• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beach_Dude
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 03, 2011

Tailgate window stuck

After pulling apart the opening, while the window was 90%, to lube and oil the gears, I went to lower the window and it wouldn’t lower. So I thought to myself “Hmmm… Maybe I’ll try rolling it up…”

It ends up being that wasn’t the best of ideas either. It rolled up and now I can’t roll it back down! I’m happy that this isn’t a daily driver, but I’d still like to use the tailgate. While diagnosing I've noticed that when I push the switch to have the window go up, the lights dim, therefore there's power. However, the down switch does nothing. Also, the rear (exterior) key swith for the window does nothing (no dimming lights). Could they be related? Should I just order a new swith for the exterior?

I know there are some technical posts on ifsja.org, but is anyone familiar with this problem? Are the parts still available, is there another motor that I could upgrade to in the process of pulling it apart?

Just generic ideas if anyone has any.

And as always, thank you guys for your information. By the way, here’s a picture of the ‘Giant Orange’ with its original paint; I just wiped off the dust to see how it looked:

Last edited by Beach_Dude; 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM.
    1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
    360 w/ MC 4350
    All stock but ignition and slightly modified suspection
    Original paint, garaged/non-op for over 15 years
  • chr1s
    360 AMC
    • Jun 17, 2003

The largest resource for full size Jeep information on the net! The IFSJA is a community of owners and enthusiasts of SJ series Full Size Jeeps.
    87 Grand Wagoneer -(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)- "TROLL SMASHER II"
    88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
    "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

• brielly
      350 Buick
      • Dec 30, 2002

Since the window is up you can access the motor. Disconnect it and jump it to a battery to make it go up and down. I just dealt with this over the weekend and mine turned out to be the safety switch. I bypassed it and now the dash switch works fine. Maybe you will be lucky too.
      For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*

Comment

• Beach_Dude
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 03, 2011

I don't know how it could be the safety switch if the 'up' position draws power from the circuit. Also, after reviewing one of the trouble shooting guides, at the end it references that the exterior switch could be bad, as mine is (evidently).

If I recall, the safety switch disconnects all power, or at least the 'up' motor setting', from the electric motor. Correct? I have plenty of 12awg wire. So I'll run some to the batery, place a temp switch between them, then try powering the motor.

If I reverse the polairty will it lower the window?

As always, thanks for the ideas and help!
        1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
        360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• Blake
          304 AMC
          • Dec 22, 2005

I would love to see a write-up, complete with pics.
          Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• Chrome
            Ph.D in Redneckology
            • Aug 30, 2002

If the glass is part of the way down pull out gently on the top of the glass. My Cherokee does this sometimes and the culprit is the inside tailgate release handle. The hardware for the handle sticks out just enough to catch the metal track that the glass sits in. A gentle pull will move the track just enough to slip over the hardware.

EDIT: Yes, you can reverse the polarity if power is the problem.
            Last edited by Chrome; 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM.
            ..,=====,o00o
            //__l_l_,\____\,__
            l_---\_l__l---0
            lllllll0
            _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\

Comment

• Beach_Dude
              327 Rambler
              • Mar 03, 2011

I'm about 95% sure that the problem is electrical/motor.

As said, I can tell that power is being drawn from the circuit because the light dims when I use the 'up' switch, but nothing is drawn from the 'down' switch. Also, as said, the exterior switch doesn't work.

Furthermore, the window had gone up and down many times without the tailgate being opened. The tailgate hasn't been opened in at least two years.

To test the motor, I have to ask this again though.

I can't see the wires running to the motor since thy're behind the mount/mechnaisms. Does anyone know where the "Tailgate Switch" is located? Is it built into the motor, behind the exterior key switch or somewhere else?

Section 3 - 86 of TSM : http://noltek.com/Section3.pdf

I'm going to follow the manual, then give a go at ifsja.org's tech posts.

Wish me luck!
              Last edited by Beach_Dude; 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM.
              1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
              360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• Daddio
                258 I6
                • Dec 13, 2008

My key switch in the tailgate went bad and it had similar symptoms as yours.

Do you have a 12v source like a portable jump start battery with a power outlet?

If so, you can find the plug to the motor and unplug it. Next carefully take the 2 wires and touch them to the plug contacts going to the window motor. Reverse them if it doesn't go the correct way.

Originally posted by Beach_Dude
                I'm about 95% sure that the problem is electrical/motor.

As said, I can tell that power is being drawn from the circuit because the light dims when I use the 'up' switch, but nothing is drawn from the 'down' switch. Also, as said, the exterior switch doesn't work.

Furthermore, the window had gone up and down many times without the tailgate being opened. The tailgate hasn't been opened in at least two years.

To test the motor, I have to ask this again though.

I can't see the wires running to the motor since thy're behind the mount/mechnaisms. Does anyone know where the "Tailgate Switch" is located? Is it built into the motor, behind the exterior key switch or somewhere else?

Section 3 - 86 of TSM : http://noltek.com/Section3.pdf

I'm going to follow the manual, then give a go at ifsja.org's tech posts.

