• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ngasman
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 10, 2014

Headliner Board

I am restoring a 1977 Jeep Wagoneer that has no headliner board and no headliner bows. I was planning to use a couple pieces of 1/8 " luann as headliner board with 3M adhesive and some nice headliner material that I purchase online. What are most people using as headliner board today ? I can't imagine using chip board because it's too thin - or cardboard because of it's inflexible nature. Thanks for the help. Jeff H, Pittsburgh, PA
  • mdcptman
    Jeep Therapist
    • Apr 09, 2010

SMS headliners makes a replacement. Also people have used 1/8 abs plastic. you can buy it in big sheets and cut to fit.
    There is also a universal kit pretty cheap from Automotive interiors to replace the original fabric and bows.

We offer many headliner options for your vehicle. Foam backed headliner fabric can recover your existing board. Bow supported headliners are available in cloth or vinyl. And ABS plastic headliner boards to replace your worn cardboard headliner.

Even though mine is a later model, I considered going with the fabric for the retro cool factor, and the price. In the end I wimped out and went with SMS.
    Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
    88 Grand Wagoneer
    360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
    Edelbrock 2131
    Holley 600
    Hydroboost
    Hedman headers
    Dual exhaust
    MSD6A, TFI
    Digital Gauges
    Rusty's 2" Lift
    31x10.5 15LT15s
    Quote From Friend's Mom:
    "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• SIUADOG
      232 I6
      • May 18, 2014

SMS headliners is great, and they can affordably ship it to you.
      Just Empty Every Pocket

1988 Grand Wagoneer
      AMC 360
      727 TF
      No modifications so far... Yeah, I'll probably keep it stock.

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• cntryby
        232 I6
        • Jan 08, 2008

CorrugatedPlastics.Net is the place to find all of your 2mm 3mm 4mm 5mm 6mm 8mm 10mm 13mm 16mm 19mm 25mm corrugated plastic sheets, pads, corrugated plastic rolls, bins and boxes. The only site that can provide all the tools for your plastic corrugated needs.

If you have a little skill, this works pretty good, I've used it in a trailer. Cut a single line in the corners, fold it over as you fit it in the corner, mark the excess and trim it out. (kind of a pie shape.) fold it to make a smooth surface and gorilla tape the back of it. Once you glue the headliner material on there it will be beautiful.

Tip, don't press to hard on the headliner material when putting it on the board, the glue will squish into the foam backing on the material and cause dimples.
        Grey haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.

Comment

• cameronb1988GW
          230 Tornado
          • Apr 17, 2016

Just for people that might be searching the forum for a headliner board source. I got an email from Doug at SMS this morning. He says he does not make the boards at this time.

Comment

• Coondawg
            258 I6
            • Jun 14, 2007

Strange, I got a quote from him not too long ago (2/3 months?)

Comment

• DieselSJ
              304 AMC
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by cameronb1988GW
              Just for people that might be searching the forum for a headliner board source. I got an email from Doug at SMS this morning. He says he does not make the boards at this time.
              I just got the same response from him. He is out of the business for at least 3 months.
              -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
              -99 XJ Limited.
              -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
              -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• KdkGrizz
                232 I6
                • Jul 18, 2014

I got my headliner from ZM Jeeps Ltd in Toledo, OH I am not sure where he ordered it from but ran me $325 But it took awhile to get it.

Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
                360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...

Comment

• cameronb1988GW
                  230 Tornado
                  • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by cntryby
                  http://www.corrugatedcoroplast.com/6...ticSheets.html

If you have a little skill, this works pretty good, I've used it in a trailer. Cut a single line in the corners, fold it over as you fit it in the corner, mark the excess and trim it out. (kind of a pie shape.) fold it to make a smooth surface and gorilla tape the back of it. Once you glue the headliner material on there it will be beautiful.

Tip, don't press to hard on the headliner material when putting it on the board, the glue will squish into the foam backing on the material and cause dimples.
                  In your opinion, would the 8 or 10mm be better to work with than the 6mm, or worse?

Comment

Working...
                  X