X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSJunkie
    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
    • Jan 09, 2011

A bad AMC 360 still makes more oil pressure than a good Buick 350.

Buick oil pumps are like AMC oil pumps but even stupider. Imagine the AMC pump but 2/3 the size. You have to build a Buick pump really tight for it to make any oil pressure what so ever, and I mean TIGHT. .002" of end clearance is good. Any tighter and the shrinkage of the aluminum housing in wintertime temperatures will eliminate the clearance and lock the pump solid. Then you strip the distributor gear the instant you turn the key to start the engine.

Ask me how I know.

That brings up another point. Think the AMC distributor gears are prone to stripping and wearing? HAHAHAHA! Buicks are worse. The gears are smaller and have far less oil supply. They strip and wear out so easy.

In other words the AMC is a fantastic engine in comparison.
    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• SC/397
      Administrator
      • Feb 01, 2010

The original timing covers both AMC and Buick were made at Dohler Jarvis in Toledo. I saw them hanging in their display case about a hundred years ago.. Well, it was in the early 80's before they tore the building down anyway. AMC used 3 other companies as well. If I had a lot of time to waste, I could probably figure out which ones were made where and what years they were made in. The Dohler Jarvis ones have the "DJ" logo on them. Others were SKRL, CF, CFC, and when cryco took over I think they use a re-boxed after market one because they had no logo at all. I could be wrong on the cryco ones but they weren't as good as the rest.
      The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

Working...
      X