• dusty
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 20, 2006

Sacreligious WT Chief converted to the Dark and smokey side Cummins 4bta

Teaser shots

The begining product

The interior already equipt with a NV4500 and a D300 twin sticked

After a little turd polishing we now have a modified scummins
    thats getting closer to what i want to see when i pop the hood.

few new gaskets a new turbo, new intake, some paint remover, a new coat of paint. some lennys injectors no head studs YET but that may be soon. new seals and add a vacum pump and PS pump and Walla

Dont mind that oil filter that was the dodge filter assembly im going to have to go with a Remote mount system. just not on there yet.

Specs
    CPL 857 120 4BTA with VE pump
    Lennys injectors
    Late model 2003 HY35/9cm
    24V intake horn ...... going with a 1st gen dodge intake. the 2nd gen hits my brake booster
    planning on 3" tube and a small air to air cooler in front of the AC condensor
    6spd flywheel and 13" disk
    NV4500 dodge bellhousing 1.25" 10 spline input 23 spline output
    York Air conditioning compressor to be mounted above the alternator. im going to fab that bracket this weekend
    Dodge Vacum pump and PS pump
    Dodge Accessories
    Nipendenso alternator with mopus external regulator.

1979 ahhhem CA .... 1974 Cherokee chief currently with a AMC 401 9.8 :1 pistons HEI Crane HMV272 496/512 cam single 3" exhaust with edelbrock shortie headers, Flowmaster 5 chamber muffler 70 series? AA bellhousing, NV4500 D300

I know im going to be selling the edelbrock shortie headers (which the seramic coating is flaking off of) , the exhaust if you are local, the Bellhosuing and input shaft, Clutch linkage ect since that is all BRAND new. Holley TA 670 might be up for dibs too.

The rig Before the 4" lift, bilistsins, 33"s and a life. still leaks water in places that drive me nuts but i'll tackle that next winter. im gonna try and emulate TNdonner's hydraulic clutch setup utilizing the ford master and dodge slave. that combo worked well on my 97 ford when i put a cummins in it so the only frustrating part might be installing a stud in the right location ont he stock jeep pedals. fortunately i should have no driveline or tanny issues as those are already mounted and running. pretty much change bellhousing. wled mounts to frame . remove motor finalize everything. insulate the daylight out of the floor and firwall ect and enjoy.

motor $1800
    added parts, clutch disk, gaskets, oil filter adapter, remote oil filter, misc headaches, tylenol supply, excedrin, motor mounts, misc bolts $1000
    intercooler tubing and hoses ebay $150 or less.
    Hydraulic clutch parts $200
    turbo i had, clutch scavenged from my dodge just added a new disk and input to the nv4500 $300

$3500 +/- at 22mpg it will take me roughly 40k miles to pay for this conversion in fuel savings. plus i drive the chief more and my truck less. another catch the 401 out of the chief is going in my cj since my cj motor ate a piston and needed a rebuild so either way i was going to spend at least 2k on a rebuild

4bta 4bt cummins 3.9 diesel
    Last edited by dusty; 11-24-2008, 02:50 PM.
    Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
    The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."
  • GWDriver
    304 AMC
    • Jul 07, 2003

Its gonna be sweet! I'd eventually like to do a Cummins swap into my '84 Grand. Someday......... Right now I'm putting in a rebuilt 360 but can see the $$$ flying out the window in gas. Oil burners in these rigs are sweet.

Luck, and more pics as the swap goes along.
    LarryD
    USMC Retired

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
    1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
    2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
    2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed

Comment

• PlasticBoob
      All Makes Combined
      • Jun 30, 2003

Awesome! Don't forget to keep informing us of your progess!!!!!
      Rob
      1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
      Click for video

Comment

• dusty
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 20, 2006

Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly.

I jsut gotta keep the expenditures to a minimum since ive got a Wedding to pay for this fall.

Get the projects 90% done before you tie the knot. that way you already own them and the wfe doesnt see the money flying out the check book.

bare with me im taking my first vacation in three years during Febuary the soon to be and i are going dove hunting in Argentina......
        Last edited by dusty; 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM.
        Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• janie
          • Aug 11, 2001

Originally posted by dusty
          Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly.

ROTFLMAO! Been there and done that.

Dusty, very, very nice. Beautiful Cherk
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• Lindel
            Perfesser of Jeepology
            • Jun 15, 2000

Now your going to have to change the name of the Jeep to Dark Helmet...

Keep the updates coming, this looks to be fun to watch.
            Jeep Grounds
            RRV Homepage
            Texas Full Size Jeep Association
            1987 Grand Wagoneer
            AMC 360/TF727/NP229
            1999 Wrangler Sport
            4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• smearig
              232 I6
              • Dec 20, 2007

Looks like it's going to be a sweet ride! I might be interested in the Holley TA depending on price and condition. PM me if you decide to get rid of it.
              1983 WT Cherokee
              2003 Ram 2500
              2003 Bandit 1200s

Comment

• VR'92
                230 Tornado
                • Jan 09, 2008

Nice swap.

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

That's a sweet Cherokee and with the dsl in it'll be really sweet.
                  joe
                  "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

i've always liked your clean chero.... can't wait to see the swap!

Al
                    79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                    99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                    07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• dusty
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jul 20, 2006

Originally posted by AlsChopShop
                      i've always liked your clean chero.... can't wait to see the swap!

Al

Thanks.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Comment

• ne715
                        350 Buick
                        • Mar 16, 2006

Not to hijack this thread, but what vehicles did the 4BTA come in and what tranny/transfer cases were avialable?

BTW nice truck. Once was a time when I wouldn't own a diesel, now I have two and really liking them.

Alan

Comment

• BRUTUS
                          360 AMC
                          • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by ne715
                          Not to hijack this thread, but what vehicles did the 4BTA come in and what tranny/transfer cases were avialable?

BTW nice truck. Once was a time when I wouldn't own a diesel, now I have two and really liking them.

Alan
                          Most commonly are found in Frito Lay delivery truck types. Not sure what else they come in.
                          "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
                          Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
                          Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• Mikel
                            • Aug 09, 2000

That's going to be a ridiculously cool truck. Keep us updated!
                            1969 M715 6x6
                            1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• dusty
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jul 20, 2006

Originally posted by ne715

Alan
                              cool thing about a 4bt is almost everything from a 6bt interchanges so you can mix and match parts wo make it fit almost any application.

a whole host of box vans. generator sets ect. they arent as easy to come by as a 6bt. the dodge 6bt's are the easiest to come by and have the most compact easy to come by parts. to put dodge tranny bellhousing and flywheel behind a 4bt you need the engine adapter plate, bellhousing, flywheel and apropriate starter. its a mix and match game but its fun to get it all figured out.

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

Comment

Working...
                              X