• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnwaynejeep
    258 I6
    • Dec 03, 2001

On board welder

This isn't an interior upgrade but it is still a nice upgrade to have. this site describes how to build an onboard welder for around $200.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

You may not be able to click on this site you may have to copy and paste.
    John Wayne Jeep<br />I\'ll be looking for a 78 J20 here in a few years. My first halftrack project will then commence.
  • TexasJ10
    360 AMC
    • Jan 03, 2002

You can get additional useful inofrmation and the parts you need at Zena

Zena

Their home page is really confusing, but if you move half way down into the Installation and accessory sections their is some good info.
    * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
    * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
    . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
    * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• Oracle
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 07, 2002

LOL boy is this going to piss of the power/link etc. guys. One thing I would suggest is keeping a fire extinguisher handy when you use one of these, high amps and oil are a bad combination [img]smile.gif[/img]
      (course you should ALWAYS have a fire extinguisher on board your 4w4 anyway). If I get the time i'm going to build one of these and try it out, but think I'll use a rebuilt 85 amp to see if can get the juice I need at lower rpm's than he did.
      83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper

Comment

• Highsteel
        258 I6
        • Dec 21, 2000

Here's the one I've been looking at.. Alot less than $200 depending on how much you pay for the alt..It uses a 90amp Ford altenator which are tough and plentiful..homebuilt welder [img]tongue.gif[/img]
        John <br />78\' Cherokee Chief \"S\" <br />Holley 600/Performer intake<br />Rusty\'s 4\" lift 2\" bodylift<br />6.75 pounds of JB Weld psi.<br />BFG 33\"x12.50\" MT\'s<br />\"built\" Galaxy Ranger ham/cb<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/highsteel29\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/highsteel29</a>

Comment

• Tad
          • Nov 30, 2001

Highsteel, or anyone who saw the pirate 4x4 post.
          Did anyone save this a source file to their HD. I still can't get it opened.
          2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
          EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
          Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• irbob
            360 AMC
            • Apr 11, 2000

tadsal...ask and yee shall receive. Check your email buddy.
            Bob
            83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
            83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• Midnightwagon
              350 Buick
              • Feb 06, 2002

hey thanks all im gonn give both of these a try and try to work with what i get oh btw tadsal what the heck is a stringer?
              my jeep has gone to that great big salvage yard in the sky

Comment

• Sitting Bull
                360 AMC
                • Sep 18, 2000

Wow, that's cool. I even have a spare alt., I guess it could be hooked up where the smog pump used to be if some brackets were fabbed.
                Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• Tad
                  • Nov 30, 2001

Stringer beads are just straight weld beads. No joint or seam, practice beads really. All you would really need to carry for trail use would be some 7014. Easy to use, low slag, medium penetration, all position and would get you by if you needed to weld some cast iron in a pinch.
                  2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                  EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Comment

• irbob
                    360 AMC
                    • Apr 11, 2000

That's a "stringer bead" but a "stringer" is the handle that holds the welding rod. I think. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Bob

Comment

• Tad
                      • Nov 30, 2001

No, that's called a stinger.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• irbob
                        360 AMC
                        • Apr 11, 2000

Duh...like I didn't know that! Stinger/Stringer...if your missing one you'll have no weld, LOL. Thanks tadsal, now I'm going to burn a hole in the side of your rig...on accident of course.. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        Bob

Comment

• wagdriver
                          350 Buick
                          • Oct 14, 2000

I know all welders have there favorite rods. 7014 is a good rod but I have found that it is not to great out of position(any welding position not flat) I am not saying it cannot be done, but requires technique to make it work. For my money I would use 6011 this rod can be used in almost any position and penetrates well, since most of the steel on out Jeeps is mild steel it will do for most any thing on them. This is just my preferance.
                          wagdriver<br />88 Grand Wagoneer<br />145k and still going <br />K&N everything else stock <br />95 Dodge Ram 2500 360 stone stock

Comment

• Tad
                            • Nov 30, 2001

Any rod with a "1" in the third number position is an all position rod. 6010, 6011, 6013, 7014, 7018.
                            Sure wagdriver, you can have your prefrence for welding rods. Course now I like to use rods for their intended purpose. 6011 like 6010 was designed for the root pass on pipe. But, no harm no foul.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• andy d
                              Shade Tree Shaman
                              • May 06, 2000

i like the smell of 6011, it reminds me of the ship yard.
                              \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

Working...
                              X