. My name is Andy, I live in Wiesbaden, Germany and used to have a GW a couple of years ago. At this time I was active in this forum but then I had to sell her and was gone until 6 months ago, ready to finally get the car I really like to drive ? a Cherokee. I always liked the 2 door widetrack more than the 4 door waggie.[/font][/size]
    Like everyone else I spent hours in reading here and now I want to share my story with you.
    Please don?t blame me for doing this project not myself.

So back in June my friend Tony bought this 83 WT Cherokee Laredo I found here in the forum from a guy in Atlanta area who is a member in this forum. (I am terribly sorry but I forgot his name) So Tony brought her to his house in Charleston on June 24th and was very excited because body and frame are almost perfect, rustfree with just some minor spots.

In Tony's driveway beside his Discovery

First thing Tony did was to add new spings (BJ?s 2 inch lifted) and shocks I got from BJ?s and tires he bought locally.

Next step would have been to rebuild the 360 and then ship it to Germany. This was my planned budget. As everyone knows a planned budget is completely different to the final spend budget, but I didn?t realize it at this point. I now started to investigate the 360 rebuild.
    Well, as weeks passed by and everyone told me once you do this rebuild and the engine is out, get it done right and complete and restore it frame of - the truck is worth it, I started to like this idea. Inspired by television currently showing Overhaulin, American Hot Rod and some others (I know it was shown a couple of years ago in the US, but in Germany it?s brand new and shown the first time) I got really hard infected with this idea but ignoring what I would have to spend.
    At the same time I finally changed my mind to follow the new idea to swap to a modern fuel injected and more economic engine. We also had to find someone in Tony?s area to do this job. So luckily one of his neighbors is a Jeep maniac and he led us to B&R Off Road in Charleston. He said Randy is the guy to go to.
    It finally took until October to get to this point and then we started to figure out what needs to be done. I finally fell in love with Randy?s idea to swap to a 6.0 L Vortec drivetrain out of a 2006 Sierra.
    This decision made, next step is frame and body. Preparing for the new paint job.

Taking the body from the frame

Next steps:
    The body will be lineXed on the floor inside and outside.
    The frame will be stripped and lineXed black.
    The new paint job ? colors will be Range Rover colors: Arctic white and Bourneville metallic
    Drivetrain swap
    Interior gets a new complete carpet set, new leather upholstery for all seats and armrest
    Rhino grille conversion

These steps will be done in the next 3-4 weeks and I really hope it won't be later than that. Shipping it in a container to Germany will take another 3 weeks or so.
    Once in Germany all the worldwide known german bureaucracy will hit me. To get it legally onto the street it has to pass the "TÜV" which is on one hand very expensive and on the other very, very frustrating because they complain about almost everything. For those guys don't know what I'm talking about: Most of your modified rigs wouldn't meet the regulations and would not be allowed to be legally driven on the roads.
    So with my tiny 31's and slight lift I hope I won't have any issues.

Once I'm allowed to drive it the final step will be a LPG conversion, so I can run with gas and propane. With my mileage it will take about 2 years to pay off.

I will continue with new fotos and reports on this project shortly
    Last edited by Andro; 02-19-2009, 08:58 AM.
    Andy in Germany
    83 Cherokee Laredo for over 9 years for uncompleted restoration and GEN III swap in Charleston, SC
    Then for about 1.5 years in Pennsylvania to complete restoration and finally landed in Germany end of August 2017
    Link to project
  • jaber
    Dragin Az
    • Oct 17, 2003

Welcome back.

You've got a very nice ride there, thank you for the pics and details. I'll be watching for the updates.
    Jeff

'43 cj2a
    '51 Willys p/u
    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
    '68 Panel Delivery
    '74 CJ5
    '75 J-20 Wrecker
    '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
    '77 J-10 p/u
    '79 Cherokee
    '88 Grand Wagoneer
    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Clean RC
      232 I6
      • Jun 13, 2004

That is going to be one sweet FSJ.. Nice

Comment

• cajunKen
        350 Buick
        • Feb 19, 2007

Originally posted by Clean RC
        That is going to be one sweet FSJ.. Nice
        X2

Good luck with your swap & keep us posted. I would love to do a Vortech swap.
        Ken

'87 GW-360, 727/229, TFI, Holley Street Dominator manifold & Edelbrock 1406. Stock lift & tires.

