Anybody (tad) read the PSC welding post on pirate and co4x4.org?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max Power
    327 Rambler
    • Sep 25, 2001

Anybody (tad) read the PSC welding post on pirate and co4x4.org?

mostly a he said she said thing, but it basically boils down to the following question...

"is this a safe weld?"

I would be interested in opinions from certified welders.

heres the whole post, get comfortable, 6 pages on pirate.

and co4x4.org, only 3 pages.

tia,
    Robert

anyone who wants to can post this pic, I can rebuild my carb, but can never remember how to post pics here.

[ March 17, 2004, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Coach McGuirk ]

Cheers,
    Robert
    www.rbk3.com/fsj
    1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo WT 360/727/208
    1980 MBZ Euro 300D 4-speed manual - Oil Squeezer
    1984 MBZ Euro 300D 5-speed manual - Oil Squeezer
  • mountainlander
    258 I6
    • Feb 15, 2004

Holy smokes that is some scary scary scary caulking gun welding.......
    Robert Fenton

Comment

It looks like individual spot welds overlaping. The 'stacked dimes' should over lap enough to cover the center pin hole. Maybe Tad will chime in.

[ March 17, 2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: chevelleguy ]
      David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
      83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
      10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• robselina
        304 AMC
        • Feb 26, 2003

i'd like to see some more overlap on those 'dimes' or better yet a continuous bead...I'm kinda surprised they'd post this as an example of their work....

[ March 17, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: robselina ]
        Rob

Comment

• AMC258
          304 AMC
          • Apr 07, 2003

I'm no fabricator, but, as was stated by several people on PBB, those welds are scary, and so is the lack of triangulation of the cage, but like I said, I'm no fabricator.
          Aaron McGuin <br /><br />80 Cherokee (The Short Bus) <br />Rebuilt 258<br />T176/NP208<br />31x10.50x15 OTR Muds from High Tec Retreading<br />84 GW (Gabby)<br />258/TF999/NP229<br />really bald 235 75R15s<br />Slowly becoming a shell of its former self.

Comment

• Tad
            • Nov 30, 2001

Actually J10/J20 Project started this same thread over in Gen Disc about a week ago.

It's refered to as stitch welding by some and backstep by others (imporperly).

I don't really see the need for it in that application but don't doubt the integrity of Poison Spider products.

I do think it's pretty goofy, but some folks actually care about that bling crap.
            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
            Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• blt2krl
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Apr 03, 2001

that was a waste of my time(all except the talk about the welds ) ...Really don't see a point of starting our own thread on crappy PSC this and crappy PSC that. I agree with Billavista 100%

Coach I made my point more clear [img]smile.gif[/img] Sometimes I forget to type words on the screen.

[ March 17, 2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: blt2krl ]
              Paul Hartman
              79 waggoneer
              AMC360/TH-400/203/205
              DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
              39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
              www.cbioffroadfab.com
              WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Max Power
                327 Rambler
                • Sep 25, 2001

well shut my mouth, guess I'll be using the search button in the future.

Thanx for chiming in on this Tad. I've been following the CO4x4.org thread for a while now, and after I read your Pig abuse post I decided that I wanted to hear your thoughts. (and now I have, twice!)

bltk - I don't kno enough to say whats crappy and whats not, and I don't kno any of the 'welders' who responded on the other threads. But I have read enough of Tads posts to respect and seek his opinion.

[ March 17, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Coach McGuirk ]

Cheers,
                Robert
                www.rbk3.com/fsj
                1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo WT 360/727/208
                1980 MBZ Euro 300D 4-speed manual - Oil Squeezer
                1984 MBZ Euro 300D 5-speed manual - Oil Squeezer

Comment

• robselina
                  304 AMC
                  • Feb 26, 2003

Originally posted by tadsal:

I do think it's pretty goofy, but some folks actually care about that bling crap.
                  this is true; looks matter to some people. If I were paying out that kind of $$$ for a custom cage, I'd want real beads, but it wasn't for me and I'm betting it would hold up...
                  Rob

Comment

• kyjman
                    Banned
                    • Apr 04, 2001

IMO I think the stitch welds will hold ok for the intended use of this type of roll bar.....ie.....looks for the streets.......Most folks underestimate the holding power of a well placed weld. I dont know the tecno specs but I've tack welded some very large and heavy trusses, then flipped them over to fit up the other side of the truss, with only those tack welds holding it. I've never had one fail and cause a problem.

Comment

• ironroad29
                      360 AMC
                      • Nov 12, 2000

sorry i couln't stand to read it all ,did clifton ever rear his head?
                      Looking for a j truck in VA.
                      1977 impala coupe lt1 swap in progress
                      2004 crown vic LX sport
                      1997 2 door Tahoe sport
                      preparing for a bleak future...

Comment

• mountainlander
                        258 I6
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Yes he did. Basically he said, "I get my boys from WyoTech, and thats how they're taught. I've rolled 3 times with welds like that and haven't broken anything yet."

He also said the project took alot longer than it was supposed to, they screwed up on that.
                        Robert Fenton

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jul 18, 2003

While everyone else is looking at the welds, I am looking at the saw blade looking flames welded up there too. That is a hole in the head waiting to happen.
                          79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                          Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                          93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Dec 28, 2002

no havent seen that post [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            AMC/Jeep Forum
                            Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
                            ///
                            "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Dec 28, 2002

Beign a certified welder I can tell you that its just a ornamental weld but still might be enough, but by the sounds of it it wasnt enough because it was cracking. How much of a warrantee can you put on a cage after 2 years though?
                              AMC/Jeep Forum
                              Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
                              ///
                              "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

Working...
                              X