• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • youngjeeper
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jan 24, 2003

steering wheel worn and torn? -READ THIS-

well the leather on my steering wheel in the 88' was really worn in some places, it had gotten a hole down to the padding. on my drive home from uwharrie i noticed a new hole past the padding and it was marroon! i was curious so i made the hole bigger...then i ripped my whole steering wheel leather cover off to find a nice new steering wheel!!! its the same material as the dash pad under there and looks great..just figured id pass the tip along
    88' GW Stock & Mint
    77' CJ-7
    http://gfsj.org/forums
    Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389
  • jeepguzzi
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Oct 21, 2000

The wheel on my J10 is worn like that. I will check further to see if it is like that,,,,,but I really really don't want a maroon steering wheel,,,,,,,
    79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• RWalker
      232 I6
      • Jul 06, 2002

Mine is the same way. I was going to just go with a black color since I couldnt find a decent match and then when I pulled off the old cover I found that the steering wheel matches the dash and interior. No one has ever noticed that the cover has been removed.
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• elvismith
        232 I6
        • Jan 01, 2004

Interesting. Can one of you post a pic?

Comment

• bob13
          232 I6
          • Jan 23, 2002

Cut mine off a few weeks ago. Much better than the torn up leather look.

bob

[ June 08, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: bob13 ]
          89Wagoneer SOLD to Millerluck

Comment

• Buddy in Texarkana
            232 I6
            • Oct 03, 2003

I went with the Wheelskins leather cover. It is a really high quality cover. Grandwagoneers.com has them for $60 (ouch), but you can get them straight from the company somewhat cheaper. I like the way mine turned out. Not too hard to put on either, just take your time and keep it TIGHT. The only difference is that the ones from the company direct have holes all the way around (GW's are custom with the holes left out where they need to be for a Jeep wheel). This works better, because you can rotate it just a little to offset the seams at the bottom to get a better fit. I really like mine, and have had several folks ask what kind it is so they can get one. I think their web is:
            Wheelskins manufactures and distributes genuine leather steering wheel covers. Our best quality covers come in many styles and fit your steering wheel perfectly
            1988 GW 136000mi (daily driver), Stock springs with a little sag, 31-10.50's on stock rims, de-smogged 360 w/ rebuilt 2150, More leaks than I can start to track down, more money than I want to add up.

Comment

• Matthew W. Woodruff
              327 Rambler
              • Nov 13, 2002

Wait a sec, are you telling me that my cheap-looking plastic steering wheel was orginally covered by stanard-issue ultra-luxury leather wheel wrap?

I knew that the PO had beat on my Waggie pretty hard, but I didn't know that he had also skinned her alive ...

Buddy in Texarkana: which "works better"? the wheelskins or the grandwagoneers.com wrap?
              Matthew W. Woodruff<br />[email protected]<br />1989 Grand Wagoneer \"Laredo\"<br /><br />What works: tailgate window, rear wiper/washer, power windows, A/C, temp and compass, seat belt buzzer, fog lights, cruise control<br /><br />What doesn\'t: gas gauge, remote door locks, rear window defroster, cigar lighter

Comment

• Millerluck
                360 AMC
                • Sep 08, 2000

Did mine like that years ago.

After time you will get this black funk on it like mine.

Later

Larry
                88GW "Mississippi" 401,Edelbrock heads,and stuff,
                4" Skyjacker, BFG AT's,OBA,Air Horn.

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
                4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
                http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html

Comment

Working...
                X