• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Guilbeau
    304 AMC
    • Apr 17, 2002

U-Joint University

Who knew?

A new series of videos on universal joints, constant velocity joints, and driveshafts. We will cover their history, proper nomenclature (names), joint types,...

For all of us Texaco High Graduates... That's right folks a 7-Part series on U-Joints... bottom line is use Spicer non-Zerk's

Kick back and enter the world of U-Joints and details, details, details...
    Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Coming from a guy that has had my share of U-joint issues and things to try and figure out, I have to say that the link to the videos is one of the best contributions on any forum I have encountered in quite a long time.
    THANKYOU! I am passing these on to a few friends.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
      304 AMC
      • Apr 17, 2002

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
      Coming from a guy that has had my share of U-joint issues and things to try and figure out, I have to say that the link to the videos is one of the best contributions on any forum I have encountered in quite a long time.
      THANKYOU! I am passing these on to a few friends.
      That is the definition of the difference between an upset and trauma...an upset happens to other people, trauma happens to oneself...dang...
      Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper

Comment

• ZackN920
        350 Buick
        • Nov 18, 2015

hmm, does it cover doing U-joints at the end of the front axles? Mine are beyond shot...
        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
        Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
        ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• xabn82
          232 I6
          • Jan 01, 2016

7 hours of U joints...who knew
          1973 J4000

Comment

• J20 project
            304 AMC
            • Dec 27, 2000

Who knew???? Welll.....

Well, I did.

One of the things which my father taught me was not a good thing.

After the 3rd time in my youth where we limped out of the mountains during elk season due to a u joint,,,I kind of vowed to never have that problem myself. Since then I have not had a u joint failure due to my PM.

Now at 57 yrs old I am building/rebuilding and servicing all types of driveshafts as a retirement plan.

It is interesting as I seem to have 3 types of customers.

1) Folks who want the cheapest thing they can buy...Pretty sure they are all going to sell their rig next month.

2) Folks like me who putter around under their rig occasionally w/ a grease gun checking and double checking stuff and doing PM on their rig.

3) Folks who want to set their rig up with the highest possible quality available and not have to touch anything for 100K..

All of these methods work on some level....do whatever it is you do,,but:

Understand what it is you are doing. Either change regularly, PM regularly, or plan for some time in the future. Each has a quantifiable cost. Choose which one you are going to ascribe to.

Have fun folks and if you need any support or have questions, PM me.

J20
            BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
            775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• xabn82
              232 I6
              • Jan 01, 2016

Originally posted by J20 project
              Well, I did.

One of the things which my father taught me was not a good thing.

After the 3rd time in my youth where we limped out of the mountains during elk season due to a u joint,,,I kind of vowed to never have that problem myself. Since then I have not had a u joint failure due to my PM.

Now at 57 yrs old I am building/rebuilding and servicing all types of driveshafts as a retirement plan.

It is interesting as I seem to have 3 types of customers.

1) Folks who want the cheapest thing they can buy...Pretty sure they are all going to sell their rig next month.

2) Folks like me who putter around under their rig occasionally w/ a grease gun checking and double checking stuff and doing PM on their rig.

3) Folks who want to set their rig up with the highest possible quality available and not have to touch anything for 100K..

All of these methods work on some level....do whatever it is you do,,but:

Understand what it is you are doing. Either change regularly, PM regularly, or plan for some time in the future. Each has a quantifiable cost. Choose which one you are going to ascribe to.

Have fun folks and if you need any support or have questions, PM me.

J20
              Can I send you my driveshafts when I'm at that point?
              1973 J4000

Comment

• J20 project
                304 AMC
                • Dec 27, 2000

Be happy to rebuild them for you.
                J20

Just PM when ready.
                BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

Working...
                X