• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtallent
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 04, 2002

antilock breaks

Does anyone know if its possible to put antilock breaks on an 89 GW, and what's involved?

I know people have mixed opinions on ABS, but I had one on a Bronco a few years ago and loved them. The thing would squat right down and stop on icy hills.

Love my Wag, but with its weight, I've found myself sliding occasionally and missing abs.
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

Hey J. Welcome to the board! If you don't get a lot of hits here in TOM you might go to technical.

Anyways I like your idea. I imagine if you went to disc in the back it would be easier. I think you have a DANA 44 front and rear. These are pretty popular axles. Might be something you could retro fit.
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Stuka
      • Jan 21, 2001

Anti-lock brakes require a computer to control them. Personally I hate then with a passion for rain and snow. But they are handle for dry pavement at times.

Comment

• kong
        258 I6
        • Jun 29, 2002

I got anti lock brakes on my wag. I push the pedal as hard as I can, and they won't lock-up! Too bad I don't stop either!

Kong
        81WagLtd
        401-727-219
        Lots o Mods
        25 mpg. umm wait, no... 2.5 mpg

Comment

• Waggie82lim
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 17, 2002

ABS is a nice option i would definitally convert from rear Drum to Rear disc.
          Any one know what years the wags had Drums systems in the front?
          1982 Wagoneer Limited Sold 2 years ago. Lives in a parts yard now, what a shame.<br />Its better to of experience FSJ then not have experienced it at all-Big Bad Jon<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/waggie1982limited/mywagoneer.html?1024734126809\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/waggie1982limited/mywagoneer.html?1024734126809</a>

Comment

• Stuka
            • Jan 21, 2001

my 75 has drums up front. Was the last year for the option. Mine actually has no power assist either.

Comment

• Peter Matusov
              258 I6
              • Nov 03, 2002

Jtallent,

i have ABS on the Disco. Believe me, it is a royal pain in the *** to live with - even with some benefits it provides. Off road, it is outright a huge hindrance. It seems to only work well during panic stops on dry pavement.

peter
              Peter Matusov /68 Wag/95 Range Rovers - SWB & LWB/96 Discovery - white and green/01 XC70
              AK6PM

Comment

Working...
              X