• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djmac
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

Can timing control cause a surge at idle

I have a GM based Multi Port EFI controlling my Ford 460 engine (controls ignition timing too) . I got it thru CUSTOMEFIS about 5 years ago and it has been very reliable. I have been chasing down a surging idle for the last bit. I have changed the intake and T body gasket, checked all the vacuum lines and changed MAP sensor and the IAC valve with no improvement. It occurred to me that that maybe the timing might be causing the issue so I disconnected the timing wire and sure enough the idle sucked but it was steady. I forgot to mention the idle is good until the motor warms up. So is it possible that the timing is somehow surging impacting the idle speed and if so what would cause it.
    82 J10 SOA 6" SPRINGS D60-D70 W/DETROIT LOCKERS 38x15.5 TSL'S on 12" M/T CLASSICS 460 V-8 C-6 CUSTOM EFIS EFI AND HYDROBOOST
  • Bill USN-1
    258 I6
    • Nov 11, 2006

The timing can do it if the timing table around your idle speed is not smooth.

But if it has not done this since you owned it and it only recently started then the timing table has not changed.

You are probably lean and it causes a lean roll at idle.

Vacuum leaks and an old O2 sensor are the normal causes.

The system may need tuned to your engine.

Log data and post it up.
    If your not sure how just hit the FAQ's in the injection forum on binderplanet.com.
    Bill USN-1
    Fuel Injection Moderator at BinderPlanet
    Hamilton Fuel Injection
    75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
    1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS

Comment

• mdcptman
      Jeep Therapist
      • Apr 09, 2010

Are u still running the AIR smog system with the CTO valves? IIRC, custom efis tbi recommendded keeping all th smog stuff. If so, then one of th CTO valves may be bad, and could leak, or not shunt th vaccum where u need it.
      Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      88 Grand Wagoneer
      360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
      Edelbrock 2131
      Holley 600
      Hydroboost
      Hedman headers
      Dual exhaust
      MSD6A, TFI
      Digital Gauges
      Rusty's 2" Lift
      31x10.5 15LT15s
      Quote From Friend's Mom:
      "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• djmac
        350 Buick
        • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by mdcptman
        Are u still running the AIR smog system with the CTO valves? IIRC, custom efis tbi recommendded keeping all th smog stuff. If so, then one of th CTO valves may be bad, and could leak, or not shunt th vaccum where u need it.
        No smog at all, I will take her for a ride Friday and post a log
        Thank guys
        82 J10 SOA 6" SPRINGS D60-D70 W/DETROIT LOCKERS 38x15.5 TSL'S on 12" M/T CLASSICS 460 V-8 C-6 CUSTOM EFIS EFI AND HYDROBOOST

Comment

• djmac
          350 Buick
          • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by Bill USN-1
          The timing can do it if the timing table around your idle speed is not smooth.

But if it has not done this since you owned it and it only recently started then the timing table has not changed.

You are probably lean and it causes a lean roll at idle.

Vacuum leaks and an old O2 sensor are the normal causes.

The system may need tuned to your engine.

Log data and post it up.
          If your not sure how just hit the FAQ's in the injection forum on binderplanet.com.
          I noticed in a post about a Howell system not idling well you mentioned to make sure the map sensor vac line is going to the right port on the TBI? Is there a right or wrong port on the throttle body of a multi-port system? I assumed as long as there is vacuum present I was good.

Comment

• Bill USN-1
            258 I6
            • Nov 11, 2006

First, are you sure of the multiport and not TBI.
            If the throttle body has 2 injectors mounted on top it is a throttle body system.
            If you have 2 fuel rails and an individual injector on each intake runner then it's multiport.
            I didn't remember john at Custom EFI selling MPFI but I'm sure he could have.
            just want to make sure were on the same page.

But for either system the map reference does matter.
            The map needs to be a full manifold vacuum and not a ported or single runner vacuum like where the vacuum brakes are normally connected.

Even with MPFI you will have a throttle body. It should have vacuum ports on it. most have one opposit of the others to isolate it from them so they won't interfere in the vacuum signal.
            For TBI the map port is on the back between the fuel lines and there are a port and a manifold vacuum connection on the front.

Here is a MPFI and you can see a ported(above the throttle plate) and the manifold port (below the throttle plate.

The port you want will have full vacuum on it at idle. A ported vacuum source will only have vacuum on it as you open the throttle blades.

Bill USN-1
            Hamilton Fuel Injection

Comment

• djmac
              350 Buick
              • Aug 19, 2003

Ok, I checked out my vacuum connections and they seem to be fine and I started going thru the check list for initial startup from binder planet. I found that my throttle plate setting wrong and was not allowing the IAC to control the throttle. I actually got the throttle to level out reasonably well and the motor was idling for about 10 minutes and then suddenly stalled and then it did it again shortly after. I noticed that it idles well and then for some reason the ECU is going into open loop and then the truck stalls? Any ideas what is going on with the open loop? My understanding is that is should be in open loop when the o2 is cold or at WOT but should it be going to open loop on a warm idle?

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 18, 2003

Mabey the 02 sensor is cooling off at idle?
                Is it a 1 wire sensor?
                79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Bill USN-1
                  258 I6
                  • Nov 11, 2006

With a cam OL idle is preferred.
                  If the fuel table is tuned for your engine then OL idle is better.
                  A lot of our older designed engines will maintain a more stable idle without the "lean roll" that can sometimes occur in closed loop idle.

So if your engine is dieing then I would look at logging data and adjusting the fuel table for a proper tune.

There is nothing wrong with having an OL idle.
                  Like you mentioned, it is OL at startup.
                  there is also a timer and rpm limit that must be met (and can be adjusted) before dropping into OL idle.

I also reviewed your log with 8d351 but didn't hear back from you.
                  The long and short fuel trim is off based on the histogram.

I know you use Datamaster Not sure how 4.0 displays data. but a switch to the super8D adx in tunerpro5 may help you with more useable data.

You will need to import the ecu file to convert for the xdf to tune with and import the ads to an adx to log data.
                  I have them already converted if you need me to email them to you.
                  Last edited by Bill USN-1; 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM.
                  Bill USN-1
                  Hamilton Fuel Injection

Comment

• djmac
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by JeepsAndGuns
                    Mabey the 02 sensor is cooling off at idle?
                    Is it a 1 wire sensor?
                    Yes it is a one wire sensor but I do have an aftermarket cam so I am going to take Bill's advise on using the Open Loop to help smooth out the idle.

Comment

Working...
                    X