Beef-It's what's for dinner....cause there ain't no d@mn shrimp in Colorado!

Comment

• The PIG Smith
          King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Agreed! One very sweet Rig!

Welcome back to the Madness of FSJ Ownership.
          As you already know, there is not no known cure and the only way to ease the pain is to buy another rig to work on! HAHAHA

I am guessing that by living in Wiesbaden, Germany you are in the USAF?
          While serving in the US Army, I spent four wonderful year in Crailsheim, Germany, way down south, between Nuremberg and Stuttgart.
          I traveled a lot and was in Wiesbaden many times.

I love the direction that you are going with your Cherokee
          I am envious of the fact you have little or no rust.

While JeepinPete is one of the premiere members that has performed this swap, there have been a few others, all with excellent results.
          I believe Pete has some motor mounts that help you with your swap.
          ChileWaggy has completed this swap and has a video of his 6.0L Vortec powered rig.
          Last edited by The PIG Smith; 06-12-2010, 04:24 PM.
          Bryan Smith
          2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
          - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
          1986 Jeep J20
          - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
          1982 Jeep J10
          - Has become a Long Term Project.
          1981 Jeep J20
          - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
          1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
          - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
          ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
          Originally posted by Lindel
          Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• Lindel
            Perfesser of Jeepology
            • Jun 15, 2000

Welcome back! Nice rig and please keep us up to date!
            Jeep Grounds
            RRV Homepage
            Texas Full Size Jeep Association
            1987 Grand Wagoneer
            AMC 360/TF727/NP229
            1999 Wrangler Sport
            4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• ChileWaggy
              232 I6
              • Dec 14, 2007

Excellent project....you will love it
              Are you thinking on using the complete Sierra drivetrain (cases)??
              1989 Grand Wagoneer
              Vortec 6.0L, Nelson Performance Tune, Air Aid Kit.
              4L60E/NP 241.
              BJ's 4" lift.
              31x10,50 BF Goodrich.
              Drivetrain Swap Here:
              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=84851

Comment

• Andro
                232 I6
                • Sep 30, 2008

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Brian, I hope I won't dissapoint you but I am not serving the forces at all, I am german, was born here and still live here. But if you're familiar with Wiesbaden, I live very close to the Wiesbaden US Army Airfield in Erbenheim. It's about 100 feet from my house.
                About the motor mounts - I already have a set from BJ's - thanks anyway for the tip.

ChileWaggy, yes I'll get it with the Sierra transfercase. It's a manual, not the electronic push a button one.
                I followed your thread about your swap and it's a really great one. I had a smile on my face while watching your video.

By the way, the original drivetrain is for sale, if someone is interested. Also the original grill and headlights.
                Andy in Germany
                83 Cherokee Laredo for over 9 years for uncompleted restoration and GEN III swap in Charleston, SC
                Then for about 1.5 years in Pennsylvania to complete restoration and finally landed in Germany end of August 2017
                Link to project

Comment

• COLOFIREMAN
                  Gone,But not Forgotten.
                  • Apr 09, 2005

Originally posted by Andro

Please don?t blame me for doing this project not myself.
                  Why in the word would we blame you. I commend you for taking such a large project on!!!

Good luck.
                  Jason in the Mountains
                  1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
                  1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
                  1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
                  1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
                  1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
                  1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

• Randyzzz
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 03, 2008

Looks like a great project! I am currently in process of swapping a 350 TBI into my Waggy. And a 5.3 Vortec into my Scrambler.

Do they have emissions testing in Germany, or is it just safety items?

