• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blt2krl
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Apr 03, 2001

Lets Talk Fuel Cells

I'm thinking of ditching my fuel tank and going with a fuel cell. I know big pimpin rockjeep44 is using one and there must be others. What are the best brands? foam or no-foam inside the tank. what capacity is everyone running. How hard is the swap and any other type of info.
    Paul Hartman
    79 waggoneer
    AMC360/TH-400/203/205
    DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
    39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
    www.cbioffroadfab.com
    WWW.PLANET4X4.NET
  • dnixon
    360 AMC
    • Jul 28, 2002

I have nothing to input but good topic.

I think from pictures I saw that RJ44 was running a JAZ tank.

I think personally I would keep it close to factory tank capacity.

Paul you going to put yours in the back of you rig?
    All It Takes Is Money.
    I'm the reason why you can only have Jeeps for Avatars. You're welcome.

Comment

• blt2krl
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Apr 03, 2001

I want to put it in the back and incorparate the mounting in the cage design. I know summit has some good brands of stuff, and have seen some fuel cell in there. I want to keep at least a fuel supply of 16 to 22 gallons as I do due some longer rides.
      Paul Hartman
      79 waggoneer
      AMC360/TH-400/203/205
      www.cbioffroadfab.com
      WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Will Morris
        350 Buick
        • Nov 24, 2002

Well, I have no direct experience with them, but I know some guys don't like the foam because they say that it will eventually degrade and then little pieces will clog your fuel filter. As far as size, I'd say the bigger the better especially if you want to ride all day long out in Moab. The red rock desert is a pretty lousy place to run out of gas. That's about all I have to offer on the subject.

Will
        '78 Cherokee NT in GA
        '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT

Comment

• PlumCrazy
          360 AMC
          • Oct 07, 2003

Foam is great keeps the gas from sloshing around like baffles only better. Most of the tanks now have a pretty good foam that doesn't breakdown as bad as the older ones. Your fenders would more than likely rust out before the foam does.
          My license plate says "Crazy" not stupid

1971 J4000 Buick 350/TH400 "Terra"
          *STATUS Down as a summer project*

Comment

• robselina
            304 AMC
            • Feb 26, 2003

I picked up a Summit fuel cell for the Scout. It had an ancient 2 tank setup that had long ago given up. I like the overall quality of the Summit, it was CAKE to hook up and has the safety foam and all that. I haven't come up with a very appealing mounting system though. Might see if I can steal any ideas from this thread as it grows

Frankly though, why do you want to ditch your stock tank Paul? I'm going to ditch the stocker on the CJ, but that's because I'm doing coils on the rear and stretching the wheelbase. The stock tank is in the way. This is ususally why you see fuel cells on moded CJs/YJs/TJs. I can't really think of a good reason to move it on a Wagoneer (assuming your mounting location is same as my 81) It's tucked up out of the way but as low as possible, helping out your COG. If you're beating up your stock skid plate, maybe beefing that up is a more fruitfull option. You're keeping a good size tank and you're keeping your weight down low by using the stocker. Maybe I'm missing something here but there really doesn't seem much to gain...asside from BLING of course Anyway, just my $0.02.
            Rob

Comment

• Sitting Bull
              360 AMC
              • Sep 18, 2000

How does the vent work on the cells? Is there just a line than runs to outside air or do you have to plum in into the charcoal cannister crap?
              Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• blt2krl
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Apr 03, 2001

Eventually the tank will have to be moved as it is in the way for a non-QT case. I want an Atlas and the tank will be right square in the way. I have a 80's style tank out of a cherokee that I could use but I don't like how the tank sits in the skid plate/ tank holder. I plan on getting into some more hardcore trails. The cheesy skid plate will not hold up under that kind of abuse. As far as COG I'm running full width axles and 2in lift springs, so I'm not to worried about that.
                Paul Hartman
                79 waggoneer
                AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                www.cbioffroadfab.com
                WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• blt2krl
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Apr 03, 2001

Originally posted by Sitting Bull:
                  How does the vent work on the cells? Is there just a line than runs to outside air or do you have to plum in into the charcoal cannister crap?
                  usually vent throug the cap....
                  Paul Hartman
                  79 waggoneer
                  AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                  www.cbioffroadfab.com
                  WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• robselina
                    304 AMC
                    • Feb 26, 2003

Sitting Bull, the cell I got had a vented cap. I ran a single line to the fuel pump. That was it. This is on an old vehicle that didn't have any of the charcoal canister stuff anyway though. I figure you're not DOT legal with a fuel cell so just gut all that stuff and do a simple fuel setup.

BLT2KRL- Makes sense. I'd figure out which tank you want and order it relatively soon, since last I checked the larger tanks from summit and Jegs where both backordered for over a month. That was a couple of months ago though, maybe they're stocked up again now.
                    Rob

Comment

• blt2krl
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Apr 03, 2001

Thanks for the heads up on the back order. That would suck.
                      Paul Hartman
                      79 waggoneer
                      AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                      www.cbioffroadfab.com
                      WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Sitting Bull
                        360 AMC
                        • Sep 18, 2000

Originally posted by blt2krl:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sitting Bull:
                        usually vent throug the cap....</font>[/QUOTE]----------------

Sooo...let's say you leave it in the garage for an extended period of time. Will that setup leave lots of fumes? I know this really a dumbarse question, but I'm trying to get rid of the cannister on my stock tank. Just cleaning up the engine bay and try to get rid of some of the useless crap. I was thinking of moving the cannister to a location near the tank, and then just air venting. This would mean there was no vacuum suction pulling from the cannister, is this a problem?

Sorry guys, I know this is off-topic - but every topic I've started with Charcoal Cannister in the subject line seems to go nowhere. Any input would be appreciated.
                        Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• robselina
                          304 AMC
                          • Feb 26, 2003

Brad - shouldn't be any problem there at all. Gut the sucker out I've done this on my CJ and I just plugged the vent hoses that went to the charcoal canister and ran a regular vent to the air. One neat trick I was taught though was to run the vent over and under the tank, so that if I laid it on it's side or top there's always a higher spot on the vent line and I don't loose my tank of gas while getting put back tire side down.
                          Rob

Comment

• blt2krl
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Apr 03, 2001

Here is the fuel cell I think I'm going to run.
                            Fuel Cell
                            Paul Hartman
                            79 waggoneer
                            AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                            www.cbioffroadfab.com
                            WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• robselina
                              304 AMC
                              • Feb 26, 2003

Looks good paul. You'll need a hose made to fit the connections they have and then an adapter to go down to stock fuel line along with a couple hose clamps. I got it all at NAPA for pretty cheap.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X