V8 cam, intake and carb swap +Random pics of 8600/1406/3731 going in...almost there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shiner2001
    350 Buick
    • Feb 19, 2008

V8 cam, intake and carb swap +Random pics of 8600/1406/3731 going in...almost there!

Like the title says, just a few random pictures of the progress so far. I bought all this stuff forever ago, but took forever to get around to actually spending the amount of time that the project required. I've put in a couple long days in the past few days, and I ordered my Comp Cams break in additive today. Hopefully by the time it gets here I will be ready to add fluids and see where she heads when I try to crank.

A brief rundown of what's going in (this isn't anything that many many people haven't done before, but here's my trip down that road).

-Edelbrock 3731 Intake Manifold
    -Edelbrock 1406 Carb
    -Summit 8600 Cam
    -Summit G6618 Timing Set
    -Summit HT2011 Lifters
    -Edelbrock 4431 Valve Covers
    -Flowkooler 1781 Water Pump
    -Robertshaw 330-195 Thermostat
    -BJ's 5-0009 AMC V8 Bolt Kit - Hex Unpolished
    -BJ's 14-6019 V8 76-91 Fuel Pump
    -New rubber fuel lines
    -New rubber heater hoses
    -Comp Cams CCA-150 Cam Shaft Break In Lube

My AC system was already discharged, so in the pictures you will notice that the radiator and condenser are both removed from the vehicle and the transmission cooler is simply unbolted and moved out of the way with the lines still connected. I would not have wanted to tackle this project with the AC condenser in place; being able to work on the front of the engine from outside the engine bay GREATLY simplified this project. Obviously, the grille is also removed. It was also very convenient to have the hood completely removed. Mine is being replaced anyway, but if I were to do it again, I would take it off for this project. This is the first time I have tackled anything deeper than replacing a head gasket and for the most part basic hand tools will get the job done. If you have a pretty good understanding of what you are tackling and have either a factory service manual or a Hayne's (I actually preferred the Hayne's on this project as everything is fairly straightforward and doesn't really require the detail often delivered by the FSM), you should be ok to attack this in your own driveway. In addition, this forum serves as an invaluable resource for any road bumps that creep up. Many auto parts stores loan pullers for the harmonic balancer, but they are also available at Sears for about $20 (that's the route that I took). You will also need a torque wrench for reassembly. Another little piece that I picked up that I could not have done without was a u-joint adapter for a 3/8" ratchet. There are alot of fasteners in places that are just about impossible to get to without one. Do yourself a favor and add one of those and various other extensions to your toolbox. Also, one "tool" that come in more handy than you would probably think is a digital camera. Even if you don't plan on sharing your pictures with anyone, taking pictures along the way and before you ever even start (from all different angles) will help tremendously with reassembly. Bag and tag everything as well. I also recommend having another entire Jeep sitting there so you can reference that when you are trying to figure out which way this bracket or that bracket or whatever bolts back in, haha.

A few pictures...

"Baseline"

Intake manifold and carb removed. I took them off as one unit. Fair warning, if you are doing this by yourself, be ready to muscle it out. It's a pretty heavy piece, especially at arms length.

Here is a good picture of the "work area" created by taking the little extra time to get rid of everything mounted to the core support. As I said, my AC was already discharged, so that wasn't a factor for me. This is with the front accessories and water pump removed, but the main pulley still in place.

This picture is kind of blurry (apparently I'm focused on the floor, oops), but it shows the puller attached to the balancer. A few turns of the ratchet and it will pop right off. This is after the pulley has been removed, as well as the front accessories such as the alternator and AC.

This is a wide shot of what you will see after you pull off the front cover.

And what it should look like if you set TDC correctly. The dots should be lined up as they are in this picture. No matter how sure you are that you have it set correctly, it sure feels good when you pull the cover and the dots are in the right place.

BEFORE you try to pull the cam, be sure that you have the valve covers off and the lifters pulled out. If you are using a new cam, you must replace the lifters. In that case (as in this situation), I wasn't worried about saving the old lifters, so I was able to use a small magnet to pick them up slightly and then grab the edge of the lifter with a pair of needle nose to get them all the way out. In this picture, the rockers, rods and lifters are all removed.

