International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Drivetrain

Old 03-16-2002, 01:01 AM
BJ's Off-Road

I know we all talk alot about carbon monoxide and exhaust flowing back into our wags while driving. I have the factory deflector wing, but still I worry about the fumes. Has anyone ever tested the location of the exit pipe to see if the fumes are less or more (into the cab) while driving? This would probably be something that would have to be tested in a wind tunnel with computer systems, but I figure it is at least worth asking.

~ryan
Old 03-16-2002, 02:54 AM

How about if I just put about 10 students in a wag and see which one passes out first. This won't solve the problem but it will tell you where not to sit.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 03-16-2002, 04:09 AM
Geriatric Doctor of FSJs

Question

GEEEwilliekers If the DRIVER goes first does that mean we get rid of all ten of'um ........ ...ds..
Old 03-16-2002, 09:11 AM
Perfesser of Jeepology

that's why you test with the poor performers
1987 Grand Wagoneer
AMC 360/TF727/NP229
1999 Wrangler Sport
4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Quote:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction” by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...
Old 03-16-2002, 11:09 AM
BJ's Off-Road

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tadsal:
How about if I just put about 10 students in a wag and see which one passes out first. This won't solve the problem but it will tell you where not to sit.<hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I almost choked on my drink while reading that! TOO funny, Tad!

~ryan
Old 03-16-2002, 11:19 AM
Jerk

Lightbulb

ok here's what you do....side pipes! "YEAH MANG, jou jus' crooz down de boolevar' wich jour chrombed side pipes, mang, an' jou pick up the sen-yor-it-tahs all over eh-town, mang! maybe lower the truck 6" and add hydraulics, mang, jou are all set!" Whoa, where the He11 did that come from? In all seriousness, what about in front of the rear tires? you may have to move the gas tank with duals or run them both out the passenger side. How about a deflecter on the pipe itself to deflect exhaust away from the rear airstream? wherever you run it, they say its a really good idea to have the exit behind the crew compartment... which pretty much means strait out the back, logically. maybe put a strait back system on (from manifold to rear bumper) and add 6" so it stays away from the rear window/tailgate seal. I don't know, who else has rusted through rear quarte panels on their wag/chers? this is a GREAT way to get fumes into the cabin- way to go JEEP!
Old 03-17-2002, 03:53 AM
BJ's Off-Road

As much as I don't like the looks, I probably will have it turn out just behind the rear passenger wheel, and have a little down-turn adapter put on.....not sure yet, though. I have a pup who will be riding in the back of the wag, and, of course, I will HAVE to have the window down for him.....although he can be a pain in the rear, I wouldn't want to kill him with exhaust fumes.....at least not yet.....

~ryan
Old 03-17-2002, 05:52 AM

Cool

because of the negative pressure area at the rear of the wag or SUV types when tootling down the road, ex gasses can be vacumed into the pass compartment.

AND since most OE designers have the ex pipes turn left or right just after the rear tires, it wood seem a good place to start. this where i have mine located.

i wood have exited the pipes B4 the rear tires, but i get hi centered alot and that wood crush the pipes too often.
(Soon to be TBI)
"If it aint leaking, it's empty!"
Old 03-17-2002, 10:24 AM
Master Mechanic

You may be suprised how much exhaust is actually coming through the body. I had to put a new floor board in mine... so I pulled the whole interior out. Everything. A lot of exhaust can be drawn in near the rocker panels when you are sitting still. The body of these things has plenty of places were fumes can come in a travel through. Especially towards the rear where the exhaust exsits. I'd pull my interior panels off in the back and take a look and see if there are some "invisible" holes. I would take care of any rust I found while doing this. Then fill it with fiber glass...and fiber glass insulation. If you do that in the very back (where the factory speakers are) it may improve the sound of the stereo too.Plus in mine the inner fender wells in the back had lots of "loose" places where exhaust could come in... Check all that stuff... Good luck
Old 03-18-2002, 12:45 AM
BJ's Off-Road

The body on mine is rust-free, so I am a little more lucky. But, when I get ready to install new carpet, I will yank every piece of carpet and padding, clean everything, and seal ALL bolt holes / joints / seams with body sealer. This should help out quite a bit. Also, not sure if anyone else does this, but if you remove the cargo area side panels, and look into the wells, there are lots of opportunities there for holes. Check em' and seal em'. Take part of an afternoon also and lay under your rig.....inspect the exhaust system and check for leaks / holes, etc.

