• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSharpe
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 21, 2014

Looking for opinions on paint choice

Hey guys, I have a 1980 Cherokee Laredo. The factory color was black. I've also got the factory Laredo stripe kit to put back on. Here is my dilemma. I plan to use this rig for camping, hunting, general driving around so I'm not sure I want to go with a gloss black. Right now I'm thinking a matte black with the factory stripe kit. I want to keep it kind of original with maybe a slight twist. What are your thought? Any pictures of something similar? Thanks, JS
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by JSharpe
    Hey guys, I have a 1980 Cherokee Laredo. The factory color was black. I've also got the factory Laredo stripe kit to put back on. Here is my dilemma. I plan to use this rig for camping, hunting, general driving around so I'm not sure I want to go with a gloss black. Right now I'm thinking a matte black with the factory stripe kit. I want to keep it kind of original with maybe a slight twist. What are your thought? Any pictures of something similar? Thanks, JS
    Matte or flat paints are made by adding a flattening agent (typically powdered talc) which roughens the usual gloss. Adding a flattener to any paint makes the surface softer and reduces its durability.

With black, you could use a single stage paint and any scratches would not be very visible. A BC/CC paint will show scratches as white stripes that will stand out strongly on a black base. Plus you can rub out a gloss SS until you reach the primer, and respray any damaged sections quite easily.

Matte black is kind of trendy now, and I would expect it to go out of fashion at some point. It seems like gloss black has been popular since cars have existed. However, gloss black is very revealing, and a black car with high gloss will show every dent and ripple in the body work. If you want to show off your skill as a body man, paint the car black.

Black also shows dirt and dust like no other color.

Black is an inexpensive pigment, so it won't cost a lot to touch up or repaint completely if you choose to. Really, for a trail Jeep, a solid earth color like white, tan or gray seems like a more practical choice. Looks clean longer, keeps the interior cooler, inexpensive to buy, forgiving of wavy body work, easy to apply.
    Last edited by tgreese; 11-04-2019, 09:56 AM.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• UnkleMunky
      350 Buick
      • Oct 17, 2000

Tim added a whole lot of great perspective above! I can only add a few thoughts...

I agree with him on the positives of black. It does seem a bit bland though, but is very universal to deal with. White is the opposite end of that, but likewise very universal to deal with. I am not a fan of white, however.....living up north where rust and ANY dirt/mud just shows up like crazy on white. Most light colors are not far off in that regard. But there are pros and cons to light vs. dark colors.

A variation of things could be to go with a nice dark charcoal color. If you get it dark enough it would almost seem black to many and maybe close enough to the original black that it'd be closer to the stock you would prefer. Personally, I think most any vehicle looks pretty darn good in a nice charcoal. Most are a metallic, but I suppose it's not required....could just be a dark grey.

If you want to vary things up a bit, I've seen some nice Jeeps in what appears to be a dark charcoal from a distance, but when you get closer it's really a dark blue/charcoal or something like that. You could also do likewise with a very dark green that could look nearly black from a distance. Either of those would add variety while still being decent.

There are all kinds of options, though, and it really boils down to your preference. Have you looked though the paint colors from the years around your Cherokee? Maybe there would be something there or close that you'd like.
      Michael (UnkleMunky)
      '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
      '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
      Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• Towtruck
        350 Buick
        • Oct 11, 2001

I'm a fan of flat, matt, and satin on these old angular boxes. Never cared for the Jeep decal kits. Discrete pin striping on matt or satin would look cool. Otherwise full on flame job, or leave it alone. My repaint project (Eastwood satin black) is wrapping up in the build section. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=186739

Check with Eastwood for all manner of catalyzed (UV protected) flats and matts including clearcoats...or simply buy my truck and avoid a massive PITA.

DSCN1846 by Rufus, on Flickr
        Last edited by Towtruck; 11-04-2019, 05:00 PM.
        J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• Rusty76
          258 I6
          • Jul 15, 2018

Exciting times for you. I'm hooked on some of the classic 70's colours.
          My current #1 is dark brown. Some real nice greens back in the day as well.

My take on the flat, matte , satin is if its done really well it looks really good but I think its really hard to do well and just looks horrible if done poorly. I will be painting my jeep myself. Without the skills to back it up I'm leaning towards lighter colours.

Towtruck's truck fits into the "sick" category. Very well done.

Keep us posted.
          1976 Jeep Wagoneer
          Rebuilt, 360, TH400, QT.
          Still not running. Soon!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

OOOOooooorrrr You could have it vinyl wrapped. Then it could whatever color you want, and when you camp/offroad with it, you will feel much less bad about tree branch pinstriping, rock chips, etc.

Get it gloss black this time and when you get bored with it and feel like changing to matte, go have it re-wrapped.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
            X