• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J10Mike
    Delightfully Incompetent
    • Jun 04, 2003

What's the deal with offroad lights?

I don't mean to sound like Andy Rooney. But, myself and another local FSJ'er had a discussion on the merits of offroad lights recently. And, I thought I would bring it up as a topic of discussion here.
    Keep in mind, I'm as guilty as the next guy with high wattage long range offroad lights on the light (roll) bar and lights in my Cliffhanger bumper.
    Let's get to the nitty gritty. Most, if not all offroad lights are designed as very bright, high wattage, and long range lights. These lights are designed for night time high speed racing such as Baja.
    Yet, I'm sorry. But, I don't know a lot of offroad guys here or anywhere else that drive offroad at 75 MPH or more at night. Very few that I know hardly ever go offroad at night period. Yet, a lot of us including most other crowds have numerous long range offroad lights attached to their vehicles. Why is this? Is it the cool factor?
    It seems to me that if I were to go offroad at night, I would want a short range and a wide area of illumination type of offroad lighting...like a flood light.
    Let's hear your opinions. What do you think?
    www.j10mike.com
    Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

• TexTJ209
    360 AMC
    • Oct 06, 2005

When I had KC's on my TJ, they came in real handy for making my way out of the backcountry after a fishing trip ran on a bit too long. The long range type pointed slightly outward give a nice wide lighting area that the stock headlights just can't provide. This, plus the fact I typically do 50mph down the sections of beach I had to travel.

Would the Flood type be better? No clue as I've never used them.

Are they necessary per se...no. But they help.

Most of the time they are just pointless offroad bling.
    '10 Chevy Silverado 5.3L - The DD.
    '81 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo
    '73 Jeep J2000 - On the perpetual backburner.
    Texas A&M Offroad

Comment

• Smith
      258 I6
      • Sep 04, 2006

If you let them heat up nice you can probably cook a nice lil' egg. Cleans the dead flies right off with that omlet as well!

Nah, I would only ever use them if I was woodin' an' ran into dark.

I'm sure some people use them to show their appreciation for bein' cut off but you know, I'm sure no one does that around these boards
      Tyler Smith Nickname: Smitty (Original? I know)

1966 Jeep Gladiator - Skoodge
      1978 Jeep J10

Comment

• aerocorey
        304 AMC
        • Oct 14, 2006

Some of the trails I do at night go into the trees. It's nice to have some lights with enough power to punch through a fair amount of vegetation. It's not always about lighting up your own path. Sometimes it's about lighting up someone else's rig for repairs or so they can see obstacles better. I think they're of value in certain situations other than baja racing, but not a nessecity in most cases. They sure do look cool though!
        Corey

Current
        87 GW "Big Bear"
        76 J20 project "Ox"
        90 GW parts rig "Velma"
        77 J10 parts rig "NoMo" (as in "no more Jeeps, Corey!")
        94 YJ "Coop"

Past
        88 GW "Hercules" (had to sell in '08, curious who has it now)
        83 Wag parts rig "Shaggy" (used to build Herc, then scrapped)
        73 J4000 (had to sell due to PCS in '07)
        75 Cherokee "Jerry Lee" (sold in '13 because I'm an idiot)
        74 Cherokee "Dino" (used to build Jerry Lee, then scrapped)

Comment

• J10Joe
          304 AMC
          • Oct 06, 2005

excactly, they are great for lighting a midnight repair on the trail. On your buddie's Fourd of course.
          1985 J-10 LWB
          258/727/NP208
          4" lift, TFI, MC 2100

1988 J20-one of the last ones
          8400 GVRW
          360/727/208
          TFI, Rustolium (brushed)
          Fisher/Meyers plow truck

