X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hump
    304 AMC
    • Aug 14, 2001

Hey Pete, do you have any pics of the amc adapter? I need to make sure the adapter I think I am getting is really for an amc motor.
    1971 J-4800 Dauntless 350/t18/d20/D44/D60
    '98 & '01 XJ both with 3" Skyjacker and BFG KOs
    '90 MJ SWB 2wd getting 4wd conversion (maybe a Buick 350!)
    '99 & '00 XJ parts Jeeps

Comment

No I do not. It is still in the 72 Wagoneer I have. First off it will need to be out of a 70 to 73 FSJ anything else would not be correct. You can eyeball it pretty easy though. one side will have the AMC 360 bolt patern and the other the Nailhead Patern. It would Look identical to the Nailhead Transmision I have pictured on one side and like the TH400 that was in front of your Q-Trac. Or the rear of your 360. Simple stuff!!!
      Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
      Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• porkchop
        Master of B.S.
        • Apr 17, 2000

Ok so then according to Bob Barry it is a nailhead pattern but it looks like the chevy pattern you have. So from what you are saying then is that there is no way that the TH400 that is in the 70 wag is from the factory?

Comment

I do not think there is any similarity between the Chevy or the Nail Head patterns at all. The only way that TH400 you have pictured got into that FSJ was it was put in by the same person that ran a Chevy engine in front of it. It is not original nor is it Nail Head bolt pattern. It is a Chevy.... That's it!!!

Comment

• J20 project
            304 AMC
            • Dec 27, 2000

CJ, As I said earlier in the start of this thread and you just agreed, there is no way it is an original tranny in PC's 70. They just never put a chevy th400 in a FSJ. Let's talk about the crank spacer though. To mate a 360 up to the nailhead I assure you it's needed. If you bolt it all up w/o it, the flexplate will be about 3/4in away from the torque convertor, so a person would be inclined to pull the convertor out to the flexplate, disengaging it from the oil pump. I cut one of the spacers down to mate my 401 w/o a hole in the crank to my late model tranny, had to space the bellhousing as well. At any rate they exist and were used on these. The only thing I'm not sure about is wether they were on the Buick set up or not. J20
            BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
            775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• porkchop
              Master of B.S.
              • Apr 17, 2000

Now it is clear . It is not my 70 wag, it is gremlin's. But thank you for clear the whole thing up for me. I am still going to talk to the PO of the 70 and find out why he swears that it is the original tranny. He was only the second owner of it.

Comment

To mate a 360 up to the nailhead I assure you it's needed. If you bolt it all up w/o it, the flexplate will be about 3/4in away from the torque convertor, so a person would be inclined to pull the convertor out to the flexplate, disengaging it from the oil pump. I cut one of the spacers down to mate my 401 w/o a hole in the crank to my late model tranny, had to space the bellhousing as well. At any rate they exist and were used on these. The only thing I'm not sure about is wether they were on the Buick set up or not. J20
                Ok I Kinda figured it would have to be the AMC 360 thing. Buick does not have the spacer, and nor does the AMC 327 if I remember correctly. I have a 360 and Nailhead trany in a 72 but it is still in it I have never pulled it, yet. When I do I guess I will be sure to pull the spacer.

[ August 01, 2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Crazy_Jeepman ]

Comment

• ArtsiFrtsi
                  304 AMC
                  • Jan 05, 2001

Sorry, But I just pulled the motor out of my 73 a few days ago, and didn't see either a spacer, or the tourque converter sticking out past the tranny bell housing... where is the spacer located, and does anybody have a picture of it set-up? I don't want to goof anything up when I put it back together...

Comment

I already know you have the AMC 360, so Ok am I to understand you have the Nailhead Trany with the AMC to Nailhead adapter, and found no spacer between the Crank and Flex-Plate? nor between the Flexplate and Torque? I would like to know this as I do not think there is one. I have looked and never seen one either, in the real world nor all my books. However everyone has been telling me about a Spacer?

Comment

• Hump
                      304 AMC
                      • Aug 14, 2001

I obviously am the last one to know, as I am a big goof up when it comes to my Jeep, but Rande said that there is a flexplate spacer that is coming with the transmission I bought off of him. I guess I can confirm when I get it.
                      1971 J-4800 Dauntless 350/t18/d20/D44/D60
                      '98 & '01 XJ both with 3" Skyjacker and BFG KOs
                      '90 MJ SWB 2wd getting 4wd conversion (maybe a Buick 350!)
                      '99 & '00 XJ parts Jeeps

Comment

• Kris
                        350 Buick
                        • Jul 05, 2000

Originally posted by porkchop:
                        I will go out and check it in the morning. I can also get some pics of it.
                        PC.

I would really like to know what tranny is in there. Original nailhead, BOP, or swapped Chevy, or....

kris.

[ August 02, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Kris ]
                        89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
                        Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                        -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

I would really like to know what tranny is in there. Original nailhead, BOP, or swapped Chevy, or
                          CHEVY If that does not convince you go to ebay and do a search on Chevy Bellhousings I think you will see that is a Chevy Transmission. It is not Original. If you are thinking a Buick 350 will bolt in.......NOPE it will not. If you would like to see the Bolt patern of the Buick I can post pics of that as well, I have em all.

Comment

• porkchop
                            Master of B.S.
                            • Apr 17, 2000

We have come to the conclusion that it is positively chevy. As to when, if at all, it was swapped in is still a mystery. I am going to contact the original owner this weekend, hopefully, and find out.

Comment

• ArtsiFrtsi
                              304 AMC
                              • Jan 05, 2001

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
                              I already know you have the AMC 360, so Ok am I to understand you have the Nailhead Trany with the AMC to Nailhead adapter, and found no spacer between the Crank and Flex-Plate? nor between the Flexplate and Torque? I would like to know this as I do not think there is one. I have looked and never seen one either, in the real world nor all my books. However everyone has been telling me about a Spacer?
                              You are correct in thinking I have not found any of that in there.. I do have the 360/ adapter/ nailhead TH400.... but there is no spacer......

Comment

• Kris
                                350 Buick
                                • Jul 05, 2000

Originally posted by porkchop:
                                We have come to the conclusion that it is positively chevy. As to when, if at all, it was swapped in is still a mystery. I am going to contact the original owner this weekend, hopefully, and find out.
                                Thanks,
                                I will call you this weekend....

kris.
                                89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
                                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
                                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
                                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
                                Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                                -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

Working...
                                X