• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeepdawg
    232 I6
    • Jun 09, 2003

1974 J20 emergency brake question

My J20 has one pin welded on each frame rail with a small hole drilled in it that a piece of hardware is suppose to attach to that takes the play out of the emergency brake cable. I'm not talking about the part where the cable from the foot tensioner attaches to the equalizer cable.

Both of mine were gone when I bought my truck. Can someone post a pic of what this part is supposed to look like?
    1974 J20 Pioneer, ZZ/8,000 GVW, 401-4V, QT.
  • Mike D
    350 Buick
    • Jul 29, 2002

how about a pic ....

Is the cable still there ?
    64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
    50 truck
    63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
    And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• Jeepdawg
      232 I6
      • Jun 09, 2003

the cable is there but I'm missing the two corner tensioners

Comment

• Mike D
        350 Buick
        • Jul 29, 2002

ok ....

So what missing is near the rear axles coming down from the frame or else where ?

I have a 72 wagoneer ... id think its kinda close to the same ...
        63 J is probably a bit too old ...
        64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
        50 truck
        63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
        And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• bufurd
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 13, 2008

My guess is about a 3/16 Rod with a J hook on each end holding the cable over to the sides, they did it different over the years. My 74 J20 parking brakes work great but it's not how the factory did it, the brake end cables are off an early chevy (they're the bolt on type, had to space em out some but work good), I don't trust the peddle (and it frees up space in the cab) as all my Jeeps they'll release on there own so I went with an electric actuator bolted to the cross member, got a equalizer cable that was close and made it work. Didn't use any linkage off the frame that you're asking about, direct from actuator to cables coming from backing plates, works great, I can lock em up on black top if I engage while rolling. I have thought about using a light spring where you are talking about as the actuator I used has a 3" stroke and disengaged there is some slack in the equalizer cable. Good luck.

Current fleet
          Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
          Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
          Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
          Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
          07 JK Wife bought new...
          13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• Jeepdawg
            232 I6
            • Jun 09, 2003

The parts I am missing attach to the frame rail on a pin. They are not near the rear axle.

I have seen parts diagrams that call them J Hooks, so I can probably fabricate something if I know what it looked like.

I don't know why but I cannot post pictures. I am hoping someone can post a pic of what the factory setup looks like.

Comment

Working...
            X