Comment

• FSJ-Earl
            304 AMC
            • May 02, 2003

I had some on my GW but took them off when I got my winch bumper. The ONLY time I ever used them was for some late night emergency trail repairs and when I assisted with severe weather emergencies with the local police, fire, or EMS. Other than that, pretty much off road bling.
            FSJ-Earl
            2002 F350 Diesel - tow rig / family hauler
            2008 4 door JK Rubicon - Wife's Daily Driver
            1989 GW - the one that started it all
            1983 - J15 - J10 body + J20 running gear = J15 Trail rig

Comment

• ChiefTawny
              258 I6
              • Jul 28, 2005

I have the Lightforce brand on my baby jeep and they're adjustable like a mag light! flood to pencil beam long distance.
              SOLD!!!
              77 Cherokee Chief
              BJ's 6" lift
              35's on rusty white wagons

Comment

• Lindel
                Perfesser of Jeepology
                • Jun 15, 2000

You really need two types of light for decent night time trail riding. You need a set of wide angle, or fog lights (prefferably white), and some long range driving style lights.

That way you can light up the area immediatly around you and off in the distance. Or someone's rig for nighttime repairs, etc.
                Jeep Grounds
                RRV Homepage
                Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                1987 Grand Wagoneer
                AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                1999 Wrangler Sport
                4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• J10Mike
                  Delightfully Incompetent
                  • Jun 04, 2003

Originally posted by ChiefTawny
                  I have the Lightforce brand on my baby jeep and they're adjustable like a mag light! flood to pencil beam long distance.
                  Really? I never heard of those. I think I'll look that type of lighting.
                  www.j10mike.com
                  Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• gsmikie
                    Auto Trannie God
                    • Feb 18, 2001

take one of your KCdaylighters and have the machine shop sand/bead blast the lens then you will have a very nice area flood a cheap set of driving lights work good for this also for a wide low pattern the mid to late 80's mustang/ranger driving lights work great when im in mexico i cant have enough lights
                    I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• Headhoncho
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Oct 11, 2006

When I got my truck one of the first things I did was put a couple KC type lights on it because they were "in vogue" at the time. They were great for lighting things up a quarter mile away but were no good for anything close up. Then the show trucks went overboard (like they did with multiple shocks) and made them fall out of popularity. Nowadays, less is more and they've designed ones that are more useable than to just fry ants with. I like aftermarket lights but only if there's a few and they're put in stock appearing locations.

JR
                      [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                      1966 mustang fastback
                      '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• TexTJ209
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 06, 2005

Originally posted by J10Mike
                        Really? I never heard of those. I think I'll look that type of lighting.

They're an Australian brand. Pretty sweet, some of them are designed to take a shotgun blast from a few feet away.
                        '10 Chevy Silverado 5.3L - The DD.
                        '81 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo
                        '73 Jeep J2000 - On the perpetual backburner.
                        Texas A&M Offroad

Comment

a clear fog beam helps with wet roads and finding what is coming out of the ditch. I also have a pair of floods (warn) that offer wide angle lighting on the dunes and trails, also useful for seeing deer in the winter when going to or coming from work. I get away with those because of not too much traffic, but keep a finger near the switch just in case.
                          Art
                          ASE Master Collision Tech
                          "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• bigun
                            • Feb 10, 2003

Ditto on having both floods and spots different situations call for different lighting. Eventually Crom will be getting rock lights under the fenders and I picked up a really cool military spot light that is corded with a self recoiling 20' cord. We just need to convert it to 12 volt and figure out where to bolt it in.
                            charlie
                            KB0HXA
                            "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                            congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                            How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                            Robert A. Heinlein
                            The birth of CROM is recorded here
                            http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Gambler68
                              Rabble Rouser
                              • Feb 29, 2004

They're great for spotting suicidal jackrabbits at night.

I have a couple of driving light kits laying around. I plan on using them differently..mounting one in the engine bay for nighttime illumnation, and one under the rear floor pan for backing up illumniation. As fun as it would be to have one pointing at windshield height for tailgaters, I'll pass on that. If they want to eat gravel being flung up from 33x13.50's, not my problem.
                              1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                              1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                              The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                              X