• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinp661
    232 I6
    • Nov 19, 2009

Chrome bumpers

I know this has been discussed a bit, but most threads are old. I understand the '79 had chrome plated aluminum bumpers, then they were all clear-coated aluminum after that. I also see many people comment that chrome and aluminum don't mix; this is what baffles me.

Every aftermarket wheel I've ever bought has been chrome plated aluminum. Has anyone had anything chrome plated that was made from aluminum in the past few years? I'm guessing this "chrome and aluminum don't mix" idea is based on 30 year old practices. In 1979 if you were buying chrome wheels they were steel but today, the best wheels are chromed aluminum.

I'm sure someone is going to tell me to just do it and see what happens, and I may. But chrome is pricey, my Karmann Ghia bumpers are running $1100 to rechrome, but I have no other option there.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Bakersfield, CA
    1990 Resto Mod Grand Wagoneer, S&J long block, stock intake and carb, Proform HEI, Elgin RV cam, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, 3" Flowmaster 40, Nations 170 amp alt, Rough Country 3" lift, BJ's brake lines, Katzkins leather seats, 1200 Watt/12 speaker Soundstream audio system, sunroof.
  • serehill
    Gone,Never Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2009

I'll give thais a shot.

Originally posted by kevinp661
    I know this has been discussed a bit, but most threads are old. I understand the '79 had chrome plated aluminum bumpers, then they were all clear-coated aluminum after that. I also see many people comment that chrome and aluminum don't mix; this is what baffles me.

Every aftermarket wheel I've ever bought has been chrome plated aluminum. Has anyone had anything chrome plated that was made from aluminum in the past few years? I'm guessing this "chrome and aluminum don't mix" idea is based on 30 year old practices. In 1979 if you were buying chrome wheels they were steel but today, the best wheels are chromed aluminum.

I'm sure someone is going to tell me to just do it and see what happens, and I may. But chrome is pricey, my Karmann Ghia bumpers are running $1100 to rechrome, but I have no other option there.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    As you can probably see for a couple of reasons long term chrome over aluminum doesn't work to well. Now there's an apples to oranges comparrison here. The bumpers like wheels are alloys not pure aluminum. Pure alumnum is too soft for wheels & bumpers. They are usually mixed with something like magnesium to make them less malleable & harder. New technology has allowed this to be a little better but most wheels now days are highly polished alloys with clear coat in the performance industry. Now donk & car wheels are chrome over alloy. These wheels fade fast if you can find some old ones but not as fast as they used to. The most popular technology of alloy centers & steel rims still exist to like Crager. Ristow did an amazing job not to long ago of stripping some aluminum bumpers & restoring them that looked great. I'm sure it was laborious & I'm not sure if they were chrome or clear chrome. He stripped but them, it looked nice. I'm sure he'll comment right now they're in off topics playing finding Ristow. Kinda like finding Nemo but dumber.
    Last edited by serehill; 07-27-2011, 03:34 PM.

80 Cherokee
    360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Crist Clapper
      I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
      • Apr 28, 2008

I'll be watching your post for others thoughts on this subject too. I did a lot of research and contacting in search to have my aluminum bumpers chromed. In summary, if you can find someone to do them... I was quoted $700.00+ each. Most shops simply will not chrome aluminum. As a result... I had mine soda-blasted, then powder-coated. I'll attach photos. They look like the original low-shine aluminum with a clear-coat on them. Really not a bad solution/look for $350.00-ish for the pair and bumper-bolts. That all said... I just recently found a place, fortunately local, that will remove the anodization and polish to a mirror shine for $300-$400 each, depending on their condition; Then is would be my choice to clear-coat. Well... That's my experience. Good luck to you! Crist

1990 Grand Wagoneer:
      Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
      Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)

Comment

Working...
      X