~ryan
Old 03-18-2002, 03:56 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Just make sure ya don't seal the drain holes for the fender wells. That was the cause of rust in my '90 GW.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:37 AM
Master Mechanic

To Billyrb...WOW a rust free FSJ!!!!!!!!! Lucky isn't the word.. Some of what I am talking about is the way it's put together..not just rust. There are spot welded seams that start to bow with age... I guess that's what causes it. Anyway..like I said it's full of passages.. It may not hurt to insulate 'em for other reasos like road noise and climate control. That air conditioner (if ya got one) would work better, and so would the heat. Just my opinion...unless the insulation gets wet for some reason it shouldn't have any negative effects. I still like tadsal's idea.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:38 AM
FSJ Maniac

Cool

I'm spray foaming all around the edges in "Woooooof's" rear quarters. I hate dust more than rust but if I can keep the dust out then water will have a hard time getting in there also, along with fumes. Most of the outside elements come in through the tail lights on mine. I couldn't believe all the light shinning in around those rear wheel wells. I love that spray foam.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:26 AM
Geriatric Doctor of FSJs

Ryan!!........I thought RUST FREE ment you didn't have to PAY for it??? ..Right at the top of the rear tire...that lip on the fender..is only spot welded and leaks water...Also the clip-holes for the chrome strips and tail lights leak..I noticed my rockers are Galvanised .........ds..
Old 03-20-2002, 09:19 AM
BJ's Off-Road

Pay??? ME pay? Didn't you know, I'm a cheap son of a gun????

~ryan
Old 03-22-2002, 06:32 AM

Cool

My Wag has a 3" set up with it exiting behind the right reat tire, the only time I get fumes is with the rear window down while I'm at a stop, or if I only have the rear window down. If the front window is open it creats enuff pressure to blow everthing out the back. Although not everyone can roll around all year with the front windows rolled down.
Phil Langelier<br />Moreno Valley Ca.<br />College Student (Bio-Chem)<br />81 Wagoneer \"FEJ\" or \"The Flesh Eating Jeep\" <br />360/stock w/stock drive train<br />3\" lift w/ 33 12.5\" BFG A/T\'s<br />Dual gas tanks (45 total gals!)<br />Conferr roof rack (soon to hold 4 forward facing lights 2 rear facing, a hi lift on the side and my CB anntena)<br />The only Tan one around here<br />Whiteguyphil@netscape.net
Old 03-24-2002, 08:54 AM

I just had to replace my ENTIRE exhaust system thanks to a water hole and a Kia Sportage. Fun story..... anyways, I ran the pipe out the side behind the rear tire. I was going to go with straight back, but seeing as how I have a trailer hitch I use and I didn't want to carbon up my trailer, I stayed with the side. I asked about in front of the rear wheel and was told 2 things. 1, the pipes will become a LOT smaller if a large object (like the ground) were to apply pressure on the pipes and also, the wheel spinning in the well will suck the fumes and stuff into the drain holes in the wheel wells..... There ya go.... By the way, I went from 2 3/4 pipes off the manifold to 3" into the cat, into a 36" glass pack and then a 3" exhaust pipe for my 258.... sounds NIIIIICCCE!
Old 03-29-2002, 10:07 AM
Jeep Idiot

The system I had on my wag at first came out under the rear bumper and you want to talk about fumes being sucked in, it made your eyes water. I went to outlets behind the rear tire and do not have this problem any more.