Wish me luck!
                '88 Grand Wagoneer, towing package, 360 .030, Holley Street Dominator intake, Holley Projection, rv cam, double roller timing chain, HEI, CS144, oil pump mid plate, Thorley Headers, BJ's 3" exhaust, and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWWCj...layer_embedded

Comment

• Dumpy
                  304 AMC
                  • Jan 30, 2009

The safety switch is on the drivers side, on the side of the tailgate. Unfortunately, the tailgate has to be down to access it. In order to bypass it, you will need to do like others have said and go directly from the battery. The motor is located behind the big gear on the right (you are looking at it from the inside, of course. The wires are on the top of the motor. In order to safely test the motor so that you don't get the glass stuck down (no promises), pull the motor. Be very careful. 1st thing to do would be to jam the gears to keep them from slamming down and relieving you of your extra fingers. There are holes in the gears you can use. 2) remove the screws holding in the motor. If should come out with the gear. Now you can test it form the battery without it closing and getting stuck. If it works, you need to reinstall the motor, and make sure you connect wires on both terminals! And make sure they are secure!!! If they are in the way, the glass could pull them off and disconnect them, leaving you to try to make the connection with a coat hanger. Ask me how i know. Use the battery to drop the gate, and bypass the safety switch. Two screws, pull the wires, and splice them. This is also a good time to see if electricity is getting through those wires with a cheapo test light. Use the battery to raise the glass again (with the gate up or the glass could fall out) then test with your original wires.
                  Justin
                  '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
                  "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

• thome
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 05, 2004

cheap fix

It sounds like your key switch is broken. I was having the same issue with my switch until the window just stopped working. I've read that when the key switch breaks it causes the inside switch to burn out. I'm sure if thats 100% true, but that is the order my switches when out.

http://www.ipendia.com/ArticleRead.aspx?id=2138

My window was stuck in the down position until I found that site. The hardest part is making the bracket. Make sure you get all the material and tools before you start and it should take less than an hour.

I couldnt find the Pollack switch, but Cole Hersee makes an identical switch, model #: CH-55065-03. I was able to pick it up at O'Reilly's.
                    daniel

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                    Howell TBI, Doug Thorley Headers, BJs Offroad Exhaust, Street Dominator Intake, 360/229/727, trac-loc, BJs 4 in lift, HydroBoost brakes, 31x10.5, Hella H4 headlight upgrade

Comment

• Brizio
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Apr 11, 2008

Tailgate window stuck
                      Welcome to the club!
                      brizios.com
                      Small Scale Jeeps
                      Brizios

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                        327 Rambler
                        • Mar 03, 2011

Originally posted by Brizio
                        Welcome to the club!

Why thank you!

I'm going to see if I can get some work done this afternoon. If I can't, I'll be sure to take a bunch of pictures and writeup something simple to describe the diagnosis procedure.

You guys have given me a ton of info. Thank you as always!
                        1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                        360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                          327 Rambler
                          • Mar 03, 2011

Want to ask another question before I pull the entire tailgate apart. I'd rather have the parts ready.

Is the 77' tailgate window switch the same as the 79-91 tailgate window switch? I'm not referring to the safety switch, but rather the "tailgate window switch".

Everything I've read so far uses the "grand wagoneer" tailgate switch for repair/replacement.

I plan on doing a pretty good write with pictures while pulling it apart if I have to, which it sounds to me I have to.

Thanks again for all your help guys!
                          1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                          360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

• Beach_Dude
                            327 Rambler
                            • Mar 03, 2011

So, I took a few hours from my slow Thursday to try and diagnose the tailgate window today. Let me use the pictures to discuss what I did and why I did it. Sorry about the out of focus pictures. They're from my iphone.

First off, I had to diagnose the front switch to verify there was power to the switch, verify the resistance when the switch is in use for both the up and down position.

Power from 12g Red:

The Switch:

Ohms (resistance) test:

Since all seemed to be fine with the switch, I crawled under the rear portion of the jeep, removed the spare tire, pulled all the wires away from the frame to verify ‘what is what’. It was pretty simple to spot the power lead because it’s the only Red 12g wire on the harness.

What a mess:

So I connected the ground to the ground wire, which is at the rear of the vehicle, near the bumper, bolted to the chassis, disconnected the Red 12g power lead, and then tested. What do you know… no power. I played around a little, rubbed the ground with a wire brush, scrapped it, moved the live test lead back and forth; still no power.

No power to Red 12g:

However, while down there I did take a few other pictures to show you guys the wires from the Dash Switch circuit. They’re the Tan and Brown wires. Also, take note on the rubber conduit that goes straight up into the tailgate from below the vehicle.

Circuit from Dash Switch (Brown & Tan):

Rubber conduit that takes circuit to tailgate:

Conduit leading to tailgate:

Since there was power in the front, and not the rear, I switched the breakers/fuses, repeasted, and still no power. The only other option was to test the wire harness that connects to the firewall/breaker/fuse panel, that run the length of the frame to reach what I showed before.

What do you know… They were covered in sludge. So I took some carb cleaner, sprayed a little, took an old toothbrush, scrubbed a little, used a blower to dry it, used some light socket lube, and all is fine!

Sludge covered terminals:

I studied the whole system quite well before tackling this. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to shoot me a PM and I can give you a few good pointers on how to diagnose what’s wrong, electrically that is. If you need help with the mechanics, there are the tech references posted within ifsja.org.

Best of luck and willing to help.
                            Last edited by Beach_Dude; 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM.
                            1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief
                            360 w/ MC 4350

Comment

Working...
                            X