X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SC/397
    Administrator
    • Feb 01, 2010

It sounds better to me. The bent push rod is troublesome. My thought is that by being too short, it jumped out of it's pocket and maybe got bent on from the guide area in the head trying to hold it in place. If it was a single lifter issue, the noise would stand out as only one event. The noise sounds even to me. Those type of aftermarket valve covers are not as good as the stock ones for masking valve train noise. They make the valve train noise sound worse in my opinion. Keep running it and if it gets worse we will have to look deeper in to the valve train.
    Last edited by SC/397; 07-13-2019, 05:06 AM.
    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• posulli88
      258 I6
      • Dec 18, 2016

Thanks for all your help Rick! (I still need to send you that pushrod I totally forgot ) I still have the original valve covers, maybe I put them back on to see if it helps with the noise. I am and will continue to run it and monitor the noise. All the power is there and its a ton of fun to drive!!
      77' J10 w/ 360, T18, Dana 20 TC

Comment

• seventynine
        350 Buick
        • Apr 13, 2003

FWIW...when I rebuilt the 360 in my '79 Wag about 20 years ago I had a very similar sound. It drove me nuts...I was all over it with a stethoscope so many times I lost my perspective. I changed out the pushrods and had the valve covers off a bunch of times. I just gave up on it eventually. It ran great...and still runs great. It's in one of my CJ's now. I dont know if it still ticks or not...I haven't thought about it in 20 years ;->
        Dean

'79 J10
        '77 Cherokee Chief
        '79 CJ-7
        '79 CJ-5
        '46 CJ-2A
        '93 ZJ Limted
        '79 Cherokee Chief (traded for the J10)
        '79 Wagoneer (RIP)
        '13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

The ticking sounds too fast to be valvetrain to me. It really seems to have the same rhythm the injectors would have.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• posulli88
            258 I6
            • Dec 18, 2016

Well I checked the fuel pressure for the holley sniper today to make sure it was still the right pressure. And it was dead on 58-60(which is where it is suppose to be) on key on and when running. I have read too high or too low can cause really noisy injectors. But I checked the sound again and its definitely not them, the injectors are making noise but not this noise. Although I am not able to listen to the noise in the engine bay when driving obviously haha.

I will keep monitoring it. Its definitely only really comes on when the engine is up to temp.
            77' J10 w/ 360, T18, Dana 20 TC

Comment

Working...
            X