• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TGrandWagon
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 06, 2020

Bought a 1990 Grand Wagoneer

I am very excited as the body has zero rust but vehicle needs work. The windows were going up and down slowly and 3 out of the 4 door locks don't work. I took apart the rear drivers door panel to find out that I don't have the flex track windows and have the metal cable style. What type of grease should I use to lubricate?
    I discovered that the felt on the inner window channels is deteriorated and needs to be replace. I cant seem to find where I can buy replacements or how to replace them. What do I use to lubricate the felt in the tracks?

I cant seem to find any video on how to replace the power door lock actuators.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.
  • jeepman42
    232 I6
    • Mar 13, 2019

90 gw whats next?

Suggest u buy a copy of Haynes Jeep wagoneer & pickup 72-91. Also, if you plan to do much work yourself, buy a copy of the 2 volume shop manual for1990. the internet will not solve all your issues. Haynes about $20, Jeep manual $100. both worth their weight in gold. good luck, Chas
    Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

For door internals, window linkages etc I use white grease(lithium grease). Sure not the only lube to use but it's always worked for me for many decades. Stays soft and stays in place. To lube the felt window channels i spray'm occasionally (yearly?) with silicon spray.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jeepman42
        232 I6
        • Mar 13, 2019

new GW90

Joe answered 2 of your ?s As to parts look up Team Grand Wagoneer or BJ's Offroad. My experience w replacement lock motors is -they sometimes work-Maybe a direct wire from the battery would help.LOL. Also the ''90 turn screw window lifts seem to be dependable. no probs w my '90; my '85 nylon strip just broke yesterday!
        Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

You can buy the window felts/seals/etc. lots of sellers even rockauto.
          But yes BJs offroad caters to just fsj.

Download a real manual for FREE

Haynes or Chilton is a poor choice for a manual.

Test the lock motors with 12v I bet they are working fine and do not need replacement.
          The switches/wiring is 99% the culprit.
          You can take apart/clean the switches after 40yrs they are nasty inside or toast.
          Same with any other electrical gremlins look @ the connection/wires not uncommon for issues and usually easy to resolve any with some work.

Slow windows are also usually poor switch function or wiring also old window seals/felts/etc. cause friction and need to be replaced.
          Again 40yr old stuff and most of time in poor condition.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• jeepman42
            232 I6
            • Mar 13, 2019

reply to Babywag

Add my sorrow for your GW issues. Agree Haynes not everything & covers many yrs. I still use it & the manual all the time. Has some electrical diagrams that my 85 Manual doesn't have. Downloaded '85elect.but my copy wasn't clear enough-old eyes?? '90 manual has complete electrical diagrams. (just wish I was better at moving the info to the truck)Thanks for your ground /connection reminder. I recently spent hours on my'85 &finally found the grounding screw I had taped but not flagged so I wouldn't lose it.Now have headlights again!
            Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• TGrandWagon
              230 Tornado
              • Jan 06, 2020

I am downloading the manual thanks. Taking awhile. I have a silly question while I download.
              Is it possible to change the felts in lower part of the doors only?
              Are the lower channels in the doors removable to be able to do that?

Comment

• jeepman42
                232 I6
                • Mar 13, 2019

Lower door felt replacement

Think that lower outside rubber, inside felt can be removed by lowering window & muscling them out-easier w a Lisle puller-online or auto supply. Side felt require total window disassembly as felts are riveted & I thought were tough to replace!!??
                Easy doesn't do it!!

Comment

• TGrandWagon
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jan 06, 2020

Thanks I was afraid of that. Wish there was a YouTube video on that..

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

X2 on the silicone spray in the felt window channels. I put all brand new stuff in the doors and tailgate and the silicone made a huge difference in reducing drag. Especially the T-gate.
                    Melford1972 says...
                    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra
                    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• SC/397
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 01, 2010

When he says zero rust, he means Zeeeeero rust!
                      IMG_3618 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

My buddy Bruce and I are teaming up to give the Waggy a "Tune Up"
                      I will be building the engine and he will do the rest including the EFI system.
                      Click on the vid to see the first major issue.
                      Fun stuff!

IMG_3768 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                      The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                        258 I6
                        • Jun 11, 2017

That's a beautiful Wagoneer!

I've just seen the question above about greasing the cable-style window regulators.
                        With mine, I squirted a load of aerosol silicone lubricant down the end of the cable tube whilst working the window up and down. It made a big difference in window speed!
                        1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                        1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                        1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

Working...
                        X