In my case, my rods were good (roll them on a piece of flat glass to see if they are warped or bent). Your rods should go back exactly where you pulled them from, so keep them in order as you take them out.

Same goes for the rockers. I placed each one in a plastic bag and labeled the bag. When you are single, the top of the washing machine is a great place to get something out of the way where it won't get mixed up.

After removing the timing set, you are ready to slide the cam out. Mine came out easily by hand.

The old and the new.

I always hate it when in the manual is says, "installation is the reverse of removal," but in this case, it really does just boil down to replacing everything that you have just taken apart. While you are using aftermarket parts, everything goes right back where the part that is is replacing came from. If you have looked around too much or even read Edelbrock's suggestions, you will see that they recommend using a bead of RTV to seal the front and rear of the intake manifold to the block (as opposed to the rubber seals that come with your valley pan and were originally installed on your engine). This is what that looks like, although I built up the bead one more level from this picture to ensure contact with the intake manifold.

Here I have installed the new water pump, valve covers and intake.

Here I have the 1406 sitting on top and have begun running fuel lines and installing various pieces on the manifold.

That's kind of where I stand right now. Hopefully fuel and spark this weekend! Another thing that should be mentioned is to be sure to use plenty of assembly lube on any parts that have metal to metal contact, including the entirety of the cam, the rockers, lifters and rods. Also use anti-seize on all your bolts as you reassemble. You'll thank yourself next time you tear into the engine.

One more picture....I like to think of this one as the "scene of the crime"

I'm going to continue to post to this thread as I finish up. I'm trying to be thorough so that if someone searches in the future, they may be able to get alot of their info in one place. Sorry for the mundane details, but hopefully this thread will help someone along the way.
    Last edited by shiner2001; 02-04-2009, 04:02 AM.
    Derek
    ----------------
    1973 Wagoneer 360
    1978 Cherokee 360
    1981 J10 360

----------------
    1964 El Camino 357
    1972 C10 454 LS6
    1979 Corvette L82
    1979 Scout II 345
    1988 YJ 4.2L
    1991 YJ 4.3L
    1990 Suburban V2500 350
    1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
    2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------
    "If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is."
  • billyrb
    BJ's Off-Road
    • Aug 15, 2001

cool pics!
    BJ's Off-Road
    [email protected]
    Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• littlebuck23
      258 I6
      • Aug 07, 2008

Looks like fun!
      Terry

1970 Kaiser Wagoneer -SOLD (currently getting built by new owner)
      Build thread-http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=103447
      1979 Cherokee Chief WT 360. SOLD
      1977 Cherokee Chief WT Sport 401. SOLD
      1975 International Scout II (My DD)

Comment

• shiner2001
        350 Buick
        • Feb 19, 2008

Thanks guys. Fun so far...the test will be when I try to fire it up!
        Derek
        ----------------
        1973 Wagoneer 360
        1978 Cherokee 360
        1981 J10 360

----------------
        1964 El Camino 357
        1972 C10 454 LS6
        1979 Corvette L82
        1979 Scout II 345
        1988 YJ 4.2L
        1991 YJ 4.3L
        1990 Suburban V2500 350
        1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
        2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• BURT
          232 I6
          • Jan 14, 2006

locktight

I would like to sugest to you that locktight is what you should use on all the threads , service removable blue on the top stuff & pan /covers , permanent red on rod & main bolts. exhaust manifold bolts gets antisleze. locktight also prevents rust & corission
          burt

Comment

• Fiodh. Argus
            350 Buick
            • Jan 01, 2005

great thread, good shots.

Thanks for posting!
            Drew
            77 Cherokee WT

Comment

• shiner2001
              350 Buick
              • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by Fiodh. Argus
              great thread, good shots.

Thanks for posting!
              Thanks man, much appreciated. Can't wait to finish it up and see how she runs.

