• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Marneaus
    360 AMC
    • Jun 16, 2010

Looking for input on how to upgrade 1973 alternator for EFI/HEI

My alternator is either 37amp or 55 amp. I'm going to be running EFI and potentially HEI.

Whats the best method to upgrade my charging system?

I see everybody go crazy for CS144's, but I don't know how all that works when upgrading from an externally regulated system, and also on a wiring system only designed for 55 amps max....I've done bunches of searching but cant really find much. It looks like MAD Enterprises makes a kit that is aimed at doing this but they dont offer instructions without buying the kit.

Help?
    Originally posted by FSJunkie
    Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
    The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
    1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

If it was me I'd remove the current one & external regulator.
    Not hard to put a 10si in it's place.
    Wiring one up is easy peasy.

Did it on my '72 CJ5, and the '73 I had.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Mike7009
      350 Buick
      • May 26, 2003

Here's the link to my post about this. Maybe it will answer some questions.
      I also commented on ur facebook post

I've found some info on the newer jeeps but not to much on upgrading the alt on a 74 cherokee with 360. I currently have the stock one with the external regulator on the fender. So far its still working ok but I'm probably going to upgrade the headlight harness and headlights and It got me thinking about a more powerful alt.
      Last edited by Mike7009; 05-25-2016, 12:49 PM.
      -74 Cherokee 360, qt part-time, 4" lift 33's
      -90 waggy, soa w/ford f250 axles
      -Subaru legacy gt wagon. turbo
      -2012 tundra trd rock warrior

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

Really

The wiring size has nothing to do with alternator draw. A bigger alternator will not use more power so the wiring is fine. The larger alternator will not change the utilization of the wiring at all or make it use more power. You should target 80 to 100 amps why cut corners.
        Th 144 is a great HD alternator & what I run but it isn't necessary on a low electrical use rig.

Last edited by serehill; 05-25-2016, 04:46 PM.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
          360 AMC
          • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by serehill
          The wiring size has nothing to do with alternator draw. A bigger alternator will not use more power so the wiring is fine. The larger alternator will not change the utilization of the wiring at all or make it use more power. You should target 80 to 100 amps why cut corners.
          Th 144 is a great HD alternator & what I run but it isn't necessary on a low electrical use rig.

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/10si.htm
          those are pretty helpful diagrams, thanks.

I sent you a message over on the other forum but we can talk here if thats easier.

I have found a 10SI that is supposedly "motorola replacment" which means it has a 1" thick mounting ear on the cover. This is a 94 amp rated alt.

I have also found a seller on ebay that provides the aluminum covers that are for Motorola conversions as well. I guess this only pertains to the mounting bracket, however. So if I get a 78-82 mounting bracket or a later style york AC compressor mount (mine is missing the mounting point for a late style alternator bracket) that all becomes a moot point.

I never intend to make this some hardcore electrical rig, but I likely will run a performance coil, the EFI, and either single or dual electric fans in the end. I think 100ish amps would be sufficient for my needs. I'm not sure I'd ever be running a winch or any number of lights, any big sound system or anything like that.

Would you suggest trying to work with that 94 amp motorola replacement unit, or getting something like a powermaster 100amp 10SI and either adapting the cover or my bracketry to work with it?

Andrew,
          I gotta tell ya I 'm not a auto parts alternator fan. The specifications mean nothing. I'm A quality alternator guy & have had good luck with the Powermaster ones. I don't think you need more than a 100 amp system if you don't have a winch. You may have to work with some spacers to get he delco to work but it will with later model mount set up. the mount set ups are easy to come by to move the correct type of mount. I have seen the 10 SI in a early model mount I have no idea what it takes to get it to work.
          Last edited by serehill; 05-27-2016, 01:51 PM.
          Originally posted by FSJunkie
          Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
          The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
          1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

simple

100 amp power mater all the way.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Working...
            X