• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Theodore
    258 I6
    • Sep 10, 2018

Had to leave the GW behind

Weve been working for the last few months to get the Grand Wagoneer reliable enough to roadtrip, with the goal being Jeep Invasion in Pigon Forge, TN in August (100 miles away). During this time, weve worked on engine timing, numerous vacuum leaks, swapped a few EFI-related sensors, replaced & gapped spark plugs, fuel gauge, fuel filter, steering gear box, power steering hoses, and even replaced the lift kit, in favor of stock height springs & shocks, along with classic whitewall tires. This after rebuilding the transmission and rear-end, and swapping out the np229 transfer case for one from a junker.

Everything was in line to make our first roadtrip since the Christmas tree trip last November revealed massive transmission leaks... and, started a slew of repairs we hadnt anticipated.

We were on our way to pick up the camper, with my wife following along in the Wagoneer, 3-4 miles from home, when this happened...

Power Steering o-ring on the high side blew out, causing a loss of power steering, and a big smoke cloud as the fluid sprayed on the exhaust manifold. Fortunately, she was able to limp it into a gas station. Game over...

After hitting multiple parts stores for parts to fix it, in the end, torrential rains forced us to punt on the repair, and call AAA for a rollback back to the house. We dumped it in the driveway, and headed to Sevierville with the camper to salvage the weekend.

Anyway, were here, and theres late model Jeeps galore, a few CJs, and late 90s/early 2000 Cherokees, but so far, Ive not seen a single FSJ... we may have blown our chance to be the only one. :-)

Sad sack...
  • chubbinius
    258 I6
    • Oct 31, 2018

That has to be seriously disappointing for your wife and you. Especially if you were pretty certain you were going to be the only ones sharing the FSJ-goodness there! Hopefully you can still go and enjoy the event and plan for the next one. Bummer that the o-ring went, but at least it was close to home.
    1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
    -Dauntless 350 V8
    -D27 front/D44 rear
    2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

dang Theadore,.... glad it was not any worse.

for what it is worth,...

that is a gorgeous wagoneer !

I love the gold ones, rare,...i think,... cause I never see many at all.

sounds like y'all have done a lot to get it reliable,...

but little gremlins do pop up on classics,...as you know.

you will be back in the FSJ soon,....enjoy the trip

at least you got a wife cool E-nuff to like FSJ's and camping.

dave in NC
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• jeepdan
        232 I6
        • Jan 18, 2011

Wow, sorry for your spoiled trip in your Grand Wagoneer.
        I just love the gold paint also, it's beautiful. Thanks for the picture.

I have thought about this a lot, and worries me.
        My wife and I are ready to restore our 91 GW that we have had for 27 years (been stored undriven for 10 years in a dry garage) and relive some of our vacation travels through the WV mountains, that we took with our young children back in the 90's.

But the thought of having to overhaul our Jeep using reman parts, and or China made junk is discouraging since most of the OEM parts have dried up.
        Last edited by jeepdan; 08-23-2019, 05:04 PM.
        2020 Gladiator Overland Gator Color (daily driver)
        91 Grand Wagoneer (in storage)
        67 Kaiser M715 (frame off restoration)
        64 US Army CJ3B (frame off restoration)
        66 M416 trailer (original "nice" condition)
        Two unrestored 56 Willys trucks (one a pickup, one a stake bed)

Comment

• Theodore
          258 I6
          • Sep 10, 2018

Despite several thunderstorms thatve blown thru so far this weekend, its been great here at the Jeep Invasion. If any of you are BleepingJeep fans, Matt is here co-located with Pull-a-Part. Met him yesterday - cool guy. His Leaf Spring swap video gave me courage to dive into the job, as Im not a mechanic.

Good news: weve seen a few FSJs. A couple are in the show (fully restored Cherokee, and a Golden Eagle pickup) - pictured below), and a couple more were out cruising the strip last night(2 Grand Wagoneers - one dark brown, one gray - Both 80s). Am hoping to see a few more today.

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
            304 AMC
            • May 01, 2004

Man, those are both sharp rigs, but i could spend hours looking at that black GE truck! That thing is what FSJ dreams are made of.
            One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
            http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
            95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
            50 CJ3A
            77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
              Man, those are both sharp rigs, but i could spend hours looking at that black GE truck! That thing is what FSJ dreams are made of.
              Great timing! That GE has a razor and a 1 piece front bumper. I just recommended that for your rig on the thread where you asked for bumper opinions.

I know the feelings of a spoiled trip all too well. I have been fighting mine for a long time, too. You'll get to reliable. Patience will get you there.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Theodore
                258 I6
                • Sep 10, 2018

Saw a couple more FSJs yesterday evening: a teal blue Wagoneer called Little Miss Headturner, an orange one. Wasnt able to grab a pic of either, but I did find Little Miss Headturner’s Facebook page. Looks like she was in the show last year.

Comment

• Theodore
                  258 I6
                  • Sep 10, 2018

Got back home yesterday, and jumped on the Jeep to find the culprit.

Crushed o-ring.

Comment

Working...
                  X