• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trail mule
    232 I6
    • Aug 29, 2007

Holley Truck Avenger is Awesome.

I have been driving my wagoneer with the Holley Truck Avenger around some hills and stuck and the thing is awesome . It does not stutter, or hesitate. it is really worth the price . I very highly recommend it. I will post some pictures a little bit later.
    Jesus is Coming Soon.
  • Sambo
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Sep 25, 2001

thats why my old holley 2d went back out the door
    avenger works great
    77 chero DEAD.
    84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• FSJ-Earl
      304 AMC
      • May 02, 2003

How much tuning did it need or was is ready to go out of the box?
      FSJ-Earl
      2002 F350 Diesel - tow rig / family hauler
      2008 4 door JK Rubicon - Wife's Daily Driver
      1989 GW - the one that started it all
      1983 - J15 - J10 body + J20 running gear = J15 Trail rig

Comment

• misfittom138
        350 Buick
        • Dec 19, 2007

I've been thinking about that swap for awhile. Right now the freshly rebuilt 2150 is running very well.
        81 Wagoneer 360/727/208, lockrite rear/welded front,4.10s, 7"SOA/shackle flip,3" body,OBA,37" Iroks,chopped,caged,highsteer,hydro assist....

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 06, 2004

I love mine too. I did change quite a bit to get it right, but off road, it is as close to fuel injection as you can get. Happy jeepin'!
          Kevin.
          \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.

Comment

• will e
            Always Broke
            • Nov 16, 2001

I am going to swap out my Fuel Injection for a truck avenger in about a month (i have the truck avenger on my mustang right now, long story).

i will let you know how it compares for off roading.
            82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• mark j
              327 Rambler
              • Jun 07, 2002

I have had good luck with the TA on my rebuilt 401. I started with the 770 TA but downsized to the 670 TA. Excellent startup, idle, and throttle response. I would caution everyone that these carbs are way rich out of the box. Holley sets them for sea level performance and I found them both rich at 200' elevation in Vancouver Washington. With a wide band O2 sensor they were both running about 12.5-13.3 AF ratio at cruise 35-45 mph and this would drop to 10.7-12.1 with acceleration. I had to drop the main jets down several sizes in both to get the AF ratio to 13.7 at cruise. I have since moved to Provo Utah and with the elevation changes I now have to redo the mains and likely the secondaries as well. Just at idle for a few minutes when I first started the rebuilt motor I was dumping so much unburned fuel into the exhaust that with secondary combustion my headers were glowing red hot. This was enough to dull the finish on my edelbrock ceramic shorty headers . Overall, a great carb when tuned properly.
              72 wagoneer- My first FSJ
              89 G-wag- built 401
              09 Rubicon

Comment

• yj_evolution
                232 I6
                • Jun 30, 2008

i've been wondering about the truck avenger too. can't decide if i want the truck avenger or if i want to skip it and go straight to fuel injection(i heard Howell makes a kit for AMC V8's). Maybe even propane? idk. all i know is the edelbrock on there now doesn't like any kind of angle.
                '82 Waggy
                '78 J10
                '98 XJ
                '91 YJ
                '94 XJ gone

Comment

• trail mule
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 29, 2007

I did have to do a little bit of tweaking but not that much. I live in Texas so we aren't very high above sea level. If you have the chance to go to Fuel Injection go for it. Carb's aren't usually as good as fuel injection, plus you get better mileage, which is an up these days. I got mine for $150 and also a dual port intake manifold from offenhauser for another $350.
                  Jesus is Coming Soon.

Comment

• blt2krl
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Apr 03, 2001

I had the Truck avenger for a couple of years and it worked great at first but after a few months of non use it started to act up. If you use your rig every day the tend to not gum up and stay tuned better than if they sit and are only used occasionally. I got tired of the tunning so I went with Holley pro jection and love it two fold over the avenger. It has been a set it and forget it deal.
                    Paul Hartman
                    79 waggoneer
                    AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                    DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
                    39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
                    www.cbioffroadfab.com
                    WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• misfittom138
                      350 Buick
                      • Dec 19, 2007

I have heard the Edelbrock Thunder series AVS works just as well and is easier to tune. Anyone have experience with that carb?
                      81 Wagoneer 360/727/208, lockrite rear/welded front,4.10s, 7"SOA/shackle flip,3" body,OBA,37" Iroks,chopped,caged,highsteer,hydro assist....

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 06, 2004

I figure I would post a little more info about how my truck avenger has performed. My jeep stays in my garage all the time. It comes out to go camping and/or wheeling and occasionally to go to work when it isn't 100 degrees out. Living in AZ, and not having airconditioning anymore, there is a period of three months or so that I don't drive it all that much. Infact looing back on the last three years, I have averaged only 5-6000 miles a year. Now with that being said, after I built my motor two years ago, I had the jeep dyno tuned with a wideband o2. The jeep runs awesome. I did lower the jet sizes down quite a bit, and put in a larger accelertor pump discharge nozzle. As for the carb gumming up, the jeep will sit for a month or so, and I will start it up and drive it around to keep the fluids moving. When it has sat for a month, and granted I have an electric fuel pump, I can stand outside the jeep, crank over the ignition, and after about 5-10 seconds of cranking, it will fire up and run. Again, I never touch the gas. After it has fired up and oil pressure is up, I will tap the gas to set the carb on the fast-idle cam. My carb is going on 6 or 7 years old, I have had the bowls off maybe 5 times in those years, and it is still spotless inside.

As a final note, when we went to Moab, I decided to try one of the hot tub bowls on the Hells Revenge trail. It felt like I was pointing straight up as I climbed out of it. Jeep kept running. It really blew my mind.

If you can't tell, I really like my carb.
                        Kevin.
                        \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.

Comment

• JERSEY JOE
                          304 AMC
                          • Jan 15, 2004

HOLLEY TRUCK AVENGER

GREAT REPORT KEVIN. EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE DONE, LEAN OUT THE PRIMARY AND RICHEN UP THE ACCELL PUMP CIRCUIT.
                          1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 IHC D300 FARM TRUCK NY
                          1985 CJ 7 AMC 401, CLARK 285SV 5 SPEED, DANA 60, DANA 44, RUBICON 4.5 LIFT. 37 KRAWLERS
                          1987 J-20 401 90% COMPLETED.
                          1985 J-20 360 6 inch lift, 37's plow truck
                          1986 J-20 360 stock well rusted plow truck
                          1970 AMX CURRENT PROJECT

Comment

• Sambo
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Sep 25, 2001

what size jets,nozzle are ya useing?
                            77 chero DEAD.
                            84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jan 06, 2004

Sambo,
                              after a wide-band o2 assisted tuning, I ended up with the following;

67 primary jet
                              72 secondary jet
                              35 acc pump discharge nozzle
                              10.5 power valve

Hope this helps.
                              Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                              X