I'm half German, my Mom and Grandmother moved here from Oldenburg in the mid 30's. I have always wanted to go to Germany- some day.
                    Randy S.
                    It's not what you Buy, it's what you Build.
                    1987 J20 SOLD
                    1966 Waggy SOLD
                    1970 Waggy SOLD
                    1982 Scrambler SOLD
                    1981 Scrambler - Current Project/Keeper

Comment

• Andro
                      232 I6
                      • Sep 30, 2008

Oh yes Randy, we do have extensive emission testing and we pay car tax by emission output and engine size every year. Here's an example:
                      A 6.0 L carburetted motor is $1,230.00 per year minimum - the fuel injected Vortec is about half of that. Obviousely, this isn't fun!!

So once you make it over here, you're always welcome. Frankfurt International Airport is about a 10 minute drive from my house.
                      Andy in Germany
                      Link to project

Comment

• Randyzzz
                        258 I6
                        • Mar 03, 2008

Oh yes Randy, we do have extensive emission testing and we pay car tax by emission output and engine size every year. Here's an example:
                        A 6.0 L carburetted motor is $1,230.00 per year minimum - the fuel injected Vortec is about half of that. Obviousely, this isn't fun!!

So once you make it over here, you're always welcome. Frankfurt International Airport is about a 10 minute drive from my house.
                        OUCH! I guess that's one way to get people to drive economical vehicles. And I thought high gas prices were bad enough. What is gas going for over there?

Thanks for the offer- It probably will be awhile, I'm currently "between jobs" (Laid Off), so our savings are going away fast. Luckily I had bought all the Jeep parts while I was still working! Any Jobs over there? I'd have to study up on my German...it's been years- actually since my Grandma passed on. And I probably couldn't afford to register my Jeeps!
                        Randy S.
                        It's not what you Buy, it's what you Build.
                        1987 J20 SOLD
                        1966 Waggy SOLD
                        1970 Waggy SOLD
                        1982 Scrambler SOLD
                        1981 Scrambler - Current Project/Keeper

Comment

• Andro
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 30, 2008

Originally posted by Randyzzz
                          OUCH! I guess that's one way to get people to drive economical vehicles. And I thought high gas prices were bad enough. What is gas going for over there?
                          Right now it's very very cheap, about $4.11 a gallon, the highest price this year was $5.76
                          This the reason I want to run LPG as well, it's about half the price of gas.
                          Last edited by Andro; 12-15-2008, 11:02 AM.
                          Andy in Germany
                          Link to project

Comment

• tkiller13
                            304 AMC
                            • Jun 17, 2005

Please don?t blame me for doing this project not myself

No blame here. It takes some guts to have a fsj restored while living in another country.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                              King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Brian, I hope I won't dissapoint you but I am not serving the forces at all, I am german, was born here and still live here. But if you're familiar with Wiesbaden, I live very close to the Wiesbaden US Army Airfield in Erbenheim. It's about 100 feet from my house.
                              No Disappointment at all.
                              Was a poor assumption on my part.
                              I loved that part your country.
                              I took a Rhine River tours as many times as I could.
                              I hope someday to return and bring my family with me.

While I served, I was privileged to drive a Dodge pickup on the autobahn.
                              That smallish 318 moved that 1 ton pickup right along.
                              Also, I was able to operate a lead sled, a early 70ish Ford LTD.
                              It was a blast.
                              I always wanted to cruise the autobahn in a super kewl BMW.

As my J20 sorta tops out a 85mph/136kph and that was about as far a I would push it.
                              I could hear the chain in the transfercase protesting.
                              My J20 is a tow rig brute, not a speed demon.

I dunno how fast the Wagoneer I sold would go...90+mph/140+kph...it was quick!
                              JeepBountyHunter owns it now and even he thought it was quicker than the average FSJ.
                              I've not driven my J10 far enough to find out.

I would really like to see how fast a FSJ would legally be.

I'll bet with a 6.0L Vortec, your Cherokee will be wicked quick!
                              Are you planning to ship your rig across the big pond?
                              Bryan Smith
                              2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                              - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                              1986 Jeep J20
                              - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                              1982 Jeep J10
                              - Has become a Long Term Project.
                              1981 Jeep J20
                              - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                              1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                              - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                              ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                              Originally posted by Lindel
                              Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

Working...
                              X