• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beloth
    350 Buick
    • Jun 06, 2003

Need someone to set timing in Tucson, AZ

My mechanic friend got the points put back in on the jeep dizzy...he says he cannot see the timing marks clearly(guy is in his upper 40's and needs glasses--he denies it)...he got the dwell set with his dwell meter but I need someone who has a timing gun to verify the timing...the sticker on the fender says 5 degrees BTDC...he thinks he has it between 5 and 8 but is not sure....

anyway the jeep starts and runs but needs the timing checked and verified....my pertronix unit took out my ignition coil too...so for now i got a mopar coil borrowed from the friend on the jeep...will get that replaced next month.....

anyway if anyone is free saturday and would not mind verifying the timing on the jeep i would appreciate it...and of course i can come to your area so you would not be put out driving around Tucson....
    1966 wag "JENNY" w/1973 drivetrain
    330K miles w/360 V8 2bbl (HEI installed ), flowmaster muffler
    TH400 /Dana 20 transfer case D30 /D44 w/ 3.73's LT235/75/R15 AT tires. lift shackles in frt. 2 in lft; w/ TAD's Dozer bumpers! Cost $700 -now total cost=?
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

Buy a vacuum gauge. Hook it up to MANIFOLD vacuum. Set the timing to the best (highest) vacuum at idle.

Get in the car and drive it. Put it in 2nd gear at about 45 mph and stomp on it. If it PINGS then back the timing off a little and repeat. If it doesn't PING either leave it alone or advance the timing until you get the ping and then back it off a little.

The light will get you in a good general starting location but it's not a requirement for setting the timing.
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

Shoot Robert, we were working jeeps here from 9am-2pm.
      I'm taking off for NM wheeling in the early am but will be back later Saturday, not sure when, depends on what breaks this time.
      You know my email, I got vacum gauges, timing stuff, etc.
      Not that great with AMC stuff but I can dam sure time an engine.
      No email after about 6am for me, I'll pm my phone number.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• beloth
        350 Buick
        • Jun 06, 2003

Originally posted by Tad
        Shoot Robert, we were working jeeps here from 9am-2pm.
        I'm taking off for NM wheeling in the early am but will be back later Saturday, not sure when, depends on what breaks this time.
        You know my email, I got vacum gauges, timing stuff, etc.
        Not that great with AMC stuff but I can dam sure time an engine.
        No email after about 6am for me, I'll pm my phone number.
        We did not get to it till late afternoon today (3ish)....my friend did his best effort but considering he was the one that set the timing the last time and i was blowing the powervalves and it was discovered that the timing was off when we did the spring rebuild thing i am not really confident that he got it set quite right....
        1966 wag "JENNY" w/1973 drivetrain
        330K miles w/360 V8 2bbl (HEI installed ), flowmaster muffler
        TH400 /Dana 20 transfer case D30 /D44 w/ 3.73's LT235/75/R15 AT tires. lift shackles in frt. 2 in lft; w/ TAD's Dozer bumpers! Cost $700 -now total cost=?

Comment

Working...
        X