New ##Pics of my SOA hydro assist / steering box..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn_tx
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 08, 2002

Is there a technical write up somewhere on the web?

Donzi, I sent you an email.
    Glenn<br /><br />-I\'d rather be a fencepost in Texas than the king of Tennessee!

Comment

• The Donzi
      327 Rambler
      • Dec 11, 2002

blt2krl, I drilled the box in a vise, upside down. Then I stuffed the hole with a shop towel and tapped it upside down, removed the towel upside down and used a small vacuum pump to make sure I got all the shavings. It really wasn't too messy but I was trying to be cautious!!
      1979 Cherokee Chief <br />360,400,1339,44,14ff,SOA,<br />Hydro assist,44044\'s, 63\" chevy rears, Dual electric fans, 35\"SX\'s on hummer rims Rhino lined interior, f/r reciever hitches, Warn 9000i<br />Edelbrock intake, truck avenger<br />Engle cam, chopped, caged

Comment

• The Donzi
        327 Rambler
        • Dec 11, 2002

Glenn, here are some links to info that I used:

Just a note, I don't recommend tapping the aluminum caps because they are prone to failure. My pics should show you exactly where to tap, if you need a better shot just let me know. There is alot more info on Pirate4x4 but I can't find my bookmark (way too many!!!)

Hope this helps...

----Jeff
        1979 Cherokee Chief <br />360,400,1339,44,14ff,SOA,<br />Hydro assist,44044\'s, 63\" chevy rears, Dual electric fans, 35\"SX\'s on hummer rims Rhino lined interior, f/r reciever hitches, Warn 9000i<br />Edelbrock intake, truck avenger<br />Engle cam, chopped, caged

Comment

• Glenn_tx
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 08, 2002

Donzi, I just thought of something. You're gonna have to do the high steer for sure if you go back to the stock springs. I have stock springs on mine and there would not be enough clearance for the ram end under the spring.

I may add a set of aal's to pick it up a little, I also added a winch today so I may need a little more support anyway.
          Glenn<br /><br />-I\'d rather be a fencepost in Texas than the king of Tennessee!

Comment

• The Donzi
            327 Rambler
            • Dec 11, 2002

Glenn, I'll check it a little closer tommorrow but the ram only sticks up about .5" above the tierod. I hope thats not the case!!! I think it will clear the spring because the tierod end is .5" below the lowest part of the spring and since its line of travel will always follow the spring it shouldn't ever hit the spring.

Comment

• Glenn_tx
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 08, 2002

Well, my springs aren't new by any means, but they were in direct contact with my steering shaft til I added a .5" spacer to even the spring pad height up with the other side.

Comment

• JeepKahn
                350 Buick
                • Mar 21, 2002

I've been looking at doing this setup, but I was thinking of doing a 2x6 ram and using a lever link... Ram attached to axle, a link connected between the tierod and axle, and the other end of the ram connected 2/3's between the axle and tierod... it would be lighter, would react quicker, and as long as the link was on the same axis as the knuckles wouldn't bind, it'd still be plenty stout because the 2' bore cylinders are actually strong enough to remove the knuckle from a D60.... and a 6" stroke with a 1/3 leverage factor would move the tierod 9".... I know, I always have to be differant... [img]smile.gif[/img]
                \"Smoke\'m, They\'ll Stick\"<br /><br />Got Heat Problems???Want Free HP???<br />Check This Out!!!<br /><a href=\"http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=024412\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=024412</a><br /><br />Jeremy Kahn [email protected]<br />79 J10Honcho \"SickPuppy\"<br />360,Th400,D20,[email protected],35x12.50s <br />Mobi-Arc on board welder<br /><br />Winston-Salem,NC<br /><br />!!!Will Weld for Gas!!!

Comment

• The Donzi
                  327 Rambler
                  • Dec 11, 2002

Glenn, I thought you were talking about the ram hitting the spring. Ooops!!! Well, I was hoping that the drag link would clear stock spings. So all you had to do was put in a spacer on top of the pass. side perch? What about keeping the perches level???no big deal???or should I space both sides??

When does it ever end

I think if I have to weld on some spacers I'm just going to convert to high cross over steering.

Comment

• Glenn_tx
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jun 08, 2002

Yeah, I meant the connection of the ram shaft would come into contact with the spring when you turn left.

I only put a spacer on the driver side since the spring perch that's on the diff. sits higher. Think I read about it on RB's site.

Comment

• The Donzi
                      327 Rambler
                      • Dec 11, 2002

Ok, I know what you are talking about now. No, the ram should be fine and if it does hit all you have to do is move the tab to a lower position on the tierod.

I spaced the driver side perch a little and cut down the pass. side perch a little so they are about even.

Comment

• timmirvin
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 29, 2003

Hey Donzi do you still have the Autozone part number?????
                        \'88 GW...<b>Harley</b><br />Truck Avenger, Performer Intake, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 31x10.50 Goodyear MTR\'s, 15x10 American Racing, Planned: Mossy Oak Camo Clad instead of wood grain!!! Daily Driver<br /><br />\'82 Wag......<b>Sherman</b><br />360/727/NP208/AMC20r/D44f, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 15x10s with 31x10.50s, Homemade 4\" lift, Lincoln Locked Front & Rear...Hunting Vehicle<br /><br />Several Parts Wags<br /><br />Experience is something you don\'t get until right after you need it...

Comment

• The Donzi
                          327 Rambler
                          • Dec 11, 2002

timmirvin: I don't know which is the part nuber, but here are the numbers from the receipt:

Steering gear box 276507
                          Item 3790126 $132.79 + (15.00 core)

Comment

• rockjeep44
                            The Advisor
                            • Oct 15, 2001

Originally posted by blt2krl:
                            how did you tapp your box with out shavings going into the box? Looks great by the way..
                            I took my box totally apart and had a machine shop tap the box and weld the fittings in. Then I cleaned it out thoroughly and put it back together.
                            Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
                            There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
                            "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• JeepKahn
                              350 Buick
                              • Mar 21, 2002

As a point of referance, the ram you can get from Tractor Supply company, it's a stock item at about $65.00 , and there are TSC's all over the place...
                              \"Smoke\'m, They\'ll Stick\"<br /><br />Got Heat Problems???Want Free HP???<br />Check This Out!!!<br /><a href=\"http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=024412\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.ifsja.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=024412</a><br /><br />Jeremy Kahn [email protected]<br />79 J10Honcho \"SickPuppy\"<br />360,Th400,D20,[email protected],35x12.50s <br />Mobi-Arc on board welder<br /><br />Winston-Salem,NC<br /><br />!!!Will Weld for Gas!!!

Comment

• blt2krl
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • Apr 03, 2001

Originally posted by rockjeep44:
                                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by blt2krl:
                                how did you tapp your box with out shavings going into the box? Looks great by the way..
                                I took my box totally apart and had a machine shop tap the box and weld the fittings in. Then I cleaned it out thoroughly and put it back together.</font>[/QUOTE]I definitly want to make sure it is thourghly clean as well.
                                Paul Hartman
                                79 waggoneer
                                AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                                DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
                                39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
                                www.cbioffroadfab.com
                                WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

Working...
                                X