• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yossarian19
    258 I6
    • Nov 13, 2016

Steering box swap-ology

So, I looked up replacement steering boxes on Rockauto.com
    Click on the part number and, to my surprise, it shows up as being a GM "A" Body box as well as about a million other things. Cool - that means tons of aftermarket for these things.
    Then I recall reading that a 93-98 Grand Cherokee steering box is physically identical to an A-body box but with a quicker steering ratio (12.7:1), making it a desirable junkyard swap for those cars.
    Anyone here tried one in an FSJ? I like the steering a little quicker and the steering a little heavier than was common for the era these were built in. On the other hand, if it's a two-handed operation to park with one then I'm out
  • 78 WIDETRAC
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

I bought and installed a quick ratio steering box from an 88 Iroc camaro into my 1986 Grand Wag. The box only has 3 mounting points for the frame VS 4 on a wag box.

It bolted right in zero mods. To me it takes some time to get used the feel. I thought I would like it because I had an 88 Iroc for a while but it is a totally different feel in the wag. The wag has been down for the last couple of months with expired tags so I havent really had time to get used to it. I think it was around 70 dollars from autozone. I replaced the wag one because it leaked like a pig.

Comment

• 8man
      304 AMC
      • Jan 04, 2011

Used an S10 in RT. There are some write ups here. Same 3 bolt pattern as mentioned above.
      79 Cherokee S (current project)
      82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

The usual swap is the gear from a 4x4 S-10 or Blazer (or Bravada?) It only has 3 tabs, but it's variable ratio so it is easy on the highway and more responsive in turns. Plus these newer gears are reputed to be much more durable than the original gears, so your typical junkyard pick does not need any refurbishing. Lots of discussion of this in old posts.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• chrism
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 07, 2002

What year FSJ is it going in? Hoses changed in 1980 to o-ring which will work with all the newer boxes. If its going into an older rig you will need to get new hoses or those flare to o-ring adapters.
          I have the 98-99 Durango w/snowplow option on my rigs. Its a big bore box like the old J20 one but with o-ring fittings. I recommend a steering box brace if your pushing big tires or wheeling with it since it also only has 3 mounting holes (I would still put one on even if it had 4).
          1979 Cherokee
          1979 CJ-7

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

Originally posted by chrism
            What year FSJ is it going in? Hoses changed in 1980 to o-ring which will work with all the newer boxes. If its going into an older rig you will need to get new hoses or those flare to o-ring adapters.
            I have the 98-99 Durango w/snowplow option on my rigs. Its a big bore box like the old J20 one but with o-ring fittings. I recommend a steering box brace if your pushing big tires or wheeling with it since it also only has 3 mounting holes (I would still put one on even if it had 4).
            Several ways to skin this cat. You can replace the flares with O rings which I did & used the later model S 10 4x4 box mentioned.

Or if you prefer to stay with Flare the Early model or for most aggressive steering use the Monza 2+2 V/8 Box. It bolts right on. Cheapest & most.

Lot's of documentation & oipinions on this.

I have ther Monza box on My Honcho. Awesome.
            I have the late model S 10 on my Cherokee.
            Really like it thought slightly slower steering ratioo.

Both ratios are faster 6than Stock waggy box.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Working...
            X