• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Jeeper
    232 I6
    • Sep 08, 2019

89 G Wagoneer-Can't find Lock/Unlock Relays

I have a 1989 Grand Wagoneer with power locks/windows and overhead console with factory remote door lock/unlock.

The 1989 factory service wiring diagrams show a door lock relay and a door unlock relay. Both are supposed to be located under the right side of the instrument panel behind the dash. I have checked all over, but can't find them. I pulled the radio, A/C controls and the 4WD switch to get better access to remote spots that they might be hidden in.

I could use some photos if anyone has any. I locked and unlocked the locks but could not hear the relays over the sound of the door lock actuators. Is it possible that early production 1989 GW's did not have relays, similar to the 1988's? I am not sure when mine was produced. I am trying to find them in order to replace them for better electrical current going to the locks.

I have been reading posts on this forum to help me restore my 89 which just had a Howell fuel injection installed and is running for the first time in 15 years. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

usually above AC unit, may have to drop it to find them.

most time poor lock operation is because of door switches.
    they get all corroded/funked up inside after 30yrs.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
      232 I6
      • Sep 08, 2019

I'm going to have to drop the A/C a bit to change the heater core, so I can check for relays above the A/C in a few weeks. I worked the lock mechanisms over a couple years ago and they almost work properly now. I will open up the switches also to clean contacts.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

heater core is under the hood.
        The A/C is independent system on these.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
          232 I6
          • Sep 08, 2019

I have read that the A/C assembly needs to be dropped 3 to 4" to access a bolt inside the vehicle on the firewall to release the heater enclosure in the engine compartment.

Comment

Working...
          X