• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirtfarmer
    232 I6
    • Aug 14, 2012

Time to install the Bj's 4" lift. But have a question

Finally got the front half of my J10 back from the Body shop and before the box is done I want to install a BJ's 4" lift since it will be easier without a box in the way. So here is my question. This truck supposedly had a 2.5" lift on it when I bought it. The rear is pretty evident it was just a block under the springs. But the only thing I see on the front is possibly the shackle on the front of the leaf. But the Shackle looks almost factory. So the question is, does the leaf originally just go into the pocket below the frame or is there some sort of shackle. Or maybe it only had a lift block on the rear and no lift on the front. Is that shackle original or is it the 2" lift
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln
  • addicted
    Big Meanie
    • Dec 11, 2004

The front lift is in the springs. You will just take them out and put the new ones in. Nothing special.
    Originally posted by Ristow
    i bet it was Simon....
    he's such big meanie that way...
    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• Dirtfarmer
      232 I6
      • Aug 14, 2012

Originally posted by addicted
      The front lift is in the springs. You will just take them out and put the new ones in. Nothing special.
      The new lift is in the springs, but what I dont know is, are the front shackles currently on the truck factory or part of the old lift.
      "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Suddendeath
        327 Rambler
        • Dec 26, 2010

Your shackles on the truck are stock. The springs shown in the picture on the front of the truck are NOT stock. They are some sort of lift spring, maybe ranchos? Not sure, has some weird almost-military wrap thing going on.
        1990 GW:
        Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
        10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

I would replace all 4 shackles(or just bushings) while you're @ it.
          Look @ the rubber on those front shackle bushings...

Crown IIRC makes/sells replacement shackles they're ~$20/ea.
          Or, if you have access to a press you can install new ones(rubber) in the old shackles.
          Or, you could install poly in the old shackles.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Dirtfarmer
            232 I6
            • Aug 14, 2012

yes I got new poly ones with the lift

Comment

• Tad
              • Nov 30, 2001

The front springs that are currently installed look like Rancho 44044's which are 2.5" lift on our rigs.
              There should be some numbers painted on the upper side if they are still readable. They also look to be in pretty good condition.

If they are the Rancho springs and you want to get rid of them I would be happy to talk price with you. I could probably have someone from Lincoln come pick them up although I would still need to get them to AZ (on my dime of course).
              2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
              EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
              Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• e_digg
                258 I6
                • Oct 26, 2009

Originally posted by Dirtfarmer
                yes I got new poly ones with the lift
                You are going to have fun removing those package labels from the new springs! Just had to on mine.

The poly inserts for the shackles are an additional item and not included with the springs. At least they are for BJ's. For the press fit I heated up the inner metal tub and pulled it out. Then used a 1-1/4 drill but to remove the rubber. I then used a sawzall and cut the outer ring at the spot in the shackle where the metal circle is welded together. There is an area that has a small recess where a smooth cut can be. A local machine shop can also remove them for a small fee. Mine was $14 per shackle to remove and press fit the new ones as well.
                1991 Grand Wagoneer
                My 91 Phoenix Build Thread

Comment

• Dirtfarmer
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 14, 2012

Tad, once I am sure I like the 4" lift and have no desire to reinstall I'll let you know. Or maybe I'll keep them for a future project.
                  e-digg, thanks for the info on removing them, I have a 20 ton press here so I might be able to get them out with that. I bought the Poly bushings with the lift springs and checked today and it has shackle bushings also.

Comment

Working...
                  X