• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoadRacer_Al
    232 I6
    • Jun 18, 2018

Is a "survivor" a thing for Jeeps?

Hello everyone, Al here.

New member, new-to-me 67 Jeep Gladiator.

I have followed Bring A Trailer pretty closely for quite a few years, and know that in the car world, a "Survivor" is a big deal for some folks. They say "it's only original once" and even if you repaint it in the original color, it's not original anymore.

I lucked into a really great truck that's a low-mile survivor. Not quite up to the very high standard set by this one from Hemmings, but it's nice. It's actually way nicer than I am used to.

62k miles, original paint, never cut, never wrecked (as far as I can tell), mostly original interior (yes, unfortunately, the dash pad looked like fried pork rinds and did not come home with me).

The main thing which needs to get done to preserve the truck is weather stripping and door/window seals - they're all dry rotted and literally falling off in dusty chunks. We get rain in the winter here in Oakland - sometimes *months* of rain.

Doing the window seals is the perfect time to give the truck a proper windows-out paint job.

Given that I'm new to the Jeep community, my real question is this: would I be destroying something of value by painting it?

Do people who buy vintage Jeeps care at all about Survivors?

Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Al
  • FSJunkie
    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
    • Jan 09, 2011

The "original" thing doesn't seem to be as popular in 4x4 circles as it is in other old car circles. However, the "stock" thing is very popular in 4x4 circles.

So basically not many people are going to cry if you restore it to stock configuration, but more people will cry if you modify it with things like lifts, big tires, different engine, etc.

As for me, I like original cars. I'd probably leave it alone and just clean it up the best that I could, only repairing or restoring the tings that are truly in bad shape.
    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• mud89
      304 AMC
      • Nov 18, 2009

As FSJunkie, i like original cars, and i pay more for original and unmolested examples, but concerning Jeeps i think we are a minority. If i had to paint one of my truck, i would choose at least a color close to the colors available at the time
      J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I think a well worn old paint job looks much better than most home paint jobs. I also agree with FSJunkie, just give it a good cleaning, fix those seals, and drive it.

If you are planning to keep it, do what you want, but if you are planning to sell it, as a buyer, I would rather see the old original paint than a fresh paint job. Original paint does not hide bondo/rust/poor worksmanship. If it has a fresh paint job, I always have to wonder what that fresh paint is hiding....
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

On the older 60's ones, originality brings some pretty good coin.
          The more original/unmolested the better.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
            232 I6
            • Jun 18, 2018

So, as a compromise solution... how would a semi-gloss clear coat go over?

Being a desert truck, this has **tons** of stone chips which have oxidized on the surface, but no rust-through.

I'd like to keep it that way!!

Thanks for the perspectives, keep'm coming!

a

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

our biggest challenge is rust, under any old paint which becomes porous , rust will creep under the paint.
              You can test any good looking spot near a bubbling rusty spot and after sanding you will find rusty metal.
              it seems that your truck is located in the desert which is probably different, but be sure to survey your windshield frame inside for signs of oxydized metal
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by RoadRacer_Al
                So, as a compromise solution... how would a semi-gloss clear coat go over?

Being a desert truck, this has **tons** of stone chips which have oxidized on the surface, but no rust-through.

I'd like to keep it that way!!

Thanks for the perspectives, keep'm coming!

a
                Be sure to test a spot before you try the whole thing!
                It's not unusual for lifting of old paint to occur sometimes when the new stuff is applied. It does work to preserve patina though.
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• 440sixpack
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jul 21, 2016

You can't put clear over old paint. well, you can, but it will peel off. clear is to go over base coats and only within a certain amounts of time. it has to bond as one it's not just an accessory .

In my opinion original is the thing in any vehicle. but lets face it there is no concours judging on jeeps and probably never will be. original is good and a survivor is even better, but only if it's a nice survivor that looks good at no more than 20 feet. anything less is a nice restoration project. just keep it original if it needs restoration and you're not going to lose value.

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 18, 2018

Thanks for the input.

I think, in light of the mechanical repairs, that I'm just going to buff it out nice, and wax it up.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                      All Makes Combined
                      • Jun 30, 2003

I don't think old SUVs have to be concours or show level quality....people just like them to be the "honest" type of original.

All I can say is that when I was 19 and bought my Cherokee, the first thing I wanted to do was strip the "lame" '70s paint job and give it something "modern" or cool (even thought about camo! )- I'm so glad I decided to give that original paint scheme time to grow on me, because I wouldn't change a thing now.
                      Rob
                      1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                      Click for video

Comment

• RoadRacer_Al
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 18, 2018

Yeah, this thing is that pale yellow -- I think it's "Prairie Gold" -- that's faded to this butter cream color. Very '60s.

I can't say it's growing on me, but I'm disliking it less.

If I were made of money and time, I'd paint it Jeep Anvil Grey.

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Yellow is the worst for fading, followed by orange and red. Buffing compound might bring it back. Lots of articles online about "cut and buff."
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

Mine's yellow. and faded. and beat. and ugly.

BUT I LOVE IT!!!
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• jpcoutts
                              304 AMC
                              • Jun 28, 2002

I just read the post about the color of your rig and I think my '67 was that pale yellow originally. There is some clearly visible under the hood. It had been roller/brushed white by the time I got it. I'm sure I will eventually paint her but don't have any idea what color I'll choose. I sure liked the red on the '63 dually I sold to another member-it looks really good and gets lots of attention at the shows he takes her to! For now I'm lovin' the combo of chalky white and orangey-brown rust.
                              Jim C
                              '67 J3000 Dually
                              '86 J20
                              '79 CJ5(in pieces)
                              '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
                              Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

Working...
                              X