I also have to disagree with loctite in the engine. I understand the different scenarios for loctite and never seize, and I have to think, from a strictly engineering/metallurgy standpoint, never seize would be the best choice. That is also what BJ's recommends with their bolt kit. Gotta think they did some research before advising to always use never seize. Anyone else have any thoughts/opinions? I'd like for this to turn into a kind of "end all" thread for this group of modifications.
              Last edited by shiner2001; 02-05-2009, 02:31 AM.
              Derek
              ----------------
              1973 Wagoneer 360
              1978 Cherokee 360
              1981 J10 360

----------------
              1964 El Camino 357
              1972 C10 454 LS6
              1979 Corvette L82
              1979 Scout II 345
              1988 YJ 4.2L
              1991 YJ 4.3L
              1990 Suburban V2500 350
              1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
              2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• Ristow
                • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by BURT
                I would like to sugest to you that locktight is what you should use on all the threads , service removable blue on the top stuff & pan /covers , permanent red on rod & main bolts. exhaust manifold bolts gets antisleze. locktight also prevents rust & corission

you DO NOT use loc-tite on rod/mains. you will NOT get accurate torque readings doing so. they are oiled,or if using arp or similar,you use their thread lube.

the bolts through the timing cover should be anti-seized,all the way to the bolt head. they seize up in the aluminum cover more often than in the block. loc-tite won't prevent this.
                Last edited by Ristow; 02-05-2009, 02:52 AM.
                Originally posted by Hankrod
                Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• shiner2001
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 19, 2008

I've read before and it just stands to reason, but doesn't the return line on the fuel filter need to be oriented below the feed line to the carb (as it is in the pictures)? Just double checking on that one...
                  Derek
                  ----------------
                  1973 Wagoneer 360
                  1978 Cherokee 360
                  1981 J10 360

----------------
                  1964 El Camino 357
                  1972 C10 454 LS6
                  1979 Corvette L82
                  1979 Scout II 345
                  1988 YJ 4.2L
                  1991 YJ 4.3L
                  1990 Suburban V2500 350
                  1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                  2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by shiner2001
                    I've read before and it just stands to reason, but doesn't the return line on the fuel filter need to be oriented below the feed line to the carb (as it is in the pictures)? Just double checking on that one...

straight up. 12 noon.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• shiner2001
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by Ristow
                      straight up. 12 noon.
                      The return is supposed to be on top you mean? (opposite of the way I have it in the picture?)
                      Derek
                      ----------------
                      1973 Wagoneer 360
                      1978 Cherokee 360
                      1981 J10 360

----------------
                      1964 El Camino 357
                      1972 C10 454 LS6
                      1979 Corvette L82
                      1979 Scout II 345
                      1988 YJ 4.2L
                      1991 YJ 4.3L
                      1990 Suburban V2500 350
                      1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                      2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

yup

Comment

• shiner2001
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by Ristow
                          yup
                          Got it, thanks!
                          Derek
                          ----------------
                          1973 Wagoneer 360
                          1978 Cherokee 360
                          1981 J10 360

----------------
                          1964 El Camino 357
                          1972 C10 454 LS6
                          1979 Corvette L82
                          1979 Scout II 345
                          1988 YJ 4.2L
                          1991 YJ 4.3L
                          1990 Suburban V2500 350
                          1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                          2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• travisrda
                            258 I6
                            • Oct 18, 2008

if you have dirty parts that you want to get clean just throw them in the dishwasher and the come out great just don't let your wife catch you doing it. just a small tip from when I put my cam in..
                            J Just
                            E Empty
                            E Every
                            P Pocket

1, 77 wagon $200, amc 401 th400 quadratrack 4 in. lift 33-12.50x15
                            1984 cj-7 Soa w/401, t-18,dana 20 35-12.50x15 1974 j-10 304

Comment

• shiner2001
                              350 Buick
                              • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by travisrda
                              if you have dirty parts that you want to get clean just throw them in the dishwasher and the come out great just don't let your wife catch you doing it. just a small tip from when I put my cam in..
                              I wonder if I can fit the whole block in there...
                              Derek
                              ----------------
                              1973 Wagoneer 360
                              1978 Cherokee 360
                              1981 J10 360

----------------
                              1964 El Camino 357
                              1972 C10 454 LS6
                              1979 Corvette L82
                              1979 Scout II 345
                              1988 YJ 4.2L
                              1991 YJ 4.3L