• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brielly
    350 Buick
    • Dec 30, 2002

Exhaust Options

My exhaust is completely shot-needs new everything from the manifold back. Unfortunately they do not make replacement parts for 6 cylinder rigs. I was quoted $750 for a new system but would like to try to go the DIY route. The shop was going to use a newer XJ cherokee downpipe and modify as necessary, then run the rest of the system. I'm wondering if the tail section of the exhaust that runs over the rear axle from the V8 is the same or similar to the 6 cyl? If I could use that piece it would save me lots of aggravation and I'd only have to deal with the downpipe. Anyone have any experience with piecing together your own exhaust? Is this a reasonable job or should I just pay to have it done?
    For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*
  • fsj454
    Long time member
    • Jan 02, 2015

Tailpipe

Those Malker tailpipes do not last but 2 years up here in the northeast on my 1990 GW. Or these Malker FX muffler on my 3rd. Malker mite work for some in different states but up here they don't. If you feel the need to use those parts use band clamps on pipes for easy replacement . My 82 Cherokee has flowmaster 2 1/2 mandrel bent pipe KIT. Hooker Big tube header . Stainless hushpower mufflers . kITS ARE GOOD for long term .
    1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• brielly
      350 Buick
      • Dec 30, 2002

I agree the walker stuff gets eaten by salt but unfortunately I can't afford to do a stainless system. I also don't drive my rig when they salt the roads so my pipes are more likely to rust from the inside first. I'm going to check some other shops for a better price if not I'm going to give it a shot.
      For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*

Comment

• nograin
        304 AMC
        • Dec 19, 2000

Good luck. It used to be pretty easy to get a decent Midas shop to make up an alumunized system. The cards would let them bend up the pipes in the shop without a bunch of trial and error/design time.
        '85 Grand Wagoneer
        360 727auto, NP229
        body by beer (PO)
        carries wood inside
        no "wood" outside
        My other car is a fish

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

$750 for a single 6 cyl exhaust? That seems high. I paid $300 for a 3" Y-pipe from my headers to the muffler I bought/provided, then $250 for the single 3" tail pipe from the muffler out the back and new hangers. Muffler was $120 Borla.

Does that $750 include a cat?

I think you should be able to have a single 2.5" exhaust made for less. It's a pretty straight forward system and you could get a decent muffler for $50-75. I have no idea if the tail pipes are the same between V8 and 6cyl so no help there.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Cat back is the same most years of the V8 and 6 cyl. On the front of mine is a ‘93 ZJ 4.0L front pipe with Chicom replacement flexy header. The pipe between those two mated up with a short extension to the 4 bolt catalytic converter flange and I used the XJ hanger bracket from the AW4 or AX15 setup.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
            X