• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unclethumbtack
    258 I6
    • Aug 08, 2006

Timing Problem?

When I got the 360 that is in my jeep now it did not have a base plate. I got one and put it on. Had the carb (mc2100) rebuilt last week. Changed the plugs. It idles great, but if I am running down the road and let all the way off and then punch it again it stumbles for a second not every time but enough that it is starting to make me mad. I am wondering if I need to advance the timing a little bit or if there is something else I am over looking, maybe I switched two plug wires.
    Unclethumbtack
    81' Cherokee the turdburglar (off-road project)
    360 727 208 SOA 35" procomps
    Ramsey Winch
    77 J-10 258 QT (the restoration project)
  • brent
    304 AMC
    • Feb 14, 2003

Responding cause I had this happen, great idle, but stumbled under load. Timing is the most obvious culprit, and it would be easy to advance a couple degrees to find out.
    My hunch is "new" carb though. Even thought you had it rebuilt and slapped on, you can still yank breather case, unscrew top and visually inspect.
    Haynes would tell you fuel pump and accelerator pump, as well, but the longer I own an FSJ the more I realize haynes and chiltons' troubleshooting lists are very short and inadequate.
    Brent
    79 J10 360-T18-D20 D44's 31X10.5 Edel 1406 w/R4B, speed
    -despite thousands invested, 360 in putrid death dance-

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."

Comment

• unclethumbtack
      258 I6
      • Aug 08, 2006

I thought maybe accelerator pump but I messed with it and it actually got worse. I set it where it calls for in the haynes manual and it was still doing it I guess I could get another accelerator pump and throw on it to see if it gets better.
      Unclethumbtack
      81' Cherokee the turdburglar (off-road project)
      360 727 208 SOA 35" procomps
      Ramsey Winch
      77 J-10 258 QT (the restoration project)

Comment

• GWChris
        304 AMC
        • Jan 22, 2005

Be sure to lubricate the accelerator pump pin where it comes through the housing in the front (after making sure it moves freely). Mine was binding up there, and a little grease made a huge difference.

Comment